* 23.0.60; Coding system troubles since two days
@ 2008-03-27  9:25 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-03-27  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Since I updated my emacs CVS checkout on march, 26th in the morning
(EST) I have some very frustrating coding system issues.  They appeared
first when using Gnus (I couldn't read mails of one of my colleagues),
then I got some errors with rcirc (which I cannot reproduce).

First I've thought it was a Gnus related problem, but now I tend more to
say it's something in the coding system handling of emacs.  There are a
few mails/postings of mine with more details, e.g. one of the mails I
cannot open on the ding@gnus.org list / gmane.emacs.gnus.general group.

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66565
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66567
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66568
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66570
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66573

Maybe the following change causes the troubles?

,----
| 2008-03-25  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>

[...]

| 	* process.h (struct Lisp_Process): Remove filter_multibyte.
| 	* process.c (QCfilter_multibyte): Remove.
| 	(setup_process_coding_systems): Don't use filter_multibyte.
| 	(Fstart_process, Fmake_network_process): Don't set filter_multibyte.
| 	(read_process_output): Don't adjust multibyteness to filter_multibyte.
| 	(Fset_process_filter_multibyte): Change the coding-system to
| 	approximate the previous behavior.
| 	(Fprocess_filter_multibyte_p): Get the multibyteness straight from the
| 	coding-system.
|
| 	* coding.c (decode_coding_object): When not decoding into a buffer,
| 	obey the coding system's preference of (uni|multi)byte.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2008-03-27 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10400090
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr' '--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--program-suffix=-emacs-23' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-23' '--without-carbon' '--with-sound' '--with-x' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xpm' '--enable-font-backend' '--with-freetype' '--with-xft' '--with-libotf' '--with-m17n-flt' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--without-hesiod' '--with-kerberos' '--with-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus' '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-march=i386 -O0 -g' 'LDFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  yas/minor-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  window-number-meta-mode: t
  window-number-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  exec-abbrev-cmd-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
I SPC r e p l a c e d SPC t h e m SPC m a n u a l l
y SPC t o SPC g e t SPC t h e SPC m a i l SPC s e n
t . SPC SPC A n y o n e SPC k n o w s SPC w h a t SPC
c o u l d SPC c a u s e SPC t h o s e SPC s p o n t
s y s t e m SPC t r o u b l e s ? C-c C-c y q <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e b <return>
<return>

Recent messages:
250 2.1.5 Ok
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as D18AD439C
221 2.0.0 Bye
20080327T100446.982> Opening nnml server on archive...
20080327T100447.010> Opening nnml server on archive...done
Wrote /home/heimdall/News/archive/sent-messages-2008/138
Sending...done
20080327T100449.912> Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
Auto-saving...

* Re: 23.0.60; Coding system troubles since two days
@ 2008-03-27 10:17 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-03-27 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn <thorn+news@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Since I updated my emacs CVS checkout on march, 26th in the morning
> (EST) I have some very frustrating coding system issues.  They appeared
> first when using Gnus (I couldn't read mails of one of my colleagues),
> then I got some errors with rcirc (which I cannot reproduce).
>
> First I've thought it was a Gnus related problem, but now I tend more to
> say it's something in the coding system handling of emacs.  There are a
> few mails/postings of mine with more details, e.g. one of the mails I
> cannot open on the ding@gnus.org list / gmane.emacs.gnus.general group.
>
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66565
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66567
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66568
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66570
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66573
>
> Maybe the following change causes the troubles?
>
> ,----
> | 2008-03-25  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> |

> [...]
>
> | 	* process.h (struct Lisp_Process): Remove filter_multibyte.
> | 	* process.c (QCfilter_multibyte): Remove.
> | 	(setup_process_coding_systems): Don't use filter_multibyte.
> | 	(Fstart_process, Fmake_network_process): Don't set filter_multibyte.
> | 	(read_process_output): Don't adjust multibyteness to filter_multibyte.
> | 	(Fset_process_filter_multibyte): Change the coding-system to
> | 	approximate the previous behavior.
> | 	(Fprocess_filter_multibyte_p): Get the multibyteness straight from the
> | 	coding-system.
> |
> | 	* coding.c (decode_coding_object): When not decoding into a buffer,
> | 	obey the coding system's preference of (uni|multi)byte.
> `----

It seems, I am right.  I did

  % cvs up -D "2008-03-25 06:00"
  % make bootstrap

to get the last working version and the entry on top of src/ChangeLog
now is

,----
| 2008-03-24  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
|
| 	* casefiddle.c (casify_object): Avoid pathological N^2 worst case if
| 	every char is changed and has a different byte-length.
| 	(Fupcase_word, Fdowncase_word, Fcapitalize_word, operate_on_word):
| 	Fix int -> EMACS_INT.
`----

Now my Gnus works again.  So could you please double-check if that
change was valid?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: 23.0.60; Coding system troubles since two days
@ 2008-03-27 14:34 ` Tom Rauchenwald
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2008-03-27 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Tassilo Horn <thorn+news@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
> usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

> Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
> and the precise symptoms of the bug:
>
> Since I updated my emacs CVS checkout on march, 26th in the morning
> (EST) I have some very frustrating coding system issues.  They appeared
> first when using Gnus (I couldn't read mails of one of my colleagues),
> then I got some errors with rcirc (which I cannot reproduce).
>
> First I've thought it was a Gnus related problem, but now I tend more to
> say it's something in the coding system handling of emacs.  There are a
> few mails/postings of mine with more details, e.g. one of the mails I
> cannot open on the ding@gnus.org list / gmane.emacs.gnus.general group.
>
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66565
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66567
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66568
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66570
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66573
>
> Maybe the following change causes the troubles?

in the last mail you say you get these:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument characterp 12269800)
with rcirc.
I get similar ones with ERC. So there seems to be a problem somewhere.

Tom

--
Then I drew in a breath, and my renewed will with it, lifted the rod
in my right hand, murmured a phrase in a language I didn't know, and

* Re: 23.0.60; Coding system troubles since two days
@ 2008-03-27 14:34 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-03-27 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

> Since I updated my emacs CVS checkout on march, 26th in the morning
> (EST) I have some very frustrating coding system issues.  They appeared
> first when using Gnus (I couldn't read mails of one of my colleagues),
> then I got some errors with rcirc (which I cannot reproduce).
[...]
> Maybe the following change causes the troubles?

Have you tried to revert the change to see if that's indeed the culprit?
Also, would you be able to make up a reproducible test case?

* Re: 23.0.60; Coding system troubles since two days
@ 2008-03-27 15:01   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-03-27 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Tassilo Horn

>> Since I updated my emacs CVS checkout on march, 26th in the morning
>> (EST) I have some very frustrating coding system issues.  They
>> appeared first when using Gnus (I couldn't read mails of one of my
>> colleagues), then I got some errors with rcirc (which I cannot
>> reproduce).
> [...]
>> Maybe the following change causes the troubles?
>
> Have you tried to revert the change to see if that's indeed the
> culprit?

Yes, please see my followup to my original bug report on emacs-devel.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg02677.html

cvs up -D "2008-03-25 06:00" fixes the problem for me.

> Also, would you be able to make up a reproducible test case?

I don't know how.  I'll attach one of the mails that triggered the
problem.  After reverting my emacs to ""2008-03-25 06:00" I can view
them normally with Gnus, but if I try to save the mail to a file (`O f'
in the *Summary* buffer), I get this:

,----
| These default coding systems were tried to encode text
| in the buffer ` *temp*':
|   (utf-8-unix (403 . 4194294) (749 . 4194300) (788 . 4194276) (840 . 4194276)
|   (853 . 4194276) (892 . 4194271) (1701 . 4194300) (1937 . 4194300) (1938
|   . 4194271))
| However, each of them encountered characters it couldn't encode:
|   utf-8-unix cannot encode these: \366 \374 \344 \344 \344 \337 \374
|                                   \374 \337
|
| Click on a character (or switch to this window by `C-x o'
| and select the characters by RET) to jump to the place it appears,
| where `C-u C-x =' will give information about it.
|
| Select one of the safe coding systems listed below,
| or cancel the writing with C-g and edit the buffer
|    to remove or modify the problematic characters,
| or specify any other coding system (and risk losing
|    the problematic characters).
|
|   utf-8-emacs
`----

I saved it as raw-text and utf-8-emacs, both files are attached.

One interesting thing: I marked the text above with the mouse and
inserted it into another emacs window with a middle mouse click.  There,
instead of \NNN I get: ö ü ä ä ä ß ü ü ß

This other emacs window I pasted into is a current CVS emacs from today
which includes your change, if that matters.

[-- Attachment #2: broken-mail.raw-text --]

From: Claudia Obermaier <obermaie@uni-koblenz.de>
Subject: Re: Frage zur Dissolution
To: Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:13:20 +0100

Hallo,

ich bin auch etwas verwirrt von dem Beispiel. Irgendwas ist da faul.
Der Subgraph relativ zu {C,~A} sollte eigentlich

         ~A
C  v    &

sein. Aber auch wenn der Subgraph so aussieht und nicht wie in deiner
Lösung, ist das ganz kein c-Block. Denn wie du richtig bemerkt hast,
macht der c-Pfad {~A,D} Probleme. Der schneidet den Subgraphen zwar,
aber ist kein Cpfad. Also ist der obige Subgraph noch nicht einmal ein
C-Block.

Ich vermute, dass sich hier ein kleiner Fehler eingeschlichen hat.
Wenn man das rechte C durch ein anderes Literal ersetzen würde, dann
klappt das Beispiel. Dann wäre C v ~A der Subgraph relativ zu {C,~A} und
das wäre dann tatsächlich auch ein "strong c-block".

Gruß
  Claudia

Tassilo Horn schrieb:
> Hi Claudia,
>
> ich hab mal eine Frage zum Dissolutions-Paper.  Auf Seite 508 unten
> geht's um "strong blocks".  Demnach ist ein Subgraph ein c-block, wenn
> alle c-paths, die mindestens einen Knoten von H beinhalten, "durch H
> durchgehen" (pass through H).  Das ist der Fall, wenn die Knoten des
> c-path, welche in H liegen, wiederum einen c-path in H bilden.
>
> So weit, so gut.  Jetzt soll ein starker c-Block ein solcher sein, durch
> den alle c-paths des Graphen laufen.  Als Beispiel wird der Subgraph
> relativ zu {C, ~A} angegeben.
>
> Wenn ich alles korrekt verstanden habe, so ist dieser Graph folgender
> (~ = nicht, & = and):
>
>                   ~A
>                    &
>
> Wenn man jetzt aber den c-path {~A, D} betrachtet, so würde ich meinen,
> dass das ein Gegenbeispiel ist.  ~A ist in dem vermeintlichen Block
> enthalten, ist aber nur ein partieller c-path darin, denn er ist im
> c-path {~A, C} komplett enthalten.
>
> Wo liegt mein Denkfehler?
>
> Viele Grüße,
> Tassilo

[-- Attachment #3: broken-mail.utf8-emacs --]

From: Claudia Obermaier <obermaie@uni-koblenz.de>
To: Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:13:20 +0100

Hallo,