* Re: master b4f504a0ea: Load desktop without prompting if process is dead
@ 2022-03-24 14:50 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-03-24 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> +(defun desktop--emacs-pid-running-p (pid)
> +  "Return t if an Emacs process with PID exists."
> +  (when-let ((attr (process-attributes pid)))
> +    (equal (alist-get 'comm attr)
> +           (file-name-nondirectory (car command-line-args)))))

This assumes that command-line-args resolves symlinks in the Emacs
program's name?  Or that the 'comm' attribute in process-attributes
does NOT resolve symlinks?  Because otherwise the above will cause
false negatives.  And on Windows, there's the issue of the ".exe"
extension, which could be in one, but not the other, I think?

* Re: master b4f504a0ea: Load desktop without prompting if process is dead
@ 2022-03-25 15:28 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-03-25 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> This assumes that command-line-args resolves symlinks in the Emacs
> program's name?  Or that the 'comm' attribute in process-attributes
> does NOT resolve symlinks?  Because otherwise the above will cause
> false negatives.

It's a heuristic -- I don't think there's any real way to reliably find
other running Emacs processes.  They could be called anything.  But
it'll work in the default case, which is what matters here, I think.

> And on Windows, there's the issue of the ".exe"
> extension, which could be in one, but not the other, I think?

Yes, perhaps that should be adjusted.

* Re: master b4f504a0ea: Load desktop without prompting if process is dead
@ 2022-03-26  7:30   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-03-26  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:28:30 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > This assumes that command-line-args resolves symlinks in the Emacs
> > program's name?  Or that the 'comm' attribute in process-attributes
> > does NOT resolve symlinks?  Because otherwise the above will cause
> > false negatives.
>
> It's a heuristic -- I don't think there's any real way to reliably find
> other running Emacs processes.  They could be called anything.  But
> it'll work in the default case, which is what matters here, I think.
>
> > And on Windows, there's the issue of the ".exe"
> > extension, which could be in one, but not the other, I think?
>
> Yes, perhaps that should be adjusted.

I installed a fix, please take a look.

* Re: master b4f504a0ea: Load desktop without prompting if process is dead
@ 2022-03-26 16:40     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-03-26 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes: