* Elpa question: helping with maintainance of a package in Elpa
@ 2024-02-06 15:57 Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2024-02-06 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Phillip Lord

I am helping Phillip to maintain his pabbrev package. He has given me write
access to his repository on GH, and I was able to update the package with few
patches It is currently just a "facelift" to skip compiler warnings when
installing.

Do I understand the information in readme file from Elpa repository correctly: I
don't have to do anything special more than just update Phillips repo for the
package on GH, since the Cron job uses that URL to update the package
automatically if the version is changed? Or do I need to do something more to
get the new version into Elpa too?

Since this is just a minor release; not new features, no changes in usability it
does not have to have "announcement" on this list, or do you always announce?

Thanks for the help in advance
Best regards
/arthur

* Re: Elpa question: helping with maintainance of a package in Elpa
@ 2024-02-06 17:00 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-02-06 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: emacs-devel, Phillip Lord

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> I am helping Phillip to maintain his pabbrev package. He has given me write
> access to his repository on GH, and I was able to update the package with few
> patches It is currently just a "facelift" to skip compiler warnings when
> installing.
>
> Do I understand the information in readme file from Elpa repository correctly: I
> don't have to do anything special more than just update Phillips repo for the
> package on GH, since the Cron job uses that URL to update the package
> automatically if the version is changed? Or do I need to do something more to
> get the new version into Elpa too?

The cron job will synchronise the mirror with the changes made on the GH
repository.  Just note that to release a package, you'll have to bump
the version tag (any commit changing the line with the version number
should do).

> Since this is just a minor release; not new features, no changes in usability it
> does not have to have "announcement" on this list, or do you always announce?

No, package updates are usually never announced on emacs-devel.

@ 2024-02-06 17:17   ` chad
From: chad @ 2024-02-06 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Arthur Miller, emacs-devel, Phillip Lord

On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 12:02 PM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
wrote:

> > Do I understand the information in readme file from Elpa repository
> correctly: I
> > don't have to do anything special more than just update Phillips repo
> for the
> > package on GH, since the Cron job uses that URL to update the package
> > automatically if the version is changed? Or do I need to do something
> more to
> > get the new version into Elpa too?
>
> The cron job will synchronise the mirror with the changes made on the GH
> repository.  Just note that to release a package, you'll have to bump
> the version tag (any commit changing the line with the version number
> should do).

Note (mostly for future search results): "version tag" in this context
means "the line
in the file that looks something like ";; Version: 0.4", rather than
anything having to
do with git tags. (This sometimes confuses people who are/were familiar
with, for
example, Melpa Stable.)

Hope that helps,
~Chad

* Re: Elpa question: helping with maintainance of a package in Elpa
@ 2024-02-06 17:24     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-02-06 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: Arthur Miller, emacs-devel, Phillip Lord

chad <yandros@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 12:02 PM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> wrote:
>
>> > Do I understand the information in readme file from Elpa repository
>> correctly: I
>> > don't have to do anything special more than just update Phillips repo
>> for the
>> > package on GH, since the Cron job uses that URL to update the package
>> > automatically if the version is changed? Or do I need to do something
>> more to
>> > get the new version into Elpa too?
>>
>> The cron job will synchronise the mirror with the changes made on the GH
>> repository.  Just note that to release a package, you'll have to bump
>> the version tag (any commit changing the line with the version number
>> should do).
>>

> Note (mostly for future search results): "version tag" in this context
> means "the line
> in the file that looks something like ";; Version: 0.4", rather than
> anything having to
> do with git tags. (This sometimes confuses people who are/were familiar
> with, for
> example, Melpa Stable.)

Right, my bad, I should have said "Version" header or "Version"
attribute in the package header.

@ 2024-02-07 13:16   ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2024-02-07 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel, Phillip Lord

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> I am helping Phillip to maintain his pabbrev package. He has given me write
>> access to his repository on GH, and I was able to update the package with few
>> patches It is currently just a "facelift" to skip compiler warnings when
>> installing.
>>
>> Do I understand the information in readme file from Elpa repository correctly: I
>> don't have to do anything special more than just update Phillips repo for the
>> package on GH, since the Cron job uses that URL to update the package
>> automatically if the version is changed? Or do I need to do something more to
>> get the new version into Elpa too?
>
> The cron job will synchronise the mirror with the changes made on the GH
> repository.  Just note that to release a package, you'll have to bump
> the version tag (any commit changing the line with the version number
> should do).
>
>> Since this is just a minor release; not new features, no changes in usability it
>> does not have to have "announcement" on this list, or do you always announce?
>
> No, package updates are usually never announced on emacs-devel.

Thank you very much; this was exactly the info I needed!

I saw it auto-updated last night. Not that I meant to do it; should have
reversed version :-), but it is ok.

From: Arthur Miller @ 2024-02-07 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, emacs-devel, Phillip Lord

chad <yandros@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 12:02 PM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
>
>  > Do I understand the information in readme file from Elpa repository correctly: I
>  > don't have to do anything special more than just update Phillips repo for the
>  > package on GH, since the Cron job uses that URL to update the package
>  > automatically if the version is changed? Or do I need to do something more to
>  > get the new version into Elpa too?
>
>  The cron job will synchronise the mirror with the changes made on the GH
>  repository.  Just note that to release a package, you'll have to bump
>  the version tag (any commit changing the line with the version number
>  should do).
>
> Note (mostly for future search results): "version tag" in this context means "the line
> in the file that looks something like ";; Version: 0.4", rather than anything having to
> do with git tags. (This sometimes confuses people who are/were familiar with, for
> example, Melpa Stable.)
>
> Hope that helps,
> ~Chad
Yeah; I got that, but thanks anyway!