* garbage prevents copy from *grep* buffer
@ 2004-10-22 16:05 Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2004-10-22 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bob

Wednesday's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Oct 20 13:30 UTC
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.19 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.10)
started with

    /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q

When I run `M-x grep' to discover a URL in an HTML file, I see this:

  rattlesnake-home-page.html:140:<li> <a href="http://www.^[[01;41mgoldenhill^[[00mfarm.com">

rather than:

  rattlesnake-home-page.html:140:<li> <a href="http://www.goldenhillfarm.com">

I cannot copy and paste

    http://www.^[[01;41mgoldenhill^[[00mfarm.com

to either Emacs W3 mode or Mozilla to fetch the specified page.

Incidentally, the file name can be copied without error even though it
is highlighted also.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8

* garbage prevents copy from *grep* buffer
@ 2004-10-22 22:15 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2004-10-22 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

 > When I run `M-x grep' to discover a URL in an HTML file, I see this:
 >
 >   rattlesnake-home-page.html:140:<li> <a href="http://www.^[[01;41mgoldenhill^[[00mfarm.com">
 >
 > rather than:
 >
 >   rattlesnake-home-page.html:140:<li> <a href="http://www.goldenhillfarm.com">
 >
 > I cannot copy and paste
 >
 >     http://www.^[[01;41mgoldenhill^[[00mfarm.com
 >
 > to either Emacs W3 mode or Mozilla to fetch the specified page.

Similar anomalies occur when you cut and paste titles or nodes in info (this
doesn't happen in 21.2). Perhaps this isn't a very common task but I should
think that, as a general rule, when you cut and paste you get what you see.

Nick

* Re: garbage prevents copy from *grep* buffer
@ 2004-10-22 23:45   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2004-10-22 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bob, emacs-devel

>  > When I run `M-x grep' to discover a URL in an HTML file, I see this:
>  >
>  >   rattlesnake-home-page.html:140:<li> <a href="http://www.goldenhillfarm.com">
>  >
>  > rather than:
>  >
>  >   rattlesnake-home-page.html:140:<li> <a href="http://www.goldenhillfarm.com">
>  >
>  > I cannot copy and paste
>  >
>  >     http://www.goldenhillfarm.com
>  >
>  > to either Emacs W3 mode or Mozilla to fetch the specified page.
>
> Similar anomalies occur when you cut and paste titles or nodes in info (this
> doesn't happen in 21.2). Perhaps this isn't a very common task but I should
> think that, as a general rule, when you cut and paste you get what you see.

Implementing a new option `kill-as-displayed' might help to make
the behavior of killing/yanking of invisible text more natural.
However, there are other problems with invisible grep markers like
isearch failing to find a string with invisible markers inside.

Since no one likes invisible grep markers, they should be deleted
from the grep buffer even at the cost of losing the ability to restore
their highlighting after saving and reloading the grep buffer, or even
after modifying the lines with grep matches.

[There were a few problems with deleting grep markers with font-lock
machinery.  I will take care of that.]

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: garbage prevents copy from *grep* buffer
@ 2004-10-23 18:49     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-10-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bob, nickrob, emacs-devel

    Since no one likes invisible grep markers, they should be deleted
    from the grep buffer even at the cost of losing the ability to restore
    their highlighting after saving and reloading the grep buffer, or even
    after modifying the lines with grep matches.

I agree.  Would you like to do this?

By the way, if you want to "restore their highlighting...after
modifying the lines", the undo command should do it.

* Re: garbage prevents copy from *grep* buffer
@ 2004-10-31  9:42     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-10-31  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bob, nickrob, emacs-devel

    Since no one likes invisible grep markers, they should be deleted
    from the grep buffer even at the cost of losing the ability to restore
    their highlighting after saving and reloading the grep buffer, or even
    after modifying the lines with grep matches.

I agree.  Would someone please offer to implement this?
Please write to me if you will do it.

* Re: garbage prevents copy from *grep* buffer
@ 2004-10-31 12:09       ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2004-10-31 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bob, nickrob, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>     Since no one likes invisible grep markers, they should be deleted
>     from the grep buffer even at the cost of losing the ability to restore
>     their highlighting after saving and reloading the grep buffer, or even
>     after modifying the lines with grep matches.
>
> I agree.  Would someone please offer to implement this?
> Please write to me if you will do it.

I've already installed the change to delete grep markers instead of
making them invisible.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: garbage prevents copy from *grep* buffer
@ 2004-11-02  8:53         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-11-02  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bob, nickrob, emacs-devel

    I've already installed the change to delete grep markers instead of
    making them invisible.

Thank you.