* Emacs 24.1 release candidate
@ 2012-06-01 10:39 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-06-01 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The Emacs 24.1 release candidate is now available for download via FTP,
at the following location:

 http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-24.1-rc.tar.gz

Note that this tarball installs as Emacs 24.1.  If there are no serious
last-minute problems with this release candidate, it will serve as the
actual 24.1 tarball, in about a week.  (If serious problems are found,
we can still change it.)  So please give this release candidate as much
testing as possible.

Please send me an email reporting success or failure on your build
platform.  Please report any bugs that you come across via M-x
report-emacs-bugs, or email bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.

For Emacs developers: for now, please refrain from altering the emacs-24
branch without discussing with me or Stefan.  This tarball is made from
revision 108027 on the branch.  The emacs-24.1 tag will be applied when
the actual release happens.  After the release, the emacs-24 branch will
be left alone, with development for 24.2 occurring on the trunk, until
just before the 24.2 release.

Thanks for helping to test Emacs.

* Re: Emacs 24.1 release candidate
@ 2012-06-05 14:12 ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2012-06-05 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * Chong Yidong <plq@tah.bet> [2012-06-01 18:39:20 +0800]:
>
> For Emacs developers: for now, please refrain from altering the
> emacs-24 branch without discussing with me or Stefan.

does this mean that it's okay to commit to trunk?
how do I make sure that I am using the trunk (I have no reason to think
I am not, but just in case)

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) X 11.0.11103000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://thereligionofpeace.com http://memri.org

* Re: Emacs 24.1 release candidate
@ 2012-06-05 15:37   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-06-05 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sds; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 10:12:11 -0400
>
> > * Chong Yidong <plq@tah.bet> [2012-06-01 18:39:20 +0800]:
> >
> > For Emacs developers: for now, please refrain from altering the
> > emacs-24 branch without discussing with me or Stefan.
>
> does this mean that it's okay to commit to trunk?

People do that all the time, so I guess the answer is yes.

> how do I make sure that I am using the trunk

"bzr info" should show you that information.  For me it says

  Repository checkout (format: 2a)
  Location:
    repository checkout root: .
	  checkout of branch: bzr+ssh://eliz@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/
	   shared repository: D:/gnu/bzr/emacs

  Related branches:
    public branch: bzr+ssh://eliz@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk
    parent branch: bzr+ssh://eliz@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/

in the trunk and

	  checkout of branch: bzr+ssh://eliz@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-24/
	   shared repository: D:/gnu/bzr/emacs

  Related branches:
    parent branch: bzr+ssh://eliz@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-24/

in the emacs-24 branch.

* Re: Emacs 24.1 release candidate
       [not found] <CMM.0.95.0.1339118277.beebe@psi.math.utah.edu>
@ 2012-06-08  6:20 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-06-08  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelson H. F. Beebe; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe@math.utah.edu> writes:

> I now have emacs-24.1-rc.tar.gz built and installed on about 25
> flavors of Unix in my test lab.
>
> There are failures on only two: SGI IRIX MIPS (last emacs version to
> build = 21.3.50), and NetBSD 5.1 x86.
>
> The former isn't a problem, because it is quite old.  The latter
> continues to give me trouble. The last version to build there was
> 24.0.96.  I'll continue to try to find a solution.

Could you give more details about the problem with the NetBSD build?

Here's one guess.  About a month ago, Glenn Morris made a change to
configure.in to fix a conjectured problem with using terminfo on netbsd:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-04/msg00906.html

This change was included in pretest 24.0.97.  That may be why the build
stopped working for you after 24.0.96.  Can you revert the change
described in the above link, and see if that fixes the build?  If so, we
can revert the change for the 24.1 release.

* Re: Emacs 24.1 release candidate
@ 2012-06-08  6:40   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-06-08  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelson H. F. Beebe; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> There are failures on only two: SGI IRIX MIPS (last emacs version to
>> build = 21.3.50)

AFAIK, you've never replied to requests for more information on this.
I have suggested adding -DINET6, and asked to see netinet/in.h:

http://debbugs.gnu.org/7643#24

> described in the above link, and see if that fixes the build? If so,
> we can revert the change for the 24.1 release.

Reverting it really doesn't make any sense, because it refers to a
non-existent variable. You might just as well always use libtermcap on
NetBSD. But then the behaviour won't match Emacs 23, which used terminfo
if it was found. See

http://debbugs.gnu.org/6190

Perhaps you have a broken terminfo installation?

Since we never get to see configure logs, or build logs, it is
impossible to say.

* Re: Emacs 24.1 release candidate
@ 2012-06-08 16:45     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-06-08 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelson H. F. Beebe; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> AFAIK, you've never replied to requests for more information on this.
> I have suggested adding -DINET6, and asked to see netinet/in.h:
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/7643#24
>
> Perhaps you have a broken terminfo installation?
>
> Since we never get to see configure logs, or build logs, it is
> impossible to say.

Hi Nelson,

Could you get back to us about the NetBSD build as soon as possible?

In the meantime, does anyone have a NetBSD 5.1 x86 installation to test
building the release candidate?

* Re: Emacs 24.1 release candidate
@ 2012-06-08 19:22       ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2012-06-08 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Nelson H. F. Beebe, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org> writes:

> In the meantime, does anyone have a NetBSD 5.1 x86 installation to test
> building the release candidate?

FWIW it builds and runs successfully for me on NetBSD 5.1.2 x86-64.
It correctly finds and uses the termcap library:

% uname -srp
NetBSD 5.1.2 x86_64
% ldd ./src/emacs
./src/emacs:
        -lossaudio.0 => /usr/lib/libossaudio.so.0
        -lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12
        -ltermcap.0 => /usr/lib/libtermcap.so.0
        -lpthread.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0
        -lm.0 => /usr/lib/libm.so.0
% ./src/emacs --version | head -1
GNU Emacs 24.1.1
%

* Re: Emacs 24.1 release candidate
@ 2012-06-09 13:33         ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-06-09 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Francoise; +Cc: Nelson H. F. Beebe, emacs-devel

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> In the meantime, does anyone have a NetBSD 5.1 x86 installation to test
>> building the release candidate?
>
> FWIW it builds and runs successfully for me on NetBSD 5.1.2 x86-64.

Thanks.

I also received successful build reports from Makoto Fujiwara on NetBSD
6.0_BETA and from Kazuhiro Ito on NetBSD 5.1.2/amd64.  (Kazuhiro Ito
noted that 'make -j 2' with NetBSD's built-in make fails, but that is a
separate issue.)

It appears that the problem is specific to the way some image libraries
are installed on Nelson's NetBSD box.