* Help ERC find André Riemann
@ 2023-05-30 14:35 F. Jason Park
From: F. Jason Park @ 2023-05-30 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Emacs,

On the advice of the FSF, ERC is trying to get a hold of one André
Riemann to inquire about a possible copyright assignment. A package we'd
like to incorporate was originally forked from something they authored a
decade and a half ago [1]. Unfortunately, we've had no luck in reaching
out at the email address andre.riemann@web.de. If you happen to know
André or have any leads as to their online whereabouts, please get in
touch.

Thanks,
J.P.

P.S. Accommodations can probably be made WRT pseudonyms, anonymity, and
the like, if that's a concern.

[1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/erc-highlight-nicknames.el

* Re: Help ERC find André Riemann
@ 2023-05-30 17:01 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2023-05-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jp; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

FWIW, the code of erc-highlight-nicknames.el looks pretty simple.  It
also looks similar to the code in Ement.el that highlights nicknames in
computed colors: see [0], as well as searching that file for other
mentions of "prism" for places where the code hooks in.

If any of that code would be helpful in reimplementing ERC nickname
highlighting to solve lack of CA, you're welcome to copy any or all of
that code and modify it as needed.  It's already in GNU ELPA, so CA is
done.  :)

Adam

0: https://github.com/alphapapa/ement.el/blob/master/ement-room.el

* Re: Help ERC find André Riemann
@ 2023-05-31  1:51   ` F. Jason Park
From: F. Jason Park @ 2023-05-31  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Adam,

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> If any of that code would be helpful in reimplementing ERC nickname
> highlighting to solve lack of CA, you're welcome to copy any or all of that
> code and modify it as needed.  It's already in GNU ELPA, so CA is done.  :)

Thanks, that's very kind. We've had a clean rewrite in the works for
some time [1], which could surely benefit from imitating your code as an
exemplar, so I'll definitely have a look.

The main issue here, I think, is that other folks who've contributed to
derivative packages [2] have expressed interest in seeing their efforts
included in whatever becomes of this initiative, and some already have
paperwork pending or in hand. And even though very little, if any, of
André's code remains in such packages, the FSF's counsel was still to
pursue assignment from André.

Anyway, to simplify matters, I was hoping to just include those most
eligible as coauthors on the rewrite, at least in the library's ";;
Author:" header, which allows for recognizing multiple individuals, and
maybe also via GitHub's "Co-authored by" cookies in the commit message.
But, in the spirit of inclusiveness, if folks really want to see their
original code in the VC history, I suppose we ought to at least consider
accommodating them.

J.P.

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63569

[2] including the author of one popular derivation we were originally
    hoping to subsume:

    https://github.com/leathekd/erc-hl-nicks/issues/15

* Re: Help ERC find André Riemann
@ 2023-06-02 21:37     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2023-06-02 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: F. Jason Park; +Cc: adam, emacs-devel

  > And even though very little, if any, of
  > André's code remains in such packages, the FSF's counsel was still to
  > pursue assignment from André.

If that is impossible, would you please write to me privsately about it?

* Re: Help ERC find Andre Riemann
@ 2023-06-03 14:13       ` F. Jason Park
From: F. Jason Park @ 2023-06-03 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: adam, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > And even though very little, if any, of
>   > André's code remains in such packages, the FSF's counsel was still to
>   > pursue assignment from André.
>
> If that is impossible, would you please write to me privsately about it?

OK, sure thing, thanks.