From: Christian <cnngimenez@disroot.org>
To: Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com>
Cc: Christian <cnngimenez@disroot.org>, rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: SachaC-news
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:40:35 -0300	[thread overview]

Hi Sacha and all!

I know that EmacsConf is so near, and you are working a lot for
it... sorry for bringing more work to you!

On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:07:19 -0300,
Sacha Chua wrote:

> Christian <cnngimenez@disroot.org> writes:
>
> Hello, Christian, all!
>
> Christian: Neat idea, thanks for making it! =)

Well, I read Emacs News frequently, and used many things from
your posts... Thanks for making it! :)

> >> What other formats does this repository store postings in?  If it has
> >> -- or can generate -- plain text, that should be preferred.
> >> There are users who like Org fornat, but it is not Emacs's preferred
> >> way of showing information.
> > Sacha Chua creates her blog posts using this file written in
> > Org-mode. This mode is installed by default on Emacs 29 [1] and
> > can export to other formats: LaTeX, HTML, plain text, TeXInfo
> > and info (by installing ox-texinfo), etc.
>
> I could take another couple of minutes during the export process and
> export them as text and HTML as well. Here are both in my fork of your
> Sourcehut: https://git.sr.ht/~sachac/sachac-emacs-news . The Org version
> seems easier to parse, though.

I added a new customization variable
"sachac-news-use-git-file" [1] to select which file to
open. For example, if you want plain text, you can change its
value to "most-recent.txt". By default, it uses
"most-recent.org".

> > Mmm... I suppose... I can add a customization to show an
> > exported buffer instead the Org-mode buffer. For example, if
> > sachac-news-show-plain-text is set to t, it  will do the
> > overall process, but add an extra step to export the Org file
> > into plain text... or even generalize this idea to use any
> > export dispatch function... I believe it can be
> > implemented... what do you think?
>
> Yeah, it's probably better to do it on-the-fly, so people can get
> different versions of whatever they like. Making the backend selectable
> sounds like a possibly useful thing, in case maybe someone wants to use
> one of the Emacs News categories as a starting point for, say, their
> Markdown-based blog post...

Done! if you set "sachac-news-after-download-function" [2] to,
for example, org-md-export-to-markdown, it will generate a
markdown file and display it.

It was a little tricky to implement, it uses the file specified
on "sachac-news-use-git-file" as the base to export. Maybe,
someone want to use another tool or elisp function...

> > Recently, I have just added a customization variable to set the
> > URL to Sacha's Emacs News repository (see [3]). By default, its
> > value is [4] which is a clone of the original. This repository
> > will be automatically updated once a day, if there is a new
> > blog post. However, you can change it to any other repository
> > URL with an index.org file if you like.
>
> Sure, we could use your repo (or my fork of your repo) if you like. Or
> if you add me as a collaborator on your repo, I can add it to the list
> of repos to push to... <laugh>

Good idea! I have just added your account to my fork, so you
can collaborate too, and then pull or push to... XD XD

Well, I changed the default URL to yours:
      https://git.sr.ht/~sachac/sachac-emacs-news
I think is better that way. Just in case, I really added you as
collaborator with Read+Write access to both repos.

> [...]
> > request a new repository there. But it will require some time
> > to be approved.
>
> I wasn't sure if Emacs News is eligible for Savannah hosting, since I
> link to lots of YouTube videos and the occasional commercial workshop
> being advertised by people. (Goodness knows emacs-devel has seen lots of
> discussions about MELPA, even...) Happy to set up another repo there if
> people feel it's all right. Decentralized source control for the win!
>
> > Sacha Chua maintains her emacs-news blog posts [6], and creates them
> > by using the index.org file in that archive (or so it seems as far as
> > I can understand the code in it, I have not asked her yet!).
>
> Yup, that's pretty much it.
>
> >> Org format is NOT the Emacs standard or preferred format, and not
> >> everyone uses it.  Therefore, if we add a command to display some
> >> useful information, it should not use Org format.
> >> The best format to use is plain text.
> > Maybe, the name "Org" is not correct? I mean Org-mode [7] (I call it
> > "Org" casually, sorry for that)... I thought it is considered as a
> > plain text format. I love it and use it for... well... almost
> > everything. If I am wrong in any way, please tell me.
>
> I use Org because that makes it easy to export to different formats with
> hyperlinks. I like the conciseness of working with the titles for the
> most part while easily being able to access the URLs as needed. I also
> like having custom package links that open up package descriptions on my
> computer and export to regular HTML or ASCII links when I'm publishing.
> It's easy to rearrange bulleted lists, too. If people open the Org
> files, they can mostly follow the hyperlinks without loading any custom
> configuration. I'm going to keep Org as my source data format instead
> of using something like Hyperbole and/or Markdown.
>
> If we want the source data available in different formats, I can add
> that to my publishing process and keep that in the repo. It takes me a
> few minutes to export the whole file, so it's not a big deal.
>
> I'm guessing when people want to see the data, they'll usually want to
> see hyperlinked titles instead of titles + URLs (as in the ASCII export)
> while still being able to access the URLs if needed. I think taking
> advantage of Org's existing functionality makes sense here. Of course,
> the package can display things in different formats for people who
> prefer those.
>
> For people's convenience, I post HTML/Org/TXT to the emacs-tangents
> mailing list, so the information is available there in multiple formats.
>
> Fetching the index.org without git could work if you grab the whole file
> using the raw URL, like
> https://git.sr.ht/~sachac/sachac-emacs-news/blob/master/index.org ? It's
> 3.8MB (sorry server operators). I keep everything in one file to make it
> easier to check for duplicates.
>
> Would it help if I wrote the last post as a separate file, as in

I see in the repo that you have already done it! Awesome!
Thanks a lot! Now sachac-news uses most-recent.org by default!

> Sacha

[1] The sachac-news-use-git-file variable is defined here:
https://git.sr.ht/~cngimenez/sachac-news/tree/ba3ba95ba8fe74df000161e0933ac89cad583cf3/item/sachac-news.el#L120

[2] The sachac-news-after-download-function is defined here:
https://git.sr.ht/~cngimenez/sachac-news/tree/ba3ba95ba8fe74df000161e0933ac89cad583cf3/item/sachac-news.el#L133

--

- Mastodon: @cnngimenez@mastodon.social

 ,= ,-_-. =.  Utilice GPG:
((_/)o o(\_)) * https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/
 `-'(. .)`-'  * Usando la terminal GNU/Linux:
     \_/        $ gpg2 --search-keys 77A56F0DA5DD9E05