* [juri@jurta.org: cursor-in-echo-area ignores the default cursor type]
@ 2005-12-28 17:01 Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-28 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could someone please look at this?

From: Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>
To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:18:57 +0200
Subject: cursor-in-echo-area ignores the default cursor type
Sender: emacs-pretest-bug-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

After setting the default cursor type to something other than the default
block cursor:

  (setq default-cursor-type 'bar)

and using a function that internally sets the variable `cursor-in-echo-area'
to non-nil, e.g.:

  (y-or-n-p "prompt: ")

or

  `C-h k'

the specified cursor type is ignored and the minibuffer in all these cases
displays the block cursor.

This is not a critical bug, but it would be nice to fix this if possible.

Also the prompt of key-reading commands (like `C-h k') is not highlighted
using the `minibuffer-prompt' face.  This could be fixed as well.

- --
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* [juri@jurta.org: cursor-in-echo-area ignores the default cursor type]
@ 2006-01-11 23:14 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-01-11 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

[I sent this message two weeks ago but did not get a response.]

Could someone please look at this?

From: Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>
To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:18:57 +0200
Sender: emacs-pretest-bug-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

* Re: [juri@jurta.org: cursor-in-echo-area ignores the default cursor type]
@ 2006-01-13 22:25 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-01-13 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> After setting the default cursor type to something other than the default
> block cursor:
>
>   (setq default-cursor-type 'bar)
>
> and using a function that internally sets the variable `cursor-in-echo-area'
> to non-nil, e.g.:
>
>   (y-or-n-p "prompt: ")
>
> the specified cursor type is ignored and the minibuffer in all these cases
> displays the block cursor.

How about this fix?

*** emacs/src/xdisp.c.~1.1069.~	2005-12-12 14:31:22.000000000 -0500
--- emacs/src/xdisp.c	2006-01-13 17:14:42.000000000 -0500
***************
*** 20772,20779 ****
      {
        if (w == XWINDOW (echo_area_window))
  	{
! 	  *width = FRAME_CURSOR_WIDTH (f);
! 	  return FRAME_DESIRED_CURSOR (f);
  	}

        *active_cursor = 0;
--- 20772,20784 ----
      {
        if (w == XWINDOW (echo_area_window))
  	{
! 	  if (EQ (b->cursor_type, Qt) || NILP (b->cursor_type))
! 	    {
! 	      *width = FRAME_CURSOR_WIDTH (f);
! 	      return FRAME_DESIRED_CURSOR (f);
! 	    }
! 	  else
! 	    return get_specified_cursor_type (b->cursor_type, width);
  	}

        *active_cursor = 0;

* Re: [juri@jurta.org: cursor-in-echo-area ignores the default cursor type]
@ 2006-01-14 16:14   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2006-01-14 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: juri, emacs-devel

If that works right, please install it.

* Re: [juri@jurta.org: cursor-in-echo-area ignores the default cursor type]
@ 2006-01-17  1:29   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2006-01-17  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

>> After setting the default cursor type to something other than the default
>> block cursor:
>>
>>   (setq default-cursor-type 'bar)
>>
>> and using a function that internally sets the variable `cursor-in-echo-area'
>> to non-nil, e.g.:
>>
>>   (y-or-n-p "prompt: ")
>>
>> the specified cursor type is ignored and the minibuffer in all these cases
>> displays the block cursor.
>
> How about this fix?

That works right.  Thanks.

--

@ 2006-01-22  0:57   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2006-01-22  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

>> After setting the default cursor type to something other than the default
>> block cursor:
>>
>>   (setq default-cursor-type 'bar)
>>
>> and using a function that internally sets the variable `cursor-in-echo-area'
>> to non-nil, e.g.:
>>
>>   (y-or-n-p "prompt: ")
>>
>> the specified cursor type is ignored and the minibuffer in all these cases
>> displays the block cursor.
>
> How about this fix?

Actually a slightly different fix was installed, and it doesn't work
correctly.  Splitting a window in two and calling a key reading function
displays the default cursor in all windows, even in non-selected ones.

To reproduce this bug, you could type `C-x 2 C-h k' and see how the cursor
in the non-selected window changes from hollow to box.

--

@ 2006-01-22 10:21     ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-01-22 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

> Actually a slightly different fix was installed, and it doesn't work
> correctly.  Splitting a window in two and calling a key reading function
> displays the default cursor in all windows, even in non-selected ones.

I installed a change yesterday that should fix this (I hadn't noticed
this thread).

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the