* Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-14 17:45 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-10-14 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Jim Meyering

Hi,

I think it is probably time to replace the Savannah Emacs git
repository with just a pointer to repo.or.cz, as originally suggested
in January:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-01/msg00590.html

Having it still advertized on http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs/
via the "Source Code" link just confuses people, eg

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7163#35

Thanks.

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-14 18:04 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-10-14 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Jim Meyering, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
> I think it is probably time to replace the Savannah Emacs git
> repository with just a pointer to repo.or.cz, as originally suggested
> in January:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-01/msg00590.html
>
> Having it still advertized on http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs/
> via the "Source Code" link just confuses people, eg
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7163#35

Of course even better would be to _replace_ the savannah repo with the
one from repo.or.cz (it could simply be a clone, given that it's pretty
much trivial to do so ...).

Not just for yucks -- savannah now supports the git smart-http protocol,
whereas repo.or.cz doesn't, and that can make a huge difference for
those behind firewalls.

-Miles

--
Clarionet, n. An instrument of torture operated by a person with cotton in his
ears. There are two instruments that are worse than a clarionet -- two

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-14 18:12 ` Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2010-10-14 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:
> I think it is probably time to replace the Savannah Emacs git
> repository with just a pointer to repo.or.cz, as originally suggested
> in January:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-01/msg00590.html
>
> Having it still advertized on http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs/
> via the "Source Code" link just confuses people, eg
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7163#35

Good idea, Glenn.
I suggest that one of the Emacs admins login to savannah
and visit this page:

    https://savannah.gnu.org/project/admin/editgroupfeatures.php?group=emacs

and adjust the "Git" and "Git Web Browsing" URLs.

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-14 18:13   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-10-14 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Jim Meyering, emacs-devel

Miles Bader wrote:

> Of course even better would be to _replace_ the savannah repo with the
> one from repo.or.cz

Whichever can be done.

> Not just for yucks -- savannah now supports the git smart-http protocol,
> whereas repo.or.cz doesn't, and that can make a huge difference for
> those behind firewalls.

Yes, it was nice for Savannah Git users that they got an enhanced
transport method within three days of it being requested.

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-14 18:22     ` Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2010-10-14 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Miles Bader wrote:
>
>> Of course even better would be to _replace_ the savannah repo with the
>> one from repo.or.cz
>
> Whichever can be done.

I can remove the existing emacs.git repo and replace it with an empty one.
Then, whoever is pushing changes to repo.or.cz can push to sv.gnu.org, too.
Let me know.

@ 2010-10-14 18:44   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-10-14 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Of course even better would be to _replace_ the savannah repo with the
> one from repo.or.cz (it could simply be a clone, given that it's pretty
> much trivial to do so ...).

It would be great if the Savannah repo, on addition, supported automatic
updates. The mirror on repo.or.cz is updated manually.

[snip]

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-15  0:28     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-10-15  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>> Of course even better would be to _replace_ the savannah repo with the
>> one from repo.or.cz (it could simply be a clone, given that it's pretty
>> much trivial to do so ...).
>
> It would be great if the Savannah repo, on addition, supported automatic
> updates. The mirror on repo.or.cz is updated manually.

Sure, tho I don't know how easy that is.

[Hopefully in the future, of course, git will acquire a bzr-repo
backend, and so be able to use the main repo directly.]

-Miles

--
Friendship, n. A ship big enough to carry two in fair weather, but only one
in foul.

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-15 17:23       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-10-15 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Meyering; +Cc: Miles Bader, emacs-devel

Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:

> I can remove the existing emacs.git repo and replace it with an empty one.

It's enough if it's made group writable.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-15 18:01         ` Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2010-10-15 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:
>
>> I can remove the existing emacs.git repo and replace it with an empty one.
>
> It's enough if it's made group writable.

Now the "emacs" group has write access to all directories,
but if you're the only one who should be updating it,
it'd be a little safer to make you the owner and remove
group-write permission.

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-15 19:14         ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-10-15 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

Andreas,

Is it possible to setup a cron job for updating the git mirror on a
regular basis? I guess you don't have enough privileges on repo.or.cz,
but that will improve on Savannah.

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-15 19:30           ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-10-15 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Is it possible to setup a cron job for updating the git mirror on a
> regular basis? I guess you don't have enough privileges on repo.or.cz,
> but that will improve on Savannah.

I don't have administrator access to savannah.

Andreas.

--

@ 2010-10-15 20:11           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-10-15 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Meyering; +Cc: Miles Bader, Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

>>> I can remove the existing emacs.git repo and replace it with an empty one.
>> It's enough if it's made group writable.
> Now the "emacs" group has write access to all directories,
> but if you're the only one who should be updating it,
> it'd be a little safer to make you the owner and remove
> group-write permission.

I don't think it's worth the trouble.
That will just be an annoyance down the line.

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-16 12:55             ` Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2010-10-16 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, Miles Bader, emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to setup a cron job for updating the git mirror on a
>> regular basis? I guess you don't have enough privileges on repo.or.cz,
>> but that will improve on Savannah.
>
> I don't have administrator access to savannah.

If you have a script to mirror /srv/bzr/emacs
to /srv/git/emacs, I can put it in a cron job.

Here are the current tool versions:

    $ git --version                                                :
    git version 1.7.1
    $ bzr --version                                                :
    Bazaar (bzr) 2.0.3
      Python interpreter: /usr/bin/python 2.5.2
      Python standard library: /usr/lib/python2.5

If a newer version of bzr would help, we should
be able to arrange that.

* Re: Please do something about the Savannah Emacs git repository
@ 2010-10-16 13:13               ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-10-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Meyering; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, Miles Bader, emacs-devel

You will need bzr-fastimport from
lp:~schwab-linux-m68k/bzr-fastimport/master

Andreas.

--

@ 2010-10-17  7:02                 ` Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2010-10-17  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, Miles Bader, emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> You will need bzr-fastimport from
> lp:~schwab-linux-m68k/bzr-fastimport/master

No problem.