* [ELPA] New package: paced
@ 2017-12-03 20:46 Ian Dunn
From: Ian Dunn @ 2017-12-03 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'd like to submit paced[1] to ELPA.

Paced (Predictive Abbreviation Completion and Expansion using Dictionaries)
scans a group of files (determined by "population commands") to construct a
usage table (dictionary).  Words (or symbols) are sorted by their usage, and may
be later presented to the user for completion.  A dictionary can then be saved
to a file, to be loaded later.

Population commands determine how a dictionary should be filled with words or
symbols.  A dictionary may have multiple population commands, and population may
be performed asynchronously.  Once population is finished, the contents are
sorted, with more commonly used words at the front.  Dictionaries may be edited
through EIEIO's customize-object interface.

Completion is done through `completion-at-point'.  The dictionary to use for
completion can be customized.

The code is on Bazaar on Savannah:

bzr branch https://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/paced-el/ paced

[1] http://nongnu.org/paced-el

--
Ian Dunn

* Re: [ELPA] New package: paced
@ 2017-12-03 21:05 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2017-12-03 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Dunn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Interesting. In your comparison to pabbrev.el, instead of "you’ve got to
retrain pabbrev every time you restart Emacs", I would say, "it retrains
itself automatically", though. And as an advantage over both paced and
predictive, it requires no set up at all to use. You just turn it on.

Phil

On Sun, December 3, 2017 8:46 pm, Ian Dunn wrote:

> I'd like to submit paced[1] to ELPA.
>

> Paced (Predictive Abbreviation Completion and Expansion using
> Dictionaries)
> scans a group of files (determined by "population commands") to construct
> a usage table (dictionary).  Words (or symbols) are sorted by their usage,
> and may be later presented to the user for completion.  A dictionary can
> then be saved to a file, to be loaded later.
>
> Population commands determine how a dictionary should be filled with
> words or symbols.  A dictionary may have multiple population commands, and
> population may be performed asynchronously.  Once population is finished,
> the contents are sorted, with more commonly used words at the front.
> Dictionaries may be edited
> through EIEIO's customize-object interface.
>
> Completion is done through `completion-at-point'.  The dictionary to use
> for completion can be customized.
>
> The code is on Bazaar on Savannah:
>

> bzr branch https://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/paced-el/ paced
>
> [1] http://nongnu.org/paced-el
>

> --
> Ian Dunn

* Re: [ELPA] New package: paced
@ 2017-12-04 14:46 ` Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2017-12-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Dunn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Ian:

Please also consider adding a backend for the company.el package which uses
a dynamic popup of completions with a number of useful features.

Bob

* Re: [ELPA] New package: paced
@ 2017-12-04 15:17   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-12-04 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Please also consider adding a backend for the company.el package which uses
> a dynamic popup of completions with a number of useful features.

Since paced provides a completion-at-point-function, it should already
work with company (since company use completion-at-point-functions when
available).

* Re: [ELPA] New package: paced
@ 2017-12-04 15:46     ` Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2017-12-04 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

> > Please also consider adding a backend for the company.el package which
> uses
> > a dynamic popup of completions with a number of useful features.
>
> Since paced provides a completion-at-point-function, it should already
> work with company (since company use completion-at-point-functions when
> available).

​Thanks, Stefan.

Bob
​

* Re: [ELPA] New package: paced
@ 2017-12-08 14:39   ` Ian Dunn
From: Ian Dunn @ 2017-12-08 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Phil> Interesting. In your comparison to pabbrev.el, instead of "you’ve got
    Phil> to retrain pabbrev every time you restart Emacs", I would say, "it
    Phil> retrains itself automatically", though. And as an advantage over both
    Phil> paced and predictive, it requires no set up at all to use. You just
    Phil> turn it on.

    Phil> Phil

I clarified the issues with pabbrev, mainly, the task of having to open
each file from which you want to train it.  For me, that's about 100
files with my prose in it.  But I also mentioned its easy setup and that
retraining is automatic.

--
Ian Dunn

* Re: [ELPA] New package: paced
@ 2017-12-09 11:27     ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2017-12-09 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Dunn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ian Dunn <dunni@gnu.org> writes:

>     Phil> Interesting. In your comparison to pabbrev.el, instead of "you’ve got
>     Phil> to retrain pabbrev every time you restart Emacs", I would say, "it
>     Phil> retrains itself automatically", though. And as an advantage over both
>     Phil> paced and predictive, it requires no set up at all to use. You just
>     Phil> turn it on.
>
>     Phil> Phil
>
> I clarified the issues with pabbrev, mainly, the task of having to open
> each file from which you want to train it.  For me, that's about 100
> files with my prose in it.  But I also mentioned its easy setup and that
> retraining is automatic.

Thanks for this! Personally, it doesn't bother me; I don't "train"
it. It just gets more correct over time. And not being persistent means
that I don't really need an editor to remove incorrect expansions.

Still, if it's a problem for you, it's fair that you mention them. I
would deal with the issue by using desktop.el (which will persist your
sessions). pabbrev.el then does it's thing in the background.

Phil