* Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-04-30 23:07 Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-30 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi, I made a new icon for emacs to replace the current one into a bit
more "modern" according to current icons from other editors such as
neovim, zed, vscode and codium, etc.

This new icon uses a new E letter based on the one made by Nicolas
Petton with a style more minimalist and geometric (like a folded strip
of paper).

Below this you can get the attached icon. I would like to see their
feedback if this is a good idea and if I should send a patch to
implement this.
Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: EmacsIcon.svg --]
[-- Type: image/svg+xml, Size: 15017 bytes --]

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-01  1:02 ` Po Lu
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Po Lu @ 2024-05-01  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: emacs-devel

Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I made a new icon for emacs to replace the current one into a bit
> more "modern" according to current icons from other editors such as
> neovim, zed, vscode and codium, etc.
>
> This new icon uses a new E letter based on the one made by Nicolas
> Petton with a style more minimalist and geometric (like a folded strip
> of paper).
>
> Below this you can get the attached icon. I would like to see their
> feedback if this is a good idea and if I should send a patch to
> implement this.
> Thanks.

I'd rather retain the icon(s) that already exist, but as with all purely
aesthetic preferences, it's impossible to rationalize this opinion.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-01  7:03 ` Michael Albinus
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-05-01  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: emacs-devel

Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> writes:

> This new icon uses a new E letter based on the one made by Nicolas
> Petton with a style more minimalist and geometric (like a folded strip
> of paper).

Personally, I prefer the existing icon.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-01 12:16   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-05-01 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: eg642616, emacs-devel

> From: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 09:03:44 +0200
>
> Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > This new icon uses a new E letter based on the one made by Nicolas
> > Petton with a style more minimalist and geometric (like a folded strip
> > of paper).
>
> Personally, I prefer the existing icon.

Me too, FWIW.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-01 13:14   ` Visuwesh
From: Visuwesh @ 2024-05-01 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Elijah G, emacs-devel

[புதன் மே 01, 2024] Michael Albinus wrote:

> Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This new icon uses a new E letter based on the one made by Nicolas
>> Petton with a style more minimalist and geometric (like a folded strip
>> of paper).
>
> Personally, I prefer the existing icon.

Same here.  The smooth curves in the existing icon makes it look really
attractive.

* RE: [External] : Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-01 14:40     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2024-05-01 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Michael Albinus; +Cc: eg642616@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > > a style more minimalist and geometric (like a
> > > folded strip of paper).
> >
> > Personally, I prefer the existing icon.
>
> Me too, FWIW.

Me too, FWIW.
___

_If_ there were consideration of alternatives at
some point, I'd suggest what's used on emacs.SE,
which is just "(e)" (styling that any way, e.g.
font, we like).  That hints at the Lisp foundation
and surrounding environment that really makes Emacs
Emacs.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-01 14:53 ` aaaa
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: aaaa @ 2024-05-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 5/1/24 07:07, Elijah G wrote:
> Hi, I made a new icon for emacs to replace the current one into a bit
> more "modern" according to current icons from other editors such as
> neovim, zed, vscode and codium, etc.
>
> This new icon uses a new E letter based on the one made by Nicolas
> Petton with a style more minimalist and geometric (like a folded strip
> of paper).
>
> Below this you can get the attached icon. I would like to see their
> feedback if this is a good idea and if I should send a patch to
> implement this.
> Thanks.
Looks like Microsoft visual studio icon

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-05-01 15:58 ` Ulrich Mueller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2024-05-01 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Hi, I made a new icon for emacs to replace the current one into a bit
> more "modern" according to current icons from other editors such as
> neovim, zed, vscode and codium, etc.

> This new icon uses a new E letter based on the one made by Nicolas
> Petton with a style more minimalist and geometric (like a folded strip
> of paper).

> Below this you can get the attached icon. I would like to see their
> feedback if this is a good idea and if I should send a patch to
> implement this.

I vaguely remember that the icon was meant to represent both the letters
E and M, plus the horns of the GNU mascot?

The last aspect is much weaker in the new icon.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-05-01 18:14 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2024-05-01 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G, emacs-devel

On 01/05/2024 02:07, Elijah G wrote:
> Hi, I made a new icon for emacs to replace the current one into a bit
> more "modern" according to current icons from other editors such as
> neovim, zed, vscode and codium, etc.

Hmm, looks like it matches the style of VS Code and Neovim icons, but
not Zed or VSCodium.

Which is a good thing to have, even if we don't make it a default icon
for the editor (maybe after a number of revisions, although as we can
see the immediate reaction of the long-time contributors is skeptical).
Maybe we could have an alternative icon set, or some such.

Though to be honest I think the toolbar icon set that we have is a much
bigger problem than the application icon (which is already fairly
decent). I just tried Emacs on macOS last, and the contrast between the
toolbar and the (fairly modern-looking) frame is pretty jarring. At
least on GNU/Linux (e.g. with GTK3 build) we use a lot of the system
theme icons.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-01 20:26   ` aaaa
From: aaaa @ 2024-05-01 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 5/2/24 02:14, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 01/05/2024 02:07, Elijah G wrote:
>> Hi, I made a new icon for emacs to replace the current one into a bit
>> more "modern" according to current icons from other editors such as
>> neovim, zed, vscode and codium, etc.
>
> Hmm, looks like it matches the style of VS Code and Neovim icons, but
> not Zed or VSCodium.
>
> Which is a good thing to have, even if we don't make it a default icon
> for the editor (maybe after a number of revisions, although as we can
> see the immediate reaction of the long-time contributors is skeptical).
> Maybe we could have an alternative icon set, or some such.
>
> Though to be honest I think the toolbar icon set that we have is a much
> bigger problem than the application icon (which is already fairly
> decent). I just tried Emacs on macOS last, and the contrast between the
> toolbar and the (fairly modern-looking) frame is pretty jarring. At
> least on GNU/Linux (e.g. with GTK3 build) we use a lot of the system
> theme icons.

I agree that the toolbar icon set is a bigger issue than the application
icon, and it can be off-putting to new users. I would love to see Emacs
adopt a more modern, cohesive, and unified look that is on par with some
of the newer editors out there.

* Re: [External] : Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-01 23:21       ` Jose E. Marchesi
From: Jose E. Marchesi @ 2024-05-01 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Michael Albinus, eg642616@gmail.com,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org

> _If_ there were consideration of alternatives at
> some point, I'd suggest what's used on emacs.SE,
> which is just "(e)" (styling that any way, e.g.
> font, we like).  That hints at the Lisp foundation
> and surrounding environment that really makes Emacs
> Emacs.

Just bring back the kitchen sink.
That is what makes everything Emacs.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-01 23:21   ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-05-01 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

Thank you all for your comments, the reason I am asking for
this proposal is to coincide with the release of version 30.1
as the beginning of a great new era for emacs and its community
(in addition to keeping emacs "updated" in this decade).
Based on your comments I've made another 2 conceptual icons
but now keeping the E symbol, the first is slightly modified
(keeping the paperish style) and the second is intact.

I would like to see their suggestions.
Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: EmacsIcon_Without_Gradients.svg --]
[-- Type: image/svg+xml, Size: 25103 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: EmacsIcon_With_Gradients.svg --]
[-- Type: image/svg+xml, Size: 25100 bytes --]

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-01 23:55     ` Arsen Arsenović
From: Arsen Arsenović @ 2024-05-01 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: Michael Albinus, emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

Hi!

Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you all for your comments, the reason I am asking for
> this proposal is to coincide with the release of version 30.1
> as the beginning of a great new era for emacs and its community
> (in addition to keeping emacs "updated" in this decade).
> Based on your comments I've made another 2 conceptual icons
> but now keeping the E symbol, the first is slightly modified
> (keeping the paperish style) and the second is intact.
>
> I would like to see their suggestions.
> Thanks.
>
> [2. image/svg+xml; EmacsIcon_Without_Gradients.svg]...
>
> [3. image/svg+xml; EmacsIcon_With_Gradients.svg]...

Personally, I like the original version you posted (EmacsIcon.svg) - it
is in the style of today while still being not too big of a change
compared to the current icon.

I also like the EmacsIcon_Without_Gradients.svg version - I think the
colors are nicer than the current version.
--
Arsen Arsenović

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  0:52     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-05-02  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: Michael Albinus, emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you all for your comments, the reason I am asking for
> this proposal is to coincide with the release of version 30.1
> as the beginning of a great new era for emacs and its community
> (in addition to keeping emacs "updated" in this decade).

There are plenty of domains in our codebase beyond the icon with
potential for improvement, to which your time and energy would be far
better devoted.  One example is the absence of stipple support on
MS-Windows, which is, as I understand it, is currently preventing a
popular indentation highlighting package from functioning on that
platform (to which code for drawing dot and dash underlines would be a
natural accompaniment).  To use the magic word, yes, VS Code implements
"indent guides", for which it is the more important that we implement it
with dispatch, if we are to attract users from our mortal competitor, as
it is portrayed whenever it is invoked to justify a list of mostly
frivolous priorities.

Would you be willing to volunteer for this task?

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  1:52       ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-05-02  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Michael Albinus, emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

On Wed, May 1, 2024 at 6:52 PM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Thank you all for your comments, the reason I am asking for
> > this proposal is to coincide with the release of version 30.1
> > as the beginning of a great new era for emacs and its community
> > (in addition to keeping emacs "updated" in this decade).
>
> There are plenty of domains in our codebase beyond the icon with
> potential for improvement, to which your time and energy would be far
> better devoted.  One example is the absence of stipple support on
> MS-Windows, which is, as I understand it, is currently preventing a
> popular indentation highlighting package from functioning on that
> platform (to which code for drawing dot and dash underlines would be a
> natural accompaniment).  To use the magic word, yes, VS Code implements
> "indent guides", for which it is the more important that we implement it
> with dispatch, if we are to attract users from our mortal competitor, as
> it is portrayed whenever it is invoked to justify a list of mostly
> frivolous priorities.
>
> Would you be willing to volunteer for this task?

Hi Po,
I would gladly like to volunteer, in fact adding stipple support to
MS Windows is in my Contributions ToDo list.

I would like to get more information about how stipple is implemented
in *NIX systems such as which files is stored and which libraries use (if uses).

I don't know if this should be in a separate thread.

Thanks.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  2:50       ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2024-05-02  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arsen; +Cc: eg642616, michael.albinus, emacs-devel, eliz

>> [2. image/svg+xml; EmacsIcon_Without_Gradients.svg]...
>>
>> [3. image/svg+xml; EmacsIcon_With_Gradients.svg]...
>
> Personally, I like the original version you posted (EmacsIcon.svg) - it
> is in the style of today while still being not too big of a change
> compared to the current icon.
>
> I also like the EmacsIcon_Without_Gradients.svg version - I think
> the colors are nicer than the current version.

+1.

    Werner

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  3:02         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-05-02  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: Michael Albinus, emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> writes:

> I would gladly like to volunteer, in fact adding stipple support to
> MS Windows is in my Contributions ToDo list.

Thank you.

> I would like to get more information about how stipple is implemented
> in *NIX systems such as which files is stored

The bulk of the existing implementations are located in the functions
image_create_bitmap_from_data, image_create_bitmap_from_file,
prepare_face_for_display, *_set_glyph_string_gc and
*_draw_glyph_string_background, in image.c, xfaces.c and
platform-specific *term.c files.

> which libraries use (if uses).

No libraries are required but the window system itself.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  6:53         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-05-02  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: luangruo, michael.albinus, emacs-devel

> From: Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 19:52:19 -0600
> Cc: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> I would gladly like to volunteer, in fact adding stipple support to
> MS Windows is in my Contributions ToDo list.

Thanks in advance for working on that.

> I don't know if this should be in a separate thread.

Please do start a new thread about this.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  6:59     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-05-02  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aaaa; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: aaaa <livi@cock.li>
> Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 04:26:31 +0800
>
> I agree that the toolbar icon set is a bigger issue than the application
> icon, and it can be off-putting to new users. I would love to see Emacs
> adopt a more modern, cohesive, and unified look that is on par with some
> of the newer editors out there.

If someone submits nice icons for our tool bar, or points to existing
nice icons, which have no licensing issues, I'm sure they will be
added to Emacs.  AFAIR, all the attempts to do that couldn't find free
icons that are also visually appealing, or at least more appealing
than what we already have.

IOW, it isn't like we don't want better icons, or don't understand or
share the motivation of looking "modern, cohesive, and unified".  It's
just that no one produced such nice icons that we can use.  As always
in Emacs, the problem is the lack of volunteers who are capable of
doing the job, not the lack of motivation.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  7:24     ` Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2024-05-02  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: Michael Albinus, emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

> Thank you all for your comments, the reason I am asking for
> this proposal is to coincide with the release of version 30.1
> as the beginning of a great new era for emacs and its community
> (in addition to keeping emacs "updated" in this decade).
> Based on your comments I've made another 2 conceptual icons
> but now keeping the E symbol, the first is slightly modified
> (keeping the paperish style) and the second is intact.

Why has the file size almost doubled, as compared to the current icon?

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  7:26       ` Arash Esbati
From: Arash Esbati @ 2024-05-02  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Elijah G, Michael Albinus, emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> One example is the absence of stipple support on MS-Windows, which is,
> as I understand it, is currently preventing a popular indentation
> highlighting package from functioning on that platform (to which code
> for drawing dot and dash underlines would be a natural accompaniment).

Maybe I'm missing something, but are stipples supposed to work on NS
(I'm on macOS 14.4.1) after your commit a5f57a8634?

Best, Arash

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  7:49         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-05-02  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arash Esbati; +Cc: Elijah G, Michael Albinus, emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but are stipples supposed to work on NS
> (I'm on macOS 14.4.1) after your commit a5f57a8634?

Stipples have always been implemented on NS, so nothing should have
changed, before or after.  If they're nonfunctional, please report a bug
and I'll see what I can do.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  8:02           ` Arash Esbati
From: Arash Esbati @ 2024-05-02  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Elijah G, Michael Albinus, emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Stipples have always been implemented on NS, so nothing should have
> changed, before or after.  If they're nonfunctional, please report a bug
> and I'll see what I can do.

I once looked at the indent-bars library[1] which uses stipples.  The
site says that stipples don't work on NS[2].  The provided test doesn't
give the expected results for me on NS/macOS as well[3].

Before opening a bug report, do you have a chance to run the test
provided on that page?  Maybe you get good results.  Thanks.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/jdtsmith/indent-bars
[2]  https://github.com/jdtsmith/indent-bars?tab=readme-ov-file#compatibility
[3]  https://github.com/jdtsmith/indent-bars?tab=readme-ov-file#testing-stipples

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-05-02  8:05 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-05-02  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: emacs-devel

Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I made a new icon for emacs to replace the current one into a bit
> more "modern" according to current icons from other editors such as
> neovim, zed, vscode and codium, etc.
>
> This new icon uses a new E letter based on the one made by Nicolas
> Petton with a style more minimalist and geometric (like a folded strip
> of paper).
>
> Below this you can get the attached icon. I would like to see their
> feedback if this is a good idea and if I should send a patch to
> implement this.
> Thanks.

While on the topic, why not revert to the Emacs logo before 2001:

[-- Attachment #2: emacs-logo-before-2001.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 3297 bytes --]

(This reminds me that I proposed freewear.org sell a t-shirt with a
variation of this logo a few months ago, but nothing has happened)

--
	Philip Kaludercic on peregrine

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-05-02  8:54 ` Tino Calancha
From: Tino Calancha @ 2024-05-02  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thank you for your time preparing this new icon.
I also prefer the original one.
Tino

@ 2024-05-02  9:45             ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-05-02  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arash Esbati; +Cc: Elijah G, Michael Albinus, emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

> I once looked at the indent-bars library[1] which uses stipples.  The
> site says that stipples don't work on NS[2].  The provided test doesn't
> give the expected results for me on NS/macOS as well[3].
>
> Before opening a bug report, do you have a chance to run the test
> provided on that page?  Maybe you get good results.  Thanks.

I see the problem, or rather, two distinct problems, the one being that
the cursor face is flatly ignored when a stipple pattern is present,
which I've just fixed, the other that the colors of such a stipple
pattern are fixed to the image's background color and a black
foreground, rather than adapting to the colors of the face in which it
is displayed.  Here my scant knowledge of matters Nextstep failed me,
and as such I will leave this to someone else with more experience than
I.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  9:52   ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-05-02  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Elijah G, emacs-devel

> While on the topic, why not revert to the Emacs logo before 2001:

> (This reminds me that I proposed freewear.org sell a t-shirt with a
> variation of this logo a few months ago, but nothing has happened)

Because it's not an icon but a logo, and one not terribly removed from
our current logo...

Did etc/emacs.xbm ever figure in emacs-icon.h?  Where is it now?  I
could almost swear that it is still around, for it is what I see in the
icon window of an iconified Emacs.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02  9:57       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2024-05-02  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, aaaa; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 02/05/2024 09:59, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: aaaa <livi@cock.li>
>> Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 04:26:31 +0800
>>
>> I agree that the toolbar icon set is a bigger issue than the application
>> icon, and it can be off-putting to new users. I would love to see Emacs
>> adopt a more modern, cohesive, and unified look that is on par with some
>> of the newer editors out there.
>
> If someone submits nice icons for our tool bar, or points to existing
> nice icons, which have no licensing issues, I'm sure they will be
> added to Emacs.  AFAIR, all the attempts to do that couldn't find free
> icons that are also visually appealing, or at least more appealing
> than what we already have.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of icon sets out there that are more
appealing, and with compatible license, it's just that nobody made a
real effort to choose one and present that choice.

Most macOS users just disable the tool-bar, but that doesn't help the
initial impression.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02 10:00               ` Arash Esbati
From: Arash Esbati @ 2024-05-02 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Elijah G, Michael Albinus, emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I see the problem, or rather, two distinct problems, the one being that
> the cursor face is flatly ignored when a stipple pattern is present,
> which I've just fixed, the other that the colors of such a stipple
> pattern are fixed to the image's background color and a black
> foreground, rather than adapting to the colors of the face in which it
> is displayed.  Here my scant knowledge of matters Nextstep failed me,
> and as such I will leave this to someone else with more experience than
> I.

Thanks!  I've built Emacs with your change and can confirm the above.  I
will file a bug report for the second part so it doesn't get lost.

Best, Arash

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02 12:03         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-05-02 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, aaaa, emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> I'm pretty sure there are a lot of icon sets out there that are more
> appealing, and with compatible license, it's just that nobody made a
> real effort to choose one and present that choice.

Wasn't it only two years ago that the very question of tool bar icons
was raised and debated ferociously on this list?  As it happens, the
feature branch where one potential option was implemented is yet
available:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/?h=scratch/icons

and at the time, the consensus was that there was inadequate contrast
between different icons in this collection, that they appeared
out-of-place amidst the rest of our user interface, and that there was
really no obstacle to introducing even this new icon set, provided that
it was disabled by default, and could be easily toggled.  (Sound
familiar?  It should, for you and yours truly both participated in the
subsequent thread, and by no stretch of the imagination is a feature
branch with a hefty set of diffs from master a "real effort to choose
one and present that choice.")

I faintly recall that the other candidate was the XDG's Tango icons,
which, though satisfying these criteria, the cohort who simply cannot
abide the existing icons would not settle for either, and the discussion
died a natural death, leaving just the status quo, though I cannot
guarantee it was in the context of Emacs that this discussion took
place, as it might well have related to some other software.

You are, of course, entitled to forget events as they move into the
recent past, but please don't assume that this implies that they never
happened.

> Most macOS users just disable the tool-bar, but that doesn't help the
> initial impression.

At any rate, it should be more than trivial to enable GNUstep or Mac
OS's default icons with code in line with what is already present in the
GTK ports.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02 12:08           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-05-02 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, aaaa, emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:
>
>> I'm pretty sure there are a lot of icon sets out there that are more
>> appealing, and with compatible license, it's just that nobody made a
>> real effort to choose one and present that choice.
>
> Wasn't it only two years ago that the very question of tool bar icons
> was raised and debated ferociously on this list?  As it happens, the
> feature branch where one potential option was implemented is yet
> available:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/?h=scratch/icons
>
> and at the time, the consensus was that there was inadequate contrast
> between different icons in this collection, that they appeared
> out-of-place amidst the rest of our user interface, and that there was
> really no obstacle to introducing even this new icon set, provided that
> it was disabled by default, and could be easily toggled.  (Sound
> familiar?  It should, for you and yours truly both participated in the
> subsequent thread, and by no stretch of the imagination is a feature
> branch with a hefty set of diffs from master a "real effort to choose
                                              ^

I meant to say, not a "real effort...

* Re: [External] : Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-02 16:54         ` David Koppelman
From: David Koppelman @ 2024-05-02 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> Just bring back the kitchen sink.
> That is what makes everything Emacs.

That's what I use:

[-- Attachment #2: Sink Icon --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 40018 bytes --]

@ 2024-05-02 17:01     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-05-02 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Elijah G, emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> While on the topic, why not revert to the Emacs logo before 2001:

>> (This reminds me that I proposed freewear.org sell a t-shirt with a
>> variation of this logo a few months ago, but nothing has happened)
>
> Because it's not an icon but a logo, and one not terribly removed from
> our current logo...

I forgot to add an indication that I am not being serious.

> Did etc/emacs.xbm ever figure in emacs-icon.h?  Where is it now?  I
> could almost swear that it is still around, for it is what I see in the
> icon window of an iconified Emacs.

I am not sure what you mean.  The I attached in my previous message was
extracted from the Git history.

--

@ 2024-05-02 19:26       ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-05-02 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: Michael Albinus, emacs-devel

On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 1:24 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > Thank you all for your comments, the reason I am asking for
> > this proposal is to coincide with the release of version 30.1
> > as the beginning of a great new era for emacs and its community
> > (in addition to keeping emacs "updated" in this decade).
> > Based on your comments I've made another 2 conceptual icons
> > but now keeping the E symbol, the first is slightly modified
> > (keeping the paperish style) and the second is intact.
>
> Why has the file size almost doubled, as compared to the current icon?

Because the original svg where I made the icons was taken from wikimedia
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EmacsIcon.svg).
Also these icons are only conceptual, intended to be a proposal and
not a final design
so it can expect to have a "huge" size.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-03 10:47           ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2024-05-03 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, aaaa, emacs-devel

On 02/05/2024 15:03, Po Lu wrote:
> and at the time, the consensus was that there was inadequate contrast
> between different icons in this collection, that they appeared
> out-of-place amidst the rest of our user interface, and that there was
> really no obstacle to introducing even this new icon set, provided that
> it was disabled by default, and could be easily toggled.

I'll have to revisit the branch, but an icon set that is off by default
is about just as useful for improving the default look of the editor as
the ability to toggle the tool-bar off. Which is to say, very little
improvement over the status quo.

I'm sorry about downplaying the amount of effort that went into this,
though. Let me take a second look at the proposed set this evening. Too
bad we don't have a page with an overview - or it's lost in some older
thread.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-03 11:03             ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-05-03 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, aaaa, emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> I'll have to revisit the branch, but an icon set that is off by
> default is about just as useful for improving the default look of the
> editor as the ability to toggle the tool-bar off. Which is to say,
> very little improvement over the status quo.

Useful or not, it's what we decided, and there are yet no reasons to
reconsider this decision.

> I'm sorry about downplaying the amount of effort that went into this,
> though. Let me take a second look at the proposed set this
> evening. Too bad we don't have a page with an overview - or it's lost
> in some older thread.

If it helps, most of the discussion took place in August 2022.

* Re: Proposal for a new emacs icon
@ 2024-05-05  3:44               ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2024-05-05  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, aaaa, emacs-devel

On 03/05/2024 14:03, Po Lu wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>  writes:
>
>> I'll have to revisit the branch, but an icon set that is off by
>> default is about just as useful for improving the default look of the
>> editor as the ability to toggle the tool-bar off. Which is to say,
>> very little improvement over the status quo.
> Useful or not, it's what we decided, and there are yet no reasons to
> reconsider this decision.
>
>> I'm sorry about downplaying the amount of effort that went into this,
>> though. Let me take a second look at the proposed set this
>> evening. Too bad we don't have a page with an overview - or it's lost
>> in some older thread.
> If it helps, most of the discussion took place in August 2022.

Thanks.

Here's a message with a comparison from back then for those that forgot:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-08/msg01085.html