* [ELPA] New package: evdocs
@ 2021-05-29 11:54 Augusto Stoffel
From: Augusto Stoffel @ 2021-05-29 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I would like to submit a new package to GNU ELPA:

  evdocs: Emacs viewer for DevDocs
  https://github.com/astoff/evdocs/

DevDocs (https://devdocs.io) is a webapp providing documentation for
several languages and APIs, suitably formatted and indexed for search,
with the option to download the data for offline use.

This little package provides a viewer similar to the Info browser, so
one can read those documents directly in Emacs.  Some advantages of this
include the ability to activate specific documents on a buffer-local
basis, and using one's favorite completion framework to find
documentation entries.

Many bells and whistles can still be added to the package, which I
intend do over time if it's deemed worth including in ELPA.

[About the silly name: "devdocs" is already taken by a MELPA package.
That package is quite different and doesn't provide a viewer; it simply
calls `browse-url' on a suitable https://devdocs.io location.]

* Re: [ELPA] New package: evdocs
@ 2021-05-29 12:05 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-05-29 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Augusto Stoffel; +Cc: emacs-devel

Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> writes:

> [About the silly name: "devdocs" is already taken by a MELPA package.
> That package is quite different and doesn't provide a viewer; it simply
> calls `browse-url' on a suitable https://devdocs.io location.]

Couldn't you just call it dev-docs, in that case?

--
	Philip K.

* Re: [ELPA] New package: evdocs
@ 2021-05-29 14:09 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-05-29 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Augusto Stoffel; +Cc: emacs-devel

> [About the silly name: "devdocs" is already taken by a MELPA package.
> That package is quite different and doesn't provide a viewer; it simply
> calls `browse-url' on a suitable https://devdocs.io location.]

AFAICT that MELPA package hasn't seen any activity in the last 4 years
and is *very* simple.  Any chance you could make yours be a superset of
that one and then ask its author if he minds that you take that name
(basically, ask him to pass maintainership to you)?

* Re: [ELPA] New package: evdocs
@ 2021-05-29 15:11   ` Augusto Stoffel
From: Augusto Stoffel @ 2021-05-29 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 10:09, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> [About the silly name: "devdocs" is already taken by a MELPA package.
>> That package is quite different and doesn't provide a viewer; it simply
>> calls `browse-url' on a suitable https://devdocs.io location.]
>
> AFAICT that MELPA package hasn't seen any activity in the last 4 years
> and is *very* simple.  Any chance you could make yours be a superset of
> that one and then ask its author if he minds that you take that name
> (basically, ask him to pass maintainership to you)?
>

>         Stefan

I didn't want to even support the option to open an URL in an external
browser, which is what the other package does.  But you are right, it
would cost nothing to add this extra little command for backwards
compatibility.

So I just asked the author of "devdocs" package.

* Re: [ELPA] New package: devdocs
@ 2021-05-29 16:53   ` Augusto Stoffel
From: Augusto Stoffel @ 2021-05-29 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, emacs-devel

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 10:09, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> [About the silly name: "devdocs" is already taken by a MELPA package.
>> That package is quite different and doesn't provide a viewer; it simply
>> calls `browse-url' on a suitable https://devdocs.io location.]
>
> AFAICT that MELPA package hasn't seen any activity in the last 4 years
> and is *very* simple.  Any chance you could make yours be a superset of
> that one and then ask its author if he minds that you take that name
> (basically, ask him to pass maintainership to you)?
>

>         Stefan

All right, the author of the existing "devdocs" package agreed to hand
over maintainership[1].  I just reimplemented myself the one command
provided by that old package, so there should be no copyright questions.

The git repository of my package is now at https://github.com/astoff/devdocs.el

[1]: https://github.com/xuchunyang/DevDocs.el/issues/4

* Re: [ELPA] New package: devdocs
@ 2021-05-29 17:20     ` Yikai Zhao
From: Yikai Zhao @ 2021-05-29 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello there!

Just want you to know that I just created a very similar package not long ago: https://github.com/blahgeek/emacs-devdocs-browser (what a nice coincidence :)

Yikai

* Re: [ELPA] New package: evdocs
@ 2021-05-30 14:10 ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-05-30 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Augusto Stoffel; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 228 bytes --]

Installing devdocs from elpa: it installs, but things like load-library
dont appear to find it -- package build problem?

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: [ELPA] New package: evdocs
@ 2021-05-30 14:22   ` Augusto Stoffel
From: Augusto Stoffel @ 2021-05-30 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 07:10, "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> wrote:

> Installing devdocs from elpa: it installs, but things like load-library
> dont appear to find it -- package build problem?

I forgot the add the autoload cookies... I'll fix this soon.

* Re: [ELPA] New package: devdocs
@ 2021-05-30 15:30       ` Augusto Stoffel
From: Augusto Stoffel @ 2021-05-30 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yikai Zhao; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 01:20, "Yikai Zhao" <i@blahgeek.com> wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> Just want you to know that I just created a very similar package not long ago: https://github.com/blahgeek/emacs-devdocs-browser (what a nice coincidence :)
>
> Yikai

This is crazy!  A package like this could have existed for several
years, but we had pretty much the same idea more or less at the same
time...  I guess two packages for the same purpose is not too many; then
people can choose based on the different features.

The readme says your package isn't submitted to MELPA yet.  I assume
this means you're planning to do so?

* Re: [ELPA] New package: devdocs
@ 2021-05-30 15:44         ` Yikai Zhao
From: Yikai Zhao @ 2021-05-30 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Augusto Stoffel; +Cc: emacs-devel

> This is crazy!  A package like this could have existed for several
> years, but we had pretty much the same idea more or less at the same
> time...

Exactly!

> I guess two packages for the same purpose is not too many; then
> people can choose based on the different features.

I agree that since our two packages are both relatively young, we can
keep maintaining them separately and see how it goes.

> The readme says your package isn't submitted to MELPA yet.  I assume
> this means you're planning to do so?

Yes I already submitted a PR to MELPA several days ago and I'm waiting
for the response. I'm not really familiar with the ELPA and mailing list
workflow so I think I'm going to stay with MELPA for now.

Yikai