* What happened to smtp/sasl?
@ 2013-11-27 16:39 Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2013-11-27 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Just updated to latest Emacs snapshot, and my SMTP configuration stopped
working. After digging a bit, I managed to change the set smtp-*
variables, but I think we have a feature regression here.

I didn't find any way to store the SASL password. Now I've to type each
time I sent a mail. Before that, smtpmail was (somehow) using
auth-source, which stores my login and password for the SMTP server.

What happened there?

--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker # independent consultant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: What happened to smtp/sasl?
@ 2013-11-29 15:13 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-11-29 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 17:39:27 +0100 Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> wrote:

JD> Just updated to latest Emacs snapshot, and my SMTP configuration stopped
JD> working. After digging a bit, I managed to change the set smtp-*
JD> variables, but I think we have a feature regression here.

JD> I didn't find any way to store the SASL password. Now I've to type each
JD> time I sent a mail. Before that, smtpmail was (somehow) using
JD> auth-source, which stores my login and password for the SMTP server.

JD> What happened there?

Hi Julien,

can you give a bug report or a way to duplicate the issue?  What's in
your .authinfo file?  What was the last working Emacs version for this?
What servers (ideally accessible publicly) are you hitting?  I need to
replicate it somehow.

I don't think I've changed anything that could cause this regression,
but I just don't know where to begin hunting.

Ted

* Re: What happened to smtp/sasl?
@ 2013-11-29 15:27   ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2013-11-29 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, Nov 29 2013, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> can you give a bug report or a way to duplicate the issue?  What's in
> your .authinfo file?  What was the last working Emacs version for this?
> What servers (ideally accessible publicly) are you hitting?  I need to
> replicate it somehow.
>
> I don't think I've changed anything that could cause this regression,
> but I just don't know where to begin hunting.

Damn… So I tried to explore the logs to see what happened, and this is
not related to a change recently done.

Actually what happened is that `flim' got installed on my machine, and
its `smtp' package got used instead of `smtpmail' to send my mails.

Why is that, I don't know. I suspect there is some code that hooked up
`smtp' instead of `smtpmail', even if I have
`message-send-mail-function' set to `message-smtpmail-send-it'.

Removing flim -- that I don't even know what it is about nor care --
solved the problem.

Should be pretty easy to reproduce, though not sure it's worth it. I
don't know if it's `smtp.el' that's abusing the system or `message.el'
that's trying to play nice if you got an old package installed.

Sorry for the noise, let's hope that thread may help future Internet
traveller having this problem at some point.

Thanks Ted.

--

@ 2013-11-29 22:17     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-11-29 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 16:27:13 +0100 Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> wrote:

JD> On Fri, Nov 29 2013, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> can you give a bug report or a way to duplicate the issue?  What's in
>> your .authinfo file?  What was the last working Emacs version for this?
>> What servers (ideally accessible publicly) are you hitting?  I need to
>> replicate it somehow.
>>
>> I don't think I've changed anything that could cause this regression,
>> but I just don't know where to begin hunting.

JD> Damn… So I tried to explore the logs to see what happened, and this is
JD> not related to a change recently done.

JD> Actually what happened is that `flim' got installed on my machine, and
JD> its `smtp' package got used instead of `smtpmail' to send my mails.

JD> Why is that, I don't know. I suspect there is some code that hooked up
JD> `smtp' instead of `smtpmail', even if I have
JD> `message-send-mail-function' set to `message-smtpmail-send-it'.

JD> Removing flim -- that I don't even know what it is about nor care --
JD> solved the problem.

JD> Should be pretty easy to reproduce, though not sure it's worth it. I
JD> don't know if it's `smtp.el' that's abusing the system or `message.el'
JD> that's trying to play nice if you got an old package installed.

JD> Sorry for the noise, let's hope that thread may help future Internet
JD> traveller having this problem at some point.

Nice explanation.  I'm OK with leaving it alone for now.

Ted