* Re: master 24a8cc5: Define revert-buffer-function for *Memory Report*
       [not found] ` <20210716180547.6398120D13@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2021-07-16 18:17   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-07-16 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Mattias Engdegård

> +  (setq-local revert-buffer-function (lambda (_ignore-auto _noconfirm)
> +                                       (memory-report)))

I hope someone will find it in them to tackle the problem of common
"reference" format which can be shared between `revert-buffer-function`,
`bookmark`, `help-xref`, ...

* Re: master 24a8cc5: Define revert-buffer-function for *Memory Report*
@ 2021-07-17 13:46     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-07-17 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Mattias Engdegård, emacs-devel

>> +  (setq-local revert-buffer-function (lambda (_ignore-auto _noconfirm)
>> +                                       (memory-report)))
>
> I hope someone will find it in them to tackle the problem of common
> "reference" format which can be shared between `revert-buffer-function`,
> `bookmark`, `help-xref`, ...

What problem is that?

* Re: master 24a8cc5: Define revert-buffer-function for *Memory Report*
@ 2021-07-17 17:58       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-07-17 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel, Mattias Engdegård

Lars Ingebrigtsen [2021-07-17 15:46:14] wrote:
>>> +  (setq-local revert-buffer-function (lambda (_ignore-auto _noconfirm)
>>> +                                       (memory-report)))
>>
>> I hope someone will find it in them to tackle the problem of common
>> "reference" format which can be shared between `revert-buffer-function`,
>> `bookmark`, `help-xref`, ...
>
> What problem is that?

The problem that those should all rely on a single piece of information
provided by the mode and it should work for help-xref, for bookmark, for
revert-buffer instead of having to set those separately, each one using
a slightly different representation and calling convention.

* Re: master 24a8cc5: Define revert-buffer-function for *Memory Report*
@ 2021-07-17 18:57         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-07-17 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Mattias Engdegård, emacs-devel

> The problem that those should all rely on a single piece of information
> provided by the mode and it should work for help-xref, for bookmark, for
> revert-buffer instead of having to set those separately, each one using
> a slightly different representation and calling convention.

Ah, yeah, that's true -- the use cases do overlap somewhat.  And it'd be
nice to go able to bookmark more special-mode buffers.

* Re: master 24a8cc5: Define revert-buffer-function for *Memory Report*
@ 2021-07-17 21:41           ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2021-07-17 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Mattias Engdegård, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

>> The problem that those should all rely on a single piece of information
>> provided by the mode and it should work for help-xref, for bookmark, for
>> revert-buffer instead of having to set those separately, each one using
>> a slightly different representation and calling convention.
>
> Ah, yeah, that's true -- the use cases do overlap somewhat.  And it'd be
> nice to go able to bookmark more special-mode buffers.

Using revert-buffer-function for bookmarking then is similar to
saving revert-buffer-function to the desktop file
to be able to revisit it after restarting Emacs.
This will remove the need of implementing both hooks:
bookmark-make-record-function and desktop-buffer-mode-handlers.