* Re: master 93824a7: Add new face `variable-pitch-text'
       [not found] ` <20211201162022.3815120ABB@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2021-12-01 16:27   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-12-01 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

larsi@gnus.org (Lars Ingebrigtsen) writes:

>     Add new face `variable-pitch-text'

There's been some feedback on the awkwardness of mixing proportional and
monospace fonts in texts, and this is an attempt at trying to make Emacs
work better out of the box here.

The problem is that Emacs (correctly) chooses a font for
`variable-pitch' that has the same specs (i.e., same height) as the
`default' (usually monospace) font.  However, this is visually smaller,
which means that if you have a longer text that mixes the two, the
monospace bits "jump out" at you.

This has lead to people commonly having

  (set-face-attribute 'variable-pitch nil :height 130)

in their .emacs files.

Now, we can't just pick a bigger font for `variable-pitch', because
it's...  correct.  And fine in the mode line and the menus, etc.  So
I've introduced a new face that's just slightly bigger, and made modes
like shr depend on that instead.

The results look promising to me on the systems I've tested, but of
course, this won't look good everywhere.

In particular, those people who've already pumped up the size of the
face because it was too small in eww will now get a bigger face there.
(The solution is to remove the embiggening from .emacs.)

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-12-01 16:27 UTC | newest]