* Re: [elpa] externals/ef-themes b6fc326946: Add ef-bio theme
       [not found] ` <20221002055734.E8E12C0004A@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2022-10-02 11:50   ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-10-02 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Protesilaos Stavrou

ELPA Syncer <elpasync@gnu.org> writes:

> branch: externals/ef-themes
> commit b6fc32694646c65adbf1ed6d3d7bfddf55e16273
> Author: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
> Commit: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
>
>     Add ef-bio theme
>
>     Read the announcement, which also includes screen shots:
>     <https://protesilaos.com/codelog/2022-10-02-ef-themes-bio-theme/>.
>
>     Enjoy your new theme :)

Out of curiosity, what is your long-term plan for ef-themes?  Do you
plan to add more and more variations, or is there some upper bound you
plan to approach?  It seems to me that maintenance will become more and
more difficult, and it would be a shame to see the nice themes
abandoned, because of it becoming infeasible to properly test all the
changes.

Also, do you think that splitting up the theme into multiple packages
would be a good idea?

* Re: [elpa] externals/ef-themes b6fc326946: Add ef-bio theme
@ 2022-10-02 12:18     ` Protesilaos Stavrou
From: Protesilaos Stavrou @ 2022-10-02 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic, emacs-devel

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Date: Sun,  2 Oct 2022 11:50:52 +0000
>
> ELPA Syncer <elpasync@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> branch: externals/ef-themes
>> commit b6fc32694646c65adbf1ed6d3d7bfddf55e16273
>> Author: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
>> Commit: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
>>
>>     Add ef-bio theme
>>
>>     Read the announcement, which also includes screen shots:
>>     <https://protesilaos.com/codelog/2022-10-02-ef-themes-bio-theme/>.
>>
>>     Enjoy your new theme :)
>
> Out of curiosity, what is your long-term plan for ef-themes?  Do you
> plan to add more and more variations, or is there some upper bound you
> plan to approach?  It seems to me that maintenance will become more and
> more difficult, and it would be a shame to see the nice themes
> abandoned, because of it becoming infeasible to properly test all the
> changes.

This is why the principle is to not add customisation options that
introduce colour permutations (e.g. change the intensity of the
'region').  Those will indeed make the project unmaintainable.

Without customisation options, the maintenance is manageable.  It is
basically limited to the occasional tweak to the supported faces.
Granted, now I am still iterating on the individual colour palettes
because we have not yet reached version 1.0.0 (maybe before the end of
the year).

The supported packages are also curated.  Unlike the modus-themes, not
every package is meant to be covered.

In terms of total number of themes, I started working on another light
theme to bring the total number to 16.  I will probably finalise it
tonight or tomorrow.  Then I MIGHT develop two more themes specifically
for tritanopia (blue-yellow colour deficiency), which will be the final
ones.

> Also, do you think that splitting up the theme into multiple packages
> would be a good idea?

I am not against it per se, if there is some practical reason to do it
(e.g. to bundle two of the themes with some other project).  Though now
I feel it is easier to keep them all in one package.

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com

* Re: [elpa] externals/ef-themes b6fc326946: Add ef-bio theme
@ 2022-10-02 16:50       ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-10-02 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Protesilaos Stavrou; +Cc: emacs-devel

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
>> Date: Sun,  2 Oct 2022 11:50:52 +0000
>>
>> ELPA Syncer <elpasync@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> branch: externals/ef-themes
>>> commit b6fc32694646c65adbf1ed6d3d7bfddf55e16273
>>> Author: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
>>> Commit: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
>>>
>>>     Add ef-bio theme
>>>
>>>     Read the announcement, which also includes screen shots:
>>>     <https://protesilaos.com/codelog/2022-10-02-ef-themes-bio-theme/>.
>>>
>>>     Enjoy your new theme :)
>>
>> Out of curiosity, what is your long-term plan for ef-themes?  Do you
>> plan to add more and more variations, or is there some upper bound you
>> plan to approach?  It seems to me that maintenance will become more and
>> more difficult, and it would be a shame to see the nice themes
>> abandoned, because of it becoming infeasible to properly test all the
>> changes.
>
> This is why the principle is to not add customisation options that
> introduce colour permutations (e.g. change the intensity of the
> 'region').  Those will indeed make the project unmaintainable.
>
> Without customisation options, the maintenance is manageable.  It is
> basically limited to the occasional tweak to the supported faces.
> Granted, now I am still iterating on the individual colour palettes
> because we have not yet reached version 1.0.0 (maybe before the end of
> the year).
>
> The supported packages are also curated.  Unlike the modus-themes, not
> every package is meant to be covered.
>
> In terms of total number of themes, I started working on another light
> theme to bring the total number to 16.  I will probably finalise it
> tonight or tomorrow.  Then I MIGHT develop two more themes specifically
> for tritanopia (blue-yellow colour deficiency), which will be the final
> ones.

OK, in that case everything should be fine.

>> Also, do you think that splitting up the theme into multiple packages
>> would be a good idea?
>
> I am not against it per se, if there is some practical reason to do it
> (e.g. to bundle two of the themes with some other project).  Though now
> I feel it is easier to keep them all in one package.

If you decide to go down that path one day, say for the sake of
modularity, when I'd be glad to help getting it done.