* Re: AUCTeX 11.87 released (elpa)
       [not found]           ` <87ehj4oda1.fsf_-_@gmail.com>
@ 2012-12-05 13:45             ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-12-05 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George McNinch; +Cc: auctex, Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com> writes:

Hi George,

>     >>> But I can update the AUCTeX files on the ELPA branch tomorrow
>     >>> and ask on emacs-devel so that someone updates the package.
>
>     Tassilo> It turned out not to be that easy.  The auctex package in
>     Tassilo> the elpa branch uses a different directory layout which
>     Tassilo> seems to make some manual adaptions needed here and there.
>
> I have been using AUCTeX 11.86 from elpa for a while. Upon upgrading
> yesterday to 11.87, "things broke".

Argh!  Nobody should have rolled an auctex release from the current elpa
branch.  I didn't have time to test the manually merged auctex version
in there.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't work. :-)

Dear ELPA admins, could you please rollback to 11.86 until I (or someone
else) had time to test the current auctex 11.87 elpa version?

Is the elpa emacs branch to ELPA archive an automated procedure/cronjob
nowadays?  I've thought elpa package providers need to ping Chong or
Stefan when they want to roll a new release of their package...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: AUCTeX 11.87 released (elpa)
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-12-05 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George McNinch; +Cc: auctex, Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

> Is the elpa emacs branch to ELPA archive an automated procedure/cronjob
> nowadays?

Yes, a nightly cron job.  So you probably want to either fix it quickly,
or revert the changes temporarily, work on a separate branch and merge
the result when it's stable.

* Re: AUCTeX 11.87 released (elpa)
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-12-05 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George McNinch; +Cc: auctex, Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

>> Is the elpa emacs branch to ELPA archive an automated procedure/cronjob
>> nowadays?
> Yes, a nightly cron job.  So you probably want to either fix it quickly,
> or revert the changes temporarily, work on a separate branch and merge
> the result when it's stable.

BTW, I've just changed the cron script so that it only creates a new
package when the "version" is changed.  As long as the "version" is not
modified, the script assumes you're still working on the next release
and the changes are not good enough to be release in the GNU ELPA archive.

I also added a packages/README file that tries to explain it.

* Re: AUCTeX 11.87 released (elpa)
@ 2012-12-05 16:25                   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-12-05 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: George McNinch, Chong Yidong, auctex, emacs-devel

>>> Is the elpa emacs branch to ELPA archive an automated procedure/cronjob
>>> nowadays?
>> Yes, a nightly cron job.  So you probably want to either fix it quickly,
>> or revert the changes temporarily, work on a separate branch and merge
>> the result when it's stable.

I'll revert them.  Hm, what's the right bzr command for doing so?
Naively, I'd do something like

  $ bzr diff -r313..311 > backout.patch
  $ bzr diff -r315..314 >> backout.patch
  $ patch -p0 <backout.patch
  $ bzr (add|rm) ...
  $ bzr commit

but I guess there's something better, right?

> BTW, I've just changed the cron script so that it only creates a new
> package when the "version" is changed.  As long as the "version" is
> not modified, the script assumes you're still working on the next
> release and the changes are not good enough to be release in the GNU
> ELPA archive.
>
> I also added a packages/README file that tries to explain it.

That's a good idea.  In the future, I'll only touch the version when I'm
really sure the package works.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: AUCTeX 11.87 released (elpa)
@ 2012-12-05 16:33                     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-12-05 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: George McNinch, Chong Yidong, auctex, emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

>>> Yes, a nightly cron job.  So you probably want to either fix it
>>> quickly, or revert the changes temporarily, work on a separate
>>> branch and merge the result when it's stable.
>
> I'll revert them.  Hm, what's the right bzr command for doing so?
> Naively, I'd do something like
>
>   $ bzr diff -r313..311 > backout.patch
>   $ bzr diff -r315..314 >> backout.patch
>   $ patch -p0 <backout.patch
>   $ bzr (add|rm) ...
>   $ bzr commit
>
> but I guess there's something better, right?

Ok, done using

  $ bzr revert -r311 packages/auctex
  $ bzr commit

Bye,