* what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07  8:46 Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-06-07  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development List

I am trying to clone emacs for the last two days now.

bzr branch bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
Connection Timeout: disconnecting client after 300.0 seconds

I am running on my server. It doesn't have any network connection
problem.

Is there something wrong with the server?
--
Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics,
because the stakes are so low.

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 10:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-07 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr>
> Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:46:37 +0200
>
> I am trying to clone emacs for the last two days now.
>
> bzr branch bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
> Connection Timeout: disconnecting client after 300.0 seconds

Someone or something has reset the timeout to a ridiculously small
value.  Please ask on Savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org to fix this; it
was 4 or even 8 hours last time I checked.

> I am running on my server. It doesn't have any network connection
> problem.

Cloning the entire repository for the first time requires about 40 min
on a reasonably fast connection.  Emacs is just too large.

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 10:13   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-07 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivan, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:01:07 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > From: Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr>
> > Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:46:37 +0200
> >
> > I am trying to clone emacs for the last two days now.
> >
> > bzr branch bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
> > Connection Timeout: disconnecting client after 300.0 seconds
>
> Someone or something has reset the timeout to a ridiculously small
> value.  Please ask on Savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org to fix this; it
> was 4 or even 8 hours last time I checked.

Actually, I take that back: I just tried this myself, and it is
working for 600 sec already without timing out.  Stay tuned.

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 10:55     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-07 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivan, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:13:25 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:01:07 +0300
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > > From: Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr>
> > > Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:46:37 +0200
> > >
> > > I am trying to clone emacs for the last two days now.
> > >
> > > bzr branch bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
> > > Connection Timeout: disconnecting client after 300.0 seconds
> >
> > Someone or something has reset the timeout to a ridiculously small
> > value.  Please ask on Savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org to fix this; it
> > was 4 or even 8 hours last time I checked.
>
> Actually, I take that back: I just tried this myself, and it is
> working for 600 sec already without timing out.  Stay tuned.

It just finished successfully, after this:

  Branched 112884 revisions.

  real    00h49m28.994s
  user    00h10m03.203s
  sys     00h00m34.187s

Perhaps you have some local timeout somewhere?

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 11:49       ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-06-07 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

June, 07 at 13:55 Eli wrote:

>> working for 600 sec already without timing out.  Stay tuned.
>
> It just finished successfully.

No success for the one I ran 5 hours ago

> Perhaps you have some local timeout somewhere?

Not that I know of.

I just run the command again.
--
It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness.
    -- Leo Tolstoy

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 12:30 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-06-07 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Emacs Development List

If your timeout problem remains you can seed your local repository via
rsync, which is restartable.

rsync://bzr.sv.gnu.org/bzr/emacs/.bzr/

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 14:55   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-06-07 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Emacs Development List

June, 07 at 14:30 Andreas wrote:

> If your timeout problem remains you can seed your local repository via
> rsync, which is restartable.

Well it timed out again. *sigh*

How do I authenticate with rsync?

      rsync ivankanis@bzr.sv.gnu.org:/bzr/emacs/.bzr/ .
You tried to execute: rsync --server --sender -e.Lsf . /bzr/emacs/.bzr/
Sorry, you are not allowed to execute that command.

--
Much of the stress that people feel doesn't come from having too much
to do. It comes from not finishing what they've started.

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 15:42     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-06-07 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Emacs Development List

Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:

> How do I authenticate with rsync?

You don't. Use the URL I posted.

Andreas.

--

@ 2013-06-07 16:06     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-07 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Firstly, it is sort of flattering that people think emacs-devel can fix
every problem in the known universe, but isn't it kind of obvious that
we don't manage the GNU infrastructure, and that this is not the right
address for problems with Savannah? I don't know how many times this
needs to be said.

Anyway, we are here now, and by a total coincidence I can actually look
into this as of a few days ago.

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> > bzr branch bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
>> > Connection Timeout: disconnecting client after 300.0 seconds

Don't know where that comes from. AFAIK there is no timeout on bzr+ssh.

There is a 5 hour time out on anonymous bzr:// access, which seems
reasonable. Nothing has changed in this area recently AFAIK.

>> Someone or something has reset the timeout to a ridiculously small
>> value.  Please ask on Savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org to fix this; it
>> was 4 or even 8 hours last time I checked.
>
> Actually, I take that back: I just tried this myself, and it is
> working for 600 sec already without timing out.  Stay tuned.

Indeed.

(But please everybody don't go hammering the server to check what the
value is for you.)

Hmm, seems this may be internal to bzr:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/1112797

Maybe it is only supposed to affect commit though?

I can see the 300 sec timeout in the logs on the server...

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 16:12       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

PS trying upgrading your bzr client to at least 2.5.

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 16:24       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-07 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:

> Hmm, seems this may be internal to bzr:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/1112797
>
> Maybe it is only supposed to affect commit though?
>
> I can see the 300 sec timeout in the logs on the server...

Seems like it is only supposed to be after 300s of _idle_ time:

http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/bzr.dev/en/user-reference/serve-help.html
https://launchpad.net/bzr/2.5/2.5b2
full changelog:

  ``bzr serve`` will now disconnect clients if they have not issued an RPC
 request after 5minutes.

So, I dunno.

I wonder if ssh keep-alive would help?

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 17:13       ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-06-07 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

June, 07 at 12:06 Glenn wrote:

> Firstly, it is sort of flattering that people think emacs-devel can fix
> every problem in the known universe, but isn't it kind of obvious that
> we don't manage the GNU infrastructure, and that this is not the right
> address for problems with Savannah? I don't know how many times this
> needs to be said.

OK, I don't follow the list closely. Where is the right place to ask?
--
Rule your mind or it will rule you.
    -- Horace

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 17:21         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-07 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ivan Kanis wrote:

> OK, I don't follow the list closely. Where is the right place to ask?

The one that Eli gave in his very first reply. But that's for next time,
we can talk about it here now.

What does `bzr --version' print on your machine? If less than 2.5,
please try upgrading.

Does your `bzr branch' run for a time, become idle for 5 minutes, then
disconnect; or does it always disconnect exactly 5 mins after starting,
even while it is doing stuff?

If the former, does adding the following to your ~/.ssh/config help
(probably it does not):

host *.savannah.gnu.org
ServerAliveInterval 60

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 17:34           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-07 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: emacs-devel

PS you currently have two bzr processes running on the server.
One with 15 mins walltime / 5 mins CPU time, the other with 45 mins
walltime and 8 mins CPU time.

So, I cannot see that you are being disconnected after 5mins full stop,
and I guess that your connections do indeed become idle for some reason.

Try running just one at a time.

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-07 19:11         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-07 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:12:05 -0400
>

> PS trying upgrading your bzr client to at least 2.5.

I use 2.6b1, FWIW.

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-10  8:07   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-06-10  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Emacs Development List

June, 07 at 14:30 Andreas wrote:

> If your timeout problem remains you can seed your local repository via
> rsync, which is restartable.
>
> rsync://bzr.sv.gnu.org/bzr/emacs/.bzr/

OK, I have seeded with rsync since I can't do a branch via ssh.

Now when I create a branch of trunk I get an empty directory.

And then it gets surreal. ls -a reports directory empty. rmdir fails
saying the directory is not empty.

I have pasted my session below:

9:55 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
     bzr branch bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
Branched 112908 revisions.
9:55 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
     cd trunk
9:56 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk
     ls -a
9:56 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk
     cd ..
9:56 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
     rmdir trunk
rmdir: failed to remove `trunk': Directory not empty

--
Disks spinning backwards - toggle the hemisphere jumper.
    -- BOFH excuse #32

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-10 15:36     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-10 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr>
> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:07:33 +0200
> Cc: Emacs Development List <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> June, 07 at 14:30 Andreas wrote:
>
> > If your timeout problem remains you can seed your local repository via
> > rsync, which is restartable.
> >
> > rsync://bzr.sv.gnu.org/bzr/emacs/.bzr/
>
> OK, I have seeded with rsync since I can't do a branch via ssh.
>
> Now when I create a branch of trunk I get an empty directory.

Did you create a repository and/or a branch, before or after using
rsync?  If so, what commands did you use?

> And then it gets surreal. ls -a reports directory empty. rmdir fails
> saying the directory is not empty.
>
> I have pasted my session below:
>
> 9:55 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
>      bzr branch bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
> Branched 112908 revisions.
> 9:55 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
>      cd trunk
> 9:56 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk
>      ls -a
> 9:56 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk
>      cd ..
> 9:56 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
>      rmdir trunk
> rmdir: failed to remove `trunk': Directory not empty

What do these commands produce:

  cd trunk
  bzr info

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-11 13:51       ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-06-11 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

June, 10 at 18:36 Eli wrote:

>>> June, 07 at 14:30 Andreas wrote:
>>>
>>> If your timeout problem remains you can seed your local repository via
>>> rsync, which is restartable.
>>
>> Ivan said
>>
>> OK, I have seeded with rsync since I can't do a branch via ssh.
>> Now when I create a branch of trunk I get an empty directory.
>
> Did you create a repository and/or a branch, before or after using
> rsync?  If so, what commands did you use?

I created a branch after using rsync. I put all the data from rsync in a
.bzr directory without doing anything special.

Here is a transcript:

15:46 tao% /ext4
      mkdir emacs-bzr
15:46 tao% /ext4
      cd emacs-bzr
15:46 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
      cp -r ~/tmp/bzr .bzr
15:47 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
      bzr branch bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
Branched 112925 revisions.

> What do these commands produce:
>   cd trunk
>   bzr info

15:48 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk
      bzr info
Repository branch (format: 2a)
Location:
  shared repository: /ext4/emacs-bzr
  repository branch: .

Related branches:
  parent branch: bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/>

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-11 16:02         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-11 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:51:46 +0200
>
> 15:46 tao% /ext4
>       mkdir emacs-bzr
> 15:46 tao% /ext4
>       cd emacs-bzr
> 15:46 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
>       cp -r ~/tmp/bzr .bzr
> 15:47 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
>       bzr branch bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
> Branched 112925 revisions.

Did you take this procedure from some document, and if so, which one?

> >   cd trunk
> >   bzr info
>
> 15:48 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk
>       bzr info
> Repository branch (format: 2a)
> Location:
>   shared repository: /ext4/emacs-bzr
>   repository branch: .
>
> Related branches:
>   parent branch: bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/>

Does it help to invoke

  bzr checkout

from the /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk directory?

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-11 17:13           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-11 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivan; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:02:26 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Does it help to invoke
>
>   bzr checkout
>
> from the /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk directory?

Actually, you might try this first:

  cd /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk
  bzr reconfigure --checkout

* Re: what's the matter with the bzr server?
@ 2013-06-14  9:12           ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-06-14  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

June, 11 at 19:02 Eli wrote:

>> From: Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:51:46 +0200
>>
>> 15:46 tao% /ext4
>>       mkdir emacs-bzr
>> 15:46 tao% /ext4
>>       cd emacs-bzr
>> 15:46 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
>>       cp -r ~/tmp/bzr .bzr
>> 15:47 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr
>>       bzr branch bzr+ssh://ivankanis@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
>> Branched 112925 revisions.
>
> Did you take this procedure from some document, and if so, which one?

The first three commands are what seemed sensible to me. The last one I
got in http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs

>> >   cd trunk
>> >   bzr info
>>
>> 15:48 tao% /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk