* Using epg with gpg-agent
@ 2018-06-17 22:20 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-06-17 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Does anyone know how to make the Emacs encryption commands such as
epa-decrypt-region work with gpg-agent on a text console?
If I start gpg-agent in the usual way before running Emacs,
then when I try to decrypt, gpg-agent and Emacs both try to
read from the terminal so the passphrase always gets garbled.
--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Using epg with gpg-agent
@ 2018-06-18  4:18 ` Matthew Carter
From: Matthew Carter @ 2018-06-18  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Does anyone know how to make the Emacs encryption commands such as
> epa-decrypt-region work with gpg-agent on a text console?
> If I start gpg-agent in the usual way before running Emacs,
> then when I try to decrypt, gpg-agent and Emacs both try to
> read from the terminal so the passphrase always gets garbled.

I use a setup where all my Emacs based decryption (epa) commands are
from the (text/tty Emacs) password input prompt in Emacs, and sent to
gpg-agent.  This works for me over SSH, tty1-6, or in an X session
terminal emulator (no call out to the GUI password input prompt).

More recent versions of Emacs/gpg-agent required me to add the loopback
option, as well as the Emacs options - a couple years ago it worked with
just the allow-emacs-pinentry setting and nothing else:

My relevant settings are as follows:

In ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf:

allow-emacs-pinentry
allow-loopback-pinentry

On the Emacs side:

(setq epa-pinentry-mode 'loopback)
(pinentry-start) ; This was disabled recently in Emacs 26+ and has to be
explicitly called

I know I ran into many garbled text issues when trying to combine
ncurses input on the gpg-agent with Emacs functions.

--
Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
http://ahungry.com

* Re: Using epg with gpg-agent
@ 2018-06-19  2:03 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2018-06-19  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 17/06/2018 18:20 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Does anyone know how to make the Emacs encryption commands such as
> epa-decrypt-region work with gpg-agent on a text console?
> If I start gpg-agent in the usual way before running Emacs,
> then when I try to decrypt, gpg-agent and Emacs both try to
> read from the terminal so the passphrase always gets garbled.

AFAIK, currently (Emacs master, GnuPG 2.2.8) only `(setq
epg-pinentry-mode 'loopback)' should be needed (that's what I have).
So, no explicit configuration in gpg-agent.conf.

Filipp

* Re: Using epg with gpg-agent
@ 2018-06-19 22:57   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-06-19 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipp Gunbin; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for showing me this.  I tried it and discovered that somehow
I have GPG version 1 installed and can't install version 2.  When I get
that installed, I will try your solution again.

--
Dr Richard Stallman