* lsp and Haskell
@ 2020-11-10  9:36 Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2020-11-10  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi.

I recently gave lsp based development a try in Emacs.
As I am doing Haskell, I am using haskell-language-server[1].
It appears to only work nicely with emacs-lsp[2].

Question: Are their ongoing efforts to support HLS with eglot?
While eglot being simple is probably a good thing, I am wondering if
going for simplicity is the best way to get broad IDE support via lsp.

HLS with lsp-haskell does really work pretty nicely.
It supports code actions, which puts a lot of cleanup magic at your
fingertips.  It also does code formatting and of course completion and M-.

I am posting this fully aware that some packages have a hard time
being installable by default in Emacs.  I usually dont care much.
However, in this case, I believe stock Emacs should make it easier to
get IDE support.  I shouldn't need to fiddle with elisp, configuring an
"alternative app store" to get IDE support for $language.
At least that would be my wish.
Besides, something was slightly off when I put melpa into
package-archives.  I managed to install the three packages I needed, but
after I did so, they vanished from the package list.  After a restart of
Emacs, I now have lsp-ui and lsp-haskell marked as installed, but
lsp-mode is marked as "available" but it is installed in
~/.config/emacs/elpa.
I haven't tried to figure out what is going on here.
My point is that having to activate melpa to get IDE support for
$language seems to expose weird behaviour, which only helps to alienate
people who are newcomers trying to use Emacs as an IDE.

As I understand it, we currently require copyright assignment for every
extra package we make available by default.  Putting rules in place is
likely a good idea, but is this one rule really helping Emacs?
It feels a bit harsh.  I totally understand that we require assignments
for everything that goes into core Emacs.  But third party packages?
Really?
If I am not misunderstanding this, what is the actual rationale behind it?

[1] https://github.com/haskell/haskell-language-server
[2] https://github.com/emacs-lsp/
    https://github.com/emacs-lsp/lsp-haskell
--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

* Re: lsp and Haskell
@ 2020-11-10 10:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-11-10 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Mario Lang

On November 10, 2020 11:36:47 AM GMT+02:00, Mario Lang <mlang@blind.guru> wrote:

> As I understand it, we currently require copyright assignment for
> every
> extra package we make available by default.  Putting rules in place is
> likely a good idea, but is this one rule really helping Emacs?
> It feels a bit harsh.  I totally understand that we require
> assignments
> for everything that goes into core Emacs.  But third party packages?
> Really?
> If I am not misunderstanding this, what is the actual rationale behind it?

This issue has been discussed here many times, last time in May this year.  Rather than start yet another thread on the same issue, where people will again reiterate the same views and opinions, could you perhaps read those past discussions, where you will find answers to the copyright assignment questions?

Thanks.

* Re: lsp and Haskell
@ 2020-11-10 12:50 ` Andrii Kolomoiets
From: Andrii Kolomoiets @ 2020-11-10 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang; +Cc: emacs-devel

Mario Lang <mlang@blind.guru> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I recently gave lsp based development a try in Emacs.
> As I am doing Haskell, I am using haskell-language-server[1].
> It appears to only work nicely with emacs-lsp[2].
>
> Question: Are their ongoing efforts to support HLS with eglot?
> [1] https://github.com/haskell/haskell-language-server

Support for haskell-ide-engine was added to Eglot about two years ago:
https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/pull/49

haskell-ide-engine is now archived in favour of haskell-language-server:
https://github.com/haskell/haskell-language-server/issues/473

Can you please file an issue in Eglot repo to update the command used to
start haskell language server?

* Re: lsp and Haskell
@ 2020-11-10 13:39 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-11-10 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I recently gave lsp based development a try in Emacs.
> As I am doing Haskell, I am using haskell-language-server[1].
> It appears to only work nicely with emacs-lsp[2].

I see two questions here.

The first is about using haskell-language-server with eglot.
For that, please file a bug report / feature request.

The second is about copyright assignment for GNU ELPA and I believe this
has been resolved (in principle only, so far) with the decision to setup
NonGNU ELPA, but this hasn't been concretized yet (in part because I've
been swamped with other things in the mean time and in part because
I was hoping other people would take a crack at it).

* Re: lsp and Haskell
@ 2020-11-10 13:55   ` Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2020-11-10 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I see two questions here.

[...]

> The second is about copyright assignment for GNU ELPA and I believe this
> has been resolved (in principle only, so far) with the decision to setup
> NonGNU ELPA, but this hasn't been concretized yet (in part because I've
> been swamped with other things in the mean time and in part because
> I was hoping other people would take a crack at it).

Thanks for this concise answer.  So there is no need to reiterate
old arguments as Eli has suggested.  What I was looking for is
apparently already planned, great!

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕