* gnus/nnimap: Search broke again?
@ 2021-02-04 16:27 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-02-04 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 294 bytes --]

As of today, (emacs built yesterday) nnimap search fails with 0 hits
for imap/gmail queries like after:2021/30/01 from:rms

Did something change again?
Could we have some tests in place so the nnimap search api doesn't regress?

--Raman
7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: gnus/nnimap: Search broke again?
@ 2021-02-04 17:48 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-02-04 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> As of today, (emacs built yesterday) nnimap search fails with 0 hits
> for imap/gmail queries like after:2021/30/01 from:rms
>
> Did something change again?

Probably my fault (conversion to lexical-binding).
Any chance you can provide a backtrace of something (I see you don't
actually get an error, so it might prove tricky, but maybe by setting
`debug-on-signal` [he said, unconvinced])?

* Re: gnus/nnimap: Search broke again?
@ 2021-02-04 17:50   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-02-04 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

No debug / backtrace -- just get "no results" or similar message.

--
♉Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮♉

--
♉Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮♉

* Re: gnus/nnimap: Search broke again?
@ 2021-02-04 19:05   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-02-04 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 734 bytes --]

I added a couple of cl-declare special to my nnimap gmail searcher and
it's now returning results
https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak/blob/master/lisp/gm-nnir.el#L134

@ 2021-02-05  3:45     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-02-05  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> No debug / backtrace -- just get "no results" or similar message.

Errors get swallowed by `nnselect-run'. I'd really like to get rid of
that to let errors propagate, or at least switch it to
`condition-case-unless-debug'.

* Re: gnus/nnimap: Search broke again?
@ 2021-02-08 23:05     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-02-08 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I added a couple of cl-declare special to my nnimap gmail searcher and
> it's now returning results
> https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak/blob/master/lisp/gm-nnir.el#L134

So you're saying this change on your side fixes the problem for you?

I don't understand: this `gm-nnir` is not part of the code I converted
to lexical-binding.  The change your URL points seems to fix a problem
in your code, indeed, but I can't see why this problem would have
appeared at the same time as my changes.

I do notice something odd also in that change of yours: why do you
`cl-declare` as a special var `gnus-group-group-name` which is
a function (and which you indeed don't use as a variable either)?

* Re: gnus/nnimap: Search broke again?
@ 2021-02-09  2:49       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-02-09  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 1092 bytes --]

I might well have been confused, not sure. Thanks for pointing out that
I declared a function name as a special -- that must have been  me
getting very confused.

For whatever reason though the bug has now disappeared.>> I added a couple of cl-declare special to my nnimap gmail searcher and

@ 2021-02-09 15:17         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-02-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I might well have been confused, not sure. Thanks for pointing out that
> I declared a function name as a special -- that must have been  me
> getting very confused.
>
> For whatever reason though the bug has now disappeared.

Good, thanks.  Let's hope it's gone for good,