* New PROBLEMS entry (bug#51760)
       [not found] <87ee7lppjy.fsf.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2021-11-12 11:43 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-11-12 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

fcitx doesn't work with xwidgets for some reason beyond my comprehension
(see bug#51760).  IBus and other X input methods work fine, FWIW.

So I'd like to add the following entry to etc/PROBLEMS, under
"Internationalization problems":

** fcitx input methods don't work with xwidgets.

fcitx-based input methods might not work when xwidgets are displayed,
such as inside an xwidget-webkit buffer.  This manifests as the pre-edit
window of the input method disappearing, and the Emacs frame losing
input focus as soon as you try to type anything.  You can work around
this problem by switching to IBus, or by using a native Emacs input
method and disabling XIM altogether.  For example, you can add the
following line:

    Emacs.useXIM: false

In your ~/.Xresources file, then run

    $ xrdb

And restart Emacs.

WDYT about this?  Thanks in advance.

* Re: New PROBLEMS entry (bug#51760)
@ 2021-11-12 12:08   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-12 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 19:43:29 +0800
>
> ** fcitx input methods don't work with xwidgets.
>
> fcitx-based input methods might not work when xwidgets are displayed,
> such as inside an xwidget-webkit buffer.  This manifests as the pre-edit
> window of the input method disappearing, and the Emacs frame losing
> input focus as soon as you try to type anything.  You can work around
> this problem by switching to IBus, or by using a native Emacs input
> method and disabling XIM altogether.  For example, you can add the
> following line:
>
>     Emacs.useXIM: false
>
> In your ~/.Xresources file, then run
>
>     $ xrdb
>
> And restart Emacs.
>
> WDYT about this?  Thanks in advance.

SGTM, thanks.

Does this happen on the emacs-28 branch as well?  If so, please
install the change on the emacs-28 branch.

* Re: New PROBLEMS entry (bug#51760)
@ 2021-11-12 12:14     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-11-12 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> SGTM, thanks.

> Does this happen on the emacs-28 branch as well?  If so, please
> install the change on the emacs-28 branch.

No, input methods there don't work at all.  I'll install it on master.