* ispell and (lookup-words ...)
@ 2005-03-07 22:06 Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2005-03-07 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

in CVS emacs-ispell's lookup-words function is doing a grep on
/usr/dict/words.

On my very up to date debian (testing) machine I don't have a
/usr/dict/words file. I don't even have a words file. I seem to have
lots of hash files but no textual words file.

Is this a bug with debian or with emacs-ispell?

Nic

* Re: ispell and (lookup-words ...)
@ 2005-03-07 22:56 ` chad brown
From: chad brown @ 2005-03-07 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

If you don't even have a /usr/share/dict/words file, then I'd say that
Debian has evolved out from under emacs-ispell -- most systems I use
still have such (although mostly under the just-mentioned path).

*chad

On 7 Mar, 2005, at 17:06, Nic Ferrier wrote:

> in CVS emacs-ispell's lookup-words function is doing a grep on
> /usr/dict/words.
>
> On my very up to date debian (testing) machine I don't have a
> /usr/dict/words file. I don't even have a words file. I seem to have
> lots of hash files but no textual words file.
>
> Is this a bug with debian or with emacs-ispell?
>

> Nic

* Re: ispell and (lookup-words ...)
@ 2005-03-07 22:57   ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2005-03-07 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

chad brown <y@MIT.EDU> writes:

> If you don't even have a /usr/share/dict/words file, then I'd say that
> Debian has evolved out from under emacs-ispell -- most systems I use
> still have such (although mostly under the just-mentioned path).

That seems a shame since lookup-words is used in ispell-complete.

I can't see anything in ispell that would allow for completion.

Nic

* Re: ispell and (lookup-words ...)
@ 2005-03-08  0:50     ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2005-03-08  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: chad brown, emacs-devel

Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:

> chad brown <y@MIT.EDU> writes:
>
>> If you don't even have a /usr/share/dict/words file, then I'd say that
>> Debian has evolved out from under emacs-ispell -- most systems I use
>> still have such (although mostly under the just-mentioned path).
>
> That seems a shame since lookup-words is used in ispell-complete.
>
> I can't see anything in ispell that would allow for completion.

Try installing wamerican or wamerican-large (or wbritish etc.).
That's the package that provided /usr/share/dict/words on my Debian
unstable system.

Jason