* You should not have installed that change!
@ 2005-03-31 18:21 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-03-31 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Why did you install the first version of your proposed change, when I
had already said not to install it, that I wanted it done differently?

Please make and install the corrections that I asked for
without delay.

From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
To: ttn@glug.org
Subject: Re: Possible change to startup.el
bcc: rms-outgoing@gnu.org
	<E1DFOpU-00008h-Hr@fencepost.gnu.org> <87is3dkqs5.fsf@jurta.org> <E1DG36z-00056M-6t@fencepost.gnu.org> <E1DGNBg-0008IB-00@surf.glug.org>
--text follows this line--
I don't want to add a redundant extra line at the front of each
tutorial file.  Instead, please use the text before the first period.
That will do the right thing in TUTORIAL.de, TUTORIAL.fr, maybe more.

Those TUTORIAL.* files that don't have the right text before the first
period should be edited so that they do have the right text
before the first period.  If the file starts with a longer sentence,
please get rid of the extra stuff in that sentence.  If the file
does not start with any such sentence, then please add one.

Would you please redo it with that change?

* Re: You should not have installed that change!
@ 2005-03-31 18:45 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-03-31 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
   Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:21:56 -0500

   Why did you install the first version of your proposed change,
   when I had already said not to install it, that I wanted it
   done differently?

i got flustered when i saw Marcelo's message to the translators,
and installed the changes to the TUTORIAL files thinking that they
might simply review the changes and make further changes, instead
of having to come up w/ the change themselves (classic premature
optimization, sigh).  this was before i was aware of your other
message.

the related change to help-fns.el i already reverted.

   Please make and install the corrections that I asked for
   without delay.

i have already posted a revised revision for your review (perhaps
you haven't seen it yet).  feel free to modify it and check it in
yourself, otherwise i will wait for your confirmation and/or
further corrections.

thi

* Re: You should not have installed that change!
@ 2005-03-31 18:49 ` Marcelo Toledo
From: Marcelo Toledo @ 2005-03-31 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Why did you install the first version of your proposed change, when I
> had already said not to install it, that I wanted it done differently?
>
> Please make and install the corrections that I asked for
> without delay.

looks like he noted this and fixed already. Is it installed yet Thien?

>>   From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>>   Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:43:07 -0500
>>
>>   We could make that a general rule: every tutorial translation must
>>   start with a sentence that translates "Emacs tutorial".
>>
>> sorry, i misunderstood this simple sentence and implemented the wrong
>> thing (gotta slow down sometimes and be more careful).  please find
>> below a revised patch that uses the first sentence of the file as the
>> text for the splash screen.  unfortunately, i prematurely committed
>> changes to the actual TUTORIAL files due to concerns that translators
>> might not see the proposed changes.  i think it's best that i stick w/
>> the code and let Marcelo and others handle updates to those files. :-(
>>
>> thi
>>
>> !                 (with-temp-buffer
>> !                   (insert-file-contents tut nil 0 80)
>> !                   (search-forward ".")
>> !                   (buffer-substring (point-min) (point))))

> I don't want to add a redundant extra line at the front of each
> tutorial file.  Instead, please use the text before the first period.
> That will do the right thing in TUTORIAL.de, TUTORIAL.fr, maybe more.
>
> Those TUTORIAL.* files that don't have the right text before the first
> period should be edited so that they do have the right text
> before the first period.  If the file starts with a longer sentence,
> please get rid of the extra stuff in that sentence.  If the file
> does not start with any such sentence, then please add one.

I will modify the tutorials accordingly with that change.
--
Marcelo Toledo
marcelo@marcelotoledo.org