* Emacs Hack Night in San Francisco next week; suggestions?
@ 2016-02-27  9:16 John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-02-27  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Next Saturday evening I'll be at an "Emacs Hack Night" in San Francisco
(details below). The objective of the evening will be to get more people
looking the bugs from our tracker, and maybe even to start tackling a few of
them then and there.

For those of you who have been diligently herding bugs, are there areas we
should focus on that you haven't gotten to yet? I'm not sure in what order
Lars, Andrew, Eli and others have been looking at our old bugs. I suppose we
can just look at the "last responded to" time and base our attention there.

But if anyone has suggestions for fruitful areas of focus, please let me know!

http://www.meetup.com/Emacs-SF/events/229160319/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Emacs Hack Night in San Francisco next week; suggestions?
@ 2016-02-27 10:54 ` Michael Albinus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Albinus @ 2016-02-27 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ohn Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

> For those of you who have been diligently herding bugs, are there areas we
> should focus on that you haven't gotten to yet? I'm not sure in what order
> Lars, Andrew, Eli and others have been looking at our old bugs. I suppose we
> can just look at the "last responded to" time and base our attention there.

debbugs-gnu marks bugs nobody has responded ever in red. Don't know
whether they shall be prioritized high or low for your Hackfest.

> But if anyone has suggestions for fruitful areas of focus, please let me know!
>
> http://www.meetup.com/Emacs-SF/events/229160319/

If you want to point to debbugs-gnu and need some help or preparation,
let me know.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Emacs Hack Night in San Francisco next week; suggestions?
@ 2016-02-27 12:37 ` Anders Lindgren
From: Anders Lindgren @ 2016-02-27 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley, emacs-devel

> But if anyone has suggestions for fruitful areas of focus, please let me
> know!

Just the other day I put together a wish list for things to do in the NS
(OS X) interface, see `nextstep/WISHLIST'. It's a mix of bugs and new
features. As we all know, there is a shortage of people working on the NS
port, even though the user base is huge. However, this could be a good
opportunity to make people aware that there is an opportunity to
contribute. The NS port use the Cocoa API, which is the native OS X and iOS
interface.

Unfortunately, I can't participate myself as I'm based in Europe.

Sincerely,
    Anders Lindgren

* Re: Emacs Hack Night in San Francisco next week; suggestions?
@ 2016-02-27 19:53 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-02-27 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Next Saturday evening I'll be at an "Emacs Hack Night" in San Francisco
  > (details below).

This is really good.  I will suggest to the FSF staff to announce it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Emacs Hack Night in San Francisco next week; suggestions?
@ 2016-02-27 22:49   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-02-27 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

> If you want to point to debbugs-gnu and need some help or preparation, let
> me know.

Yes, I would love to.  What would be the best HOWTO for complete newbies to
that process, with respect to Emacs?

* Re: Emacs Hack Night in San Francisco next week; suggestions?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-28  3:39 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-28  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

> For those of you who have been diligently herding bugs, are there areas we
> should focus on that you haven't gotten to yet? I'm not sure in what order
> Lars, Andrew, Eli and others have been looking at our old bugs. I suppose we
> can just look at the "last responded to" time and base our attention there.

I've mainly been going through everything marked as "patch" and seeing
whether I could understand the proposed code, and applying whatever
seems straightforward, and asking questions about the ones that seem
more complicated.

I'm not quite done yet, though.  I think I've got the 40 (or so) oldest
ones still to trundle through...  :-)

* Re: Emacs Hack Night in San Francisco next week; suggestions?
@ 2016-02-28  9:26   ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2016-02-28  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> But if anyone has suggestions for fruitful areas of focus, please
>> let me know!

> Just the other day I put together a wish list for things to do in
> the NS (OS X) interface, see `nextstep/WISHLIST'.

The items seem to be moved to etc/TODO.  Among them, I have some
experimental early development code for xwidget_mvp (namely,
WebKit-only xwidget) on OS X, created on top of the Mac port of
course.  Unfortunately, it soon becomes sluggish and unusable.  I
guess this is because the current xwidget code create a view object on
every x_draw_xwidget_glyph_string call (see also
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01/msg01448.html).

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: Emacs Hack Night in San Francisco next week; suggestions?
@ 2016-02-28 10:02     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2016-02-28 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

Hi John,

>> If you want to point to debbugs-gnu and need some help or preparation, let
>> me know.
>
> Yes, I would love to.  What would be the best HOWTO for complete newbies to
> that process, with respect to Emacs?

There's a Debbugs User Guide, bundled in the ELPA package. But this
might be too long. The best HOWTO seems to be the Commentary section in
debbugs-gnu.el.

admin/notes/bug-triage gives also some hints, but it's not a
comprehensive HOWTO.

Ping me, if you you believe it isn't sufficient, and you need more
contributions.

Best regards, Michael.