* Re: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column indicators
       [not found] ` <20200915151625.7E46E20B7A@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2020-09-15 15:32   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-09-15 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen

    Lars> +the column number format (when 'column-number-mode') is on.  These are
    Lars> +also used if both modes are on, which leads to the default in that
    Lars> +case going from "(5,9)" to "(L5,C9)".

Uhm, what? Is that really what we want to use our precious mode-line
space for? (working out which is which if youʼre unsure is easy, you
just move point and see which one changes).

Robert

* Re: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column indicators
@ 2020-09-15 15:43     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-09-15 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Uhm, what? Is that really what we want to use our precious mode-line
> space for? (working out which is which if youʼre unsure is easy, you
> just move point and see which one changes).

By default, column number mode isn't switched on.  Shortening it is a
just an `M-x customize' away.

* RE: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column indicators
@ 2020-09-15 15:48     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-09-15 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim, emacs-devel; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen

>     Lars> +the column number format (when 'column-number-mode') is on.  These are
>     Lars> +also used if both modes are on, which leads to the default in that
>     Lars> +case going from "(5,9)" to "(L5,C9)".
>
> Uhm, what? Is that really what we want to use our precious mode-line
> space for? (working out which is which if youʼre unsure is easy, you
> just move point and see which one changes).

FWIW, library `modeline-posn.el' adds some possibilities
for variable `mode-line-position'.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ModeLinePosition

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/modeline-posn.el

* Re: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column indicators
@ 2020-09-15 15:53       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-09-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Lars> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    >> Uhm, what? Is that really what we want to use our precious mode-line
    >> space for? (working out which is which if youʼre unsure is easy, you
    >> just move point and see which one changes).

    Lars> By default, column number mode isn't switched on.  Shortening it is a
    Lars> just an `M-x customize' away.

column number mode should be switched on by default. And we shouldn't
show these L,C monstrosities. Get off my lawn!

Robert

* Re: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column indicators
@ 2020-09-16 19:59     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2020-09-16 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

>     Lars> +the column number format (when 'column-number-mode') is on.  These are
>     Lars> +also used if both modes are on, which leads to the default in that
>     Lars> +case going from "(5,9)" to "(L5,C9)".
>
> Uhm, what? Is that really what we want to use our precious mode-line
> space for? (working out which is which if youʼre unsure is easy, you
> just move point and see which one changes).

I don't care about the default value as long as there is a way
to revert it back in the init file.  But currently customization
of mode-line-position-column-format and mode-line-position-line-format
back to "%c" and "%l" has no effect.

* Re: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column indicators
@ 2020-09-17 12:41       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-09-17 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Robert Pluim, emacs-devel

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

> I don't care about the default value as long as there is a way
> to revert it back in the init file.  But currently customization
> of mode-line-position-column-format and mode-line-position-line-format
> back to "%c" and "%l" has no effect.

D'oh.  I was thinking it was OK to require the user to set those
variables before loading the file mode-line-position is defined in, but
that file is preloaded in Emacs.  :-/

OK, so this needs a rethink...  mode-line-position precomputes some bits
presumably because it doesn't want to create a lot of garbage from the
`propertize' calls...  Hm...  OK, I think I see how to be make as little
garbage as before, but allow those variables to be taken into account
dynamically.

It'll even make the code shorter, I think.

* Re: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column indicators
@ 2020-09-17 14:11       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-09-17 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Robert Pluim, emacs-devel

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

> I don't care about the default value as long as there is a way
> to revert it back in the init file.  But currently customization
> of mode-line-position-column-format and mode-line-position-line-format
> back to "%c" and "%l" has no effect.

I think I've got all the combinations right here now...

And I've obsoleted column-number-indicator-zero-based, since you can
just alter the format specs instead.  (But it's still respected now, of
course.)

* Re: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column indicators
@ 2020-09-20 19:12         ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2020-09-20 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Robert Pluim, emacs-devel

>> I don't care about the default value as long as there is a way
>> to revert it back in the init file.  But currently customization
>> of mode-line-position-column-format and mode-line-position-line-format
>> back to "%c" and "%l" has no effect.
>
> I think I've got all the combinations right here now...

Thanks.  I noticed another problem: the column/line format string
is not fixed-length anymore.  So when its length changes from e.g.
"(9,9)" to "(10,10)", the rest of the mode-line is shifted to the right,
and jumps right/left all the time when the cursor moves in the buffer.
This is a regression.  The mode-line was not so jumpy before,
the format string "  (%l, %c)  " was always the same fixed length.

* Re: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column indicators
@ 2020-09-20 19:44           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-09-20 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Robert Pluim, emacs-devel

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

> Thanks.  I noticed another problem: the column/line format string
> is not fixed-length anymore.  So when its length changes from e.g.
> "(9,9)" to "(10,10)", the rest of the mode-line is shifted to the right,
> and jumps right/left all the time when the cursor moves in the buffer.
> This is a regression.  The mode-line was not so jumpy before,
> the format string "  (%l, %c)  " was always the same fixed length.

Yup.  I misunderstood what (-6 "...") meant -- it's max width, not min
width.  But (6 "...") is not, confusingly enough, not max width in the
context of a :propertize?  *scratches head*

I've now restored the min-width elements of these two elements on the
trunk.