* add make deb to the makefiles?
@ 2022-05-03  6:09 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-05-03  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

I am more or less compiling and installing Emacs (from git).

I know that the Makefile has a uninstall option and I am installing
everything in /opt/emacsX

However I still prefer to generate a Debian pkg, since it allows me to
access the installed emacs via Debian pkg.

For this is use checkinstall and (auto-apt, auto-apt however has been
removed in more recent versions of Debian/Ubuntu).

On the other hand mercurial provides a deb target in its Makefile (which
looks also a bit complicated).

Does anybody (Users of Debian/Ubuntu) generate a deb when compiling
emacs from git.

Would he/she mind to share the configure file.

Wouldn't it a good idea if the official Makefile also contains a deb
target?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.

* Re: add make deb to the makefiles?
@ 2022-05-07 17:32 ` Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2022-05-07 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer, emacs-devel

Hello,

On Tue 03 May 2022 at 08:09am +02, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Hi
>

> I am more or less compiling and installing Emacs (from git).
>
> I know that the Makefile has a uninstall option and I am installing
> everything in /opt/emacsX
>
> However I still prefer to generate a Debian pkg, since it allows me to
> access the installed emacs via Debian pkg.
>
> For this is use checkinstall and (auto-apt, auto-apt however has been
> removed in more recent versions of Debian/Ubuntu).
>
> On the other hand mercurial provides a deb target in its Makefile (which
> looks also a bit complicated).
>
> Does anybody (Users of Debian/Ubuntu) generate a deb when compiling
> emacs from git.
>
> Would he/she mind to share the configure file.

I have a somewhat complicated debian/ in the 'athena/unstable' branch of
git.spwhitton.name/emacs.

--
Sean Whitton

* Re: add make deb to the makefiles?