* pcl-cvs does not work
@ 2005-03-10 18:59 Damien Cassou
From: Damien Cassou @ 2005-03-10 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've just downloaded Emacs from tla and pcl-cvs does not work anymore.
Here is what I did to compile Emacs :

tla register-archive http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2005
~        tla get miles@gnu.org--gnu-2005/emacs--cvs-trunk--0 emacs-cvs
~        cd emacs-cvs
~        ./configure
~        make bootstrap
~        src/emacs -q

When I try cvs from emacs (C-x cvs-update), I have an error message :

Repository : :ext:cassou@ssh.enseirb.fr:/net/i1/cassou/cvs
Module     : projet_pro
Working dir: ~/Documents/projects/projet_pro/

Message: Unknown command: `'
Message:
Message: CVS commands are:
Message:         add          Add a new file/directory to the repository
Message:         admin        Administration front end for rcs
Message:         annotate     Show last revision where each line was
modified
Message:         checkout     Checkout sources for editing
Message:         commit       Check files into the repository
Message:         diff         Show differences between revisions
Message:         edit         Get ready to edit a watched file
Message:         editors      See who is editing a watched file
Message:         export       Export sources from CVS, similar to checkout
Message:         history      Show repository access history
Message:         import       Import sources into CVS, using vendor branches
Message:         init         Create a CVS repository if it doesn't exist
Message:         log          Print out history information for files
Message:         login        Prompt for password for authenticating server
Message:         logout       Removes entry in .cvspass for remote
repository
Message:         ls           List files available from CVS
Message:         pserver      Password server mode
Message:         rannotate    Show last revision where each line of
module was modified
Message:         rdiff        Create 'patch' format diffs between releases
Message:         release      Indicate that a Module is no longer in use
Message:         remove       Remove an entry from the repository
Message:         rlog         Print out history information for a module
Message:         rls          List files in a module
Message:         rtag         Add a symbolic tag to a module
Message:         server       Server mode
Message:         status       Display status information on checked out
files
Message:         tag          Add a symbolic tag to checked out version
of files
Message:         unedit       Undo an edit command
Message:         update       Bring work tree in sync with repository
Message:         version      Show current CVS version(s)
Message:         watch        Set watches
Message:         watchers     See who is watching a file
Message: (Specify the --help option for a list of other help options)

- --------------------- Empty ---------------------
- -- last cmd: cvs -f -z4  update -dP --

Can someone help me with this bug ?

Thanks

- --
Damien

* Re: pcl-cvs does not work
@ 2005-03-12 12:51 ` Damien Cassou
From: Damien Cassou @ 2005-03-12 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nobody seems to be interested by my problem... it is strange. Do you
have the same bug or am I the only one.

I'm running a Debian Sid on my Athlon 1.4Ghz if you want to know...

* Re: pcl-cvs does not work
@ 2005-03-12 14:23   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-12 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Nobody seems to be interested by my problem... it is strange. Do you have
> the same bug or am I the only one.

> I'm running a Debian Sid on my Athlon 1.4Ghz if you want to know...

I use pcl-cvs every day, and it works just fine.
Have you tried to use `cvs' directly?  My guess is that it will burp in the
exact same way.

* Re: pcl-cvs does not work
@ 2005-03-12 14:38     ` Damien Cassou
From: Damien Cassou @ 2005-03-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

* Re: pcl-cvs does not work
@ 2005-03-12 15:24       ` Adrian Aichner
       [not found]         ` <42330F2D.8030409@laposte.net>
From: Adrian Aichner @ 2005-03-12 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Damien Cassou <damien.cassou@laposte.net> writes:

--
Adrian Aichner
 mailto:adrian@xemacs.org

* Re: pcl-cvs does not work
       [not found]         ` <42330F2D.8030409@laposte.net>
@ 2005-03-12 17:29           ` Adrian Aichner
From: Adrian Aichner @ 2005-03-12 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Damien Cassou <damien.cassou@laposte.net> writes:

>>> Hi Damien, try finding a pcl-cvs working buffer with
>>> M-x s w i t c h - t o - b u f f e r RET SPC * c v s - t m p TAB
>>> and see whethter it's contents look correct.
>>> If not, that would be a starting point for the debugging.

Damien, please don't send private email, let's keep this on
gmane.emacs.devel.

> The content I have cut and paste in my first message is the content of the
> *cvs-tmp* buffer.

Sorry, I missed that.

> Here is the same :
>
> Unknown command: `'

This just means that the cvs command was not correctly issued.

It's what you get when doing:

cvs ""

Hopefully someone familiar with cvs emacs can help.

Best regards,

Adrian

@ 2005-03-12 22:10 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-12 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I've just downloaded Emacs from tla and pcl-cvs does not work anymore.

I'm at a loss what might be happening.
I'd suggest you write a script that saves all the args and env into some
file, and set cvs-program to point to it, then try pcl-cvs again and check
the content of that file.
E.g.:

        % cat cvs-test
        #!/bin/sh