* ChangeLog problems
@ 2005-05-14 16:50 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-05-14 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since the latest changelog entry for the synching with Tramp, I got
problems with the ChangeLog.  I am not sure what to do about them:

These default coding systems were tried to encode text
in the buffer `ChangeLog<lisp>':
  iso-2022-7bit-unix iso-latin-1
However, each of them encountered these problematic characters:
  iso-2022-7bit-unix:
  iso-latin-1:
The first problematic character is at point in the displayed buffer,
and C-u C-x = will give information about it.

Select one of the following safe coding systems, or edit the buffer:
  utf-8 utf-16 utf-16 utf-16 utf-16be utf-16le
Or specify any other coding system
at the risk of losing the problematic characters.

* Re: ChangeLog problems
@ 2005-05-14 17:42 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2005-05-14 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu> writes:

> Since the latest changelog entry for the synching with Tramp, I got
> problems with the ChangeLog.  I am not sure what to do about them:

[...]

This entry was inserted by me. Locally, I don't use any coding system,
so the local setting from the file (iso-2022-7bit) should be active.
No problems here.

Maybe the following line by my entry could be the problem:

	`buffer-auto-save-file-name' to ?\600 as fallback solution.

You could try to remove this line, and see whether the problem
disappears? If yes, I will modify the string.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ChangeLog problems
@ 2005-05-14 18:14   ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-05-14 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Albinus wrote:

   Maybe the following line by my entry could be the problem:

	   `buffer-auto-save-file-name' to ?\600 as fallback solution.

No, it is caused by the accented e's:

insertion (`expand-file' and alike).  Reported by Fr	d	ric Bothamy

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: ChangeLog problems
@ 2005-05-14 18:20   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-05-14 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Luc Teirlinck, emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 829 bytes --]

> Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu> writes:
>
>> Since the latest changelog entry for the synching with Tramp, I got
>> problems with the ChangeLog.  I am not sure what to do about them:
>
> [...]
>
> This entry was inserted by me. Locally, I don't use any coding system,
> so the local setting from the file (iso-2022-7bit) should be active.
> No problems here.

You've entered two latin-1 encoded characters here:

	insertion (`expand-file' and alike).  Reported by Frédéric Bothamy

I've fixed that now.

Andreas.

* Re: ChangeLog problems
@ 2005-05-14 19:13     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2005-05-14 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Luc Teirlinck, emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu> writes:
>>
>>> Since the latest changelog entry for the synching with Tramp, I got
>>> problems with the ChangeLog.  I am not sure what to do about them:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> This entry was inserted by me. Locally, I don't use any coding system,
>> so the local setting from the file (iso-2022-7bit) should be active.
>> No problems here.
>
> You've entered two latin-1 encoded characters here:
>
> 	insertion (`expand-file' and alike).  Reported by Frédéric Bothamy
>
> I've fixed that now.

Thanks a lot! I should switch to iso-2022-7bit permanently.

> Andreas.

Best regards, Michael.