* Re: Finding packages to enable by default
@ 2014-06-22  7:50 Tak Kunihiro
From: Tak Kunihiro @ 2014-06-22  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri; +Cc: emacs-devel

 >>> | winner-mode                                      |      35 |
 >>
 >> If we can come up with good keybindings, then we can indeed enable it
 >> by default.
 >
 >`C-x C-left' switches to the previous buffer, so similarly
 >`C-x M-left' could switch to the previous window configuration.
 >
 >Also in browser's UI `M-left' switches to the previous page
 >(roughly corresponding to the window configuration).

When point is on a window with buffer that cannot be edited, many
modes such like dired make `q' close the window.  The winner-dwim does
similar regardless where the point is.  Thus I propose `C-x q' or
`C-q' although they are taken.

* Re: Finding packages to enable by default
@ 2014-06-22 23:09 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2014-06-22 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tak Kunihiro; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> If we can come up with good keybindings, then we can indeed enable it
>>> by default.
>>
>>`C-x C-left' switches to the previous buffer, so similarly
>>`C-x M-left' could switch to the previous window configuration.
>>
>>Also in browser's UI `M-left' switches to the previous page
>>(roughly corresponding to the window configuration).
>
> When point is on a window with buffer that cannot be edited, many
> modes such like dired make `q' close the window.  The winner-dwim does
> similar regardless where the point is.  Thus I propose `C-x q' or
> `C-q' although they are taken.

I suppose you mean using `C-x q' to quit window, and `C-u C-x q'
to "un-quit", but with bindings to `winner-undo' and `winner-redo'.
In bug#13167 we considered binding `C-x q' to `quit-window' itself
because `winner-undo' is quite different from `quit-window' that
doesn't not necessarily restore the previous window configuration,
so `winner-undo' and `quit-window' require different key bindings.

* Re: Finding packages to enable by default
@ 2014-06-23 12:43   ` Tak Kunihiro
From: Tak Kunihiro @ 2014-06-23 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>>`C-x C-left' switches to the previous buffer, so similarly
>>>`C-x M-left' could switch to the previous window configuration.
>>>
>>>Also in browser's UI `M-left' switches to the previous page
>>>(roughly corresponding to the window configuration).
>>
>> When point is on a window with buffer that cannot be edited, many
>> modes such like dired make `q' close the window.  The winner-dwim does
>> similar regardless where the point is.  Thus I propose `C-x q' or
>> `C-q' although they are taken.
>
> I suppose you mean using `C-x q' to quit window, and `C-u C-x q'
> to "un-quit", but with bindings to `winner-undo' and `winner-redo'.
> In bug#13167 we considered binding `C-x q' to `quit-window' itself
> because `winner-undo' is quite different from `quit-window' that
> doesn't not necessarily restore the previous window configuration,
> so `winner-undo' and `quit-window' require different key bindings.

Thank you to scoop what I meant.

How about `C-x C-_' or `C-x _' for "winner-undo" analogous to `C-_'
for "undo"?

I think that `C-x C-0' for "text-scale-adjust" has a nice interface
that accepts `+' or `-' after initiation.  Analogous to that, after
initiation, `_' or `-' can be assigned to "winner-undo" and `=' or `+'
for "winner-undo".

* Re: Finding packages to enable by default
@ 2014-06-24 23:10     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2014-06-24 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tak Kunihiro; +Cc: emacs-devel

> How about `C-x C-_' or `C-x _' for "winner-undo" analogous to `C-_'
> for "undo"?
>
> I think that `C-x C-0' for "text-scale-adjust" has a nice interface
> that accepts `+' or `-' after initiation.  Analogous to that, after
> initiation, `_' or `-' can be assigned to "winner-undo" and `=' or `+'
> for "winner-undo".

This makes sense.  But there is no intuitive key for "redo" to bind to
`winner-redo'.  Or maybe `C-x C-_' should support both `winner-undo'
and `winner-redo' like `C-_' uses a non-undo command to break
the sequence of undo commands.

OTOH, when using the key `C-x M-left' we could display two buttons in
the toolbar with arrows representing visually the meaning of `C-x M-left'
with the left arrow to go to the previous window configuration, and the
right arrow to go to the next window configuration.

* Re: Finding packages to enable by default (winner)
@ 2014-06-29 23:06       ` Tak Kunihiro
From: Tak Kunihiro @ 2014-06-29 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> How about `C-x C-_' or `C-x _' for "winner-undo" analogous to `C-_'
>> for "undo"?
>
> This makes sense.  But there is no intuitive key for "redo" to bind to
> `winner-redo'.  Or maybe `C-x C-_' should support both `winner-undo'
> and `winner-redo' like `C-_' uses a non-undo command to break
> the sequence of undo commands.

After non-undo command, `undo' offers multiple `redo'.  However,
`winner-redo' works once at most.  Thus they behave slightly
differently.

How about to assign `winner-dwim' to "C-x C-_"?  Hit "C-x C-_" to
call `winner-undo' and "C-u C-x C-_" to call `winner-redo'.

* Re: Finding packages to enable by default (winner)
@ 2014-07-02 19:56         ` raman
From: raman @ 2014-07-02 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tak Kunihiro; +Cc: juri, emacs-devel

While on this topic -- eudc has been broken for a *long* time --
reported it here a while back. We should at least unbundle it to
minimize the surprize -- basically  the eudc code is incompatible with
the default ldapsearch that ships in most / all distros.