* ELPA: New package: nano-modeline
@ 2021-10-06  9:35 Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2021-10-06  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear all,

I would like to submit a new package to ELPA which is an adaptive
modeline (depending on major-mode) that can go on top
(header-line) or bottom (mode-line). It makes use of dedicated
faces for active / inactive states.

The project is hosted at https://github.com/rougier/nano-modeline
and the
README displays what it looks like.

Best,
Nicolas

* Re: ELPA: New package: nano-modeline
@ 2021-10-06 15:38 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-06 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria); +Cc: emacs-devel

"Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:

> Dear all,

Hi again,

> I would like to submit a new package to ELPA which is an adaptive
> modeline (depending on major-mode) that can go on top (header-line) or
> bottom (mode-line). It makes use of dedicated faces for active /
> inactive states.
>
> The project is hosted at https://github.com/rougier/nano-modeline and
> the
> README displays what it looks like.

Are you sure you want to call

    (nano-modeline)

when loading the package? Also, wouldn't it make sense to provide the
functionality in terms of a (global) minor mode, the user can activate
or deactivate?

Also, some functions (e.g. nano-modeline-compose) seem to have
indentation issues.

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: ELPA: New package: nano-modeline
@ 2021-10-06 15:42   ` Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2021-10-06 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Are you sure you want to call
>
>     (nano-modeline)

Not at all, I can remove the autoload.

> when loading the package? Also, wouldn't it make sense to
> provide the
> functionality in terms of a (global) minor mode, the user can
> activate
> or deactivate?

It might be possible to make it a minor mode (with some extra
work) but it seems counter-intuitive (to me) to have this as a
minor-mode. But I've no strong opinion actually.

> Also, some functions (e.g. nano-modeline-compose) seem to have
> indentation issues.

Sorry for that, I'll correct them.

@ 2021-10-06 18:26     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-10-06 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria), Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:

>> when loading the package? Also, wouldn't it make sense to
>> provide the
>> functionality in terms of a (global) minor mode, the user can
>> activate
>> or deactivate?
>
> It might be possible to make it a minor mode (with some extra
> work) but it seems counter-intuitive (to me) to have this as a
> minor-mode. But I've no strong opinion actually.

I think a global minor mode is the most natural and Emacs-y thing here.
We have many minor modes that effectively just active settings, such as
`show-paren-mode', `blink-cursor-mode', 'menu-bar-mode',
`visual-line-mode', etc.

* Re: ELPA: New package: nano-modeline
@ 2021-10-06 18:50     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-06 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria); +Cc: emacs-devel

"Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Are you sure you want to call
>>
>>     (nano-modeline)
>
> Not at all, I can remove the autoload.
>
>> when loading the package? Also, wouldn't it make sense to provide
>> the
>> functionality in terms of a (global) minor mode, the user can
>> activate
>> or deactivate?
>
> It might be possible to make it a minor mode (with some extra work)
> but it seems counter-intuitive (to me) to have this as a
> minor-mode. But I've no strong opinion actually.

How come? A minor mode usually modifies the behaviour or appearance of
Emacs. Think of menu-bar-mode, scroll-bar-mode, etc.

But the main reason I mention this is that a minor mode is
reversible. If someone were to download nano-modeline and try it out,
they would have to restart their Emacs session to reset it.

(I wrote an text that represents MY (not necessarily the views of this
list, or of the emacs developers) views on the topic here:
http://ruzkuku.com/texts/emacs-style.html. Maybe that might help you to
understand where I am coming from.)

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: ELPA: New package: nano-modeline
@ 2021-10-06 19:20       ` Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2021-10-06 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> It might be possible to make it a minor mode (with some extra
>> work)
>> but it seems counter-intuitive (to me) to have this as a
>> minor-mode. But I've no strong opinion actually.
>
> How come? A minor mode usually modifies the behaviour or
> appearance of
> Emacs. Think of menu-bar-mode, scroll-bar-mode, etc.

Yes, I think it is just a misconception from myself.

> But the main reason I mention this is that a minor mode is
> reversible. If someone were to download nano-modeline and try it
> out,
> they would have to restart their Emacs session to reset it.

This the part I did not want to write (but I will do it).

@ 2021-10-06 19:24       ` Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2021-10-06 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, emacs-devel

> I think a global minor mode is the most natural and Emacs-y
> thing here.
> We have many minor modes that effectively just active settings,
> such as
> `show-paren-mode', `blink-cursor-mode', 'menu-bar-mode',
> `visual-line-mode', etc.

Makes sense, I'll work on that and submit the new version.

@ 2021-10-06 20:05     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-06 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria); +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, emacs-devel

Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) [2021-10-06 17:42:33] wrote:
> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>> Are you sure you want to call
>>     (nano-modeline)
> Not at all, I can remove the autoload.

Not sure what you mean by that, but the act of loading a file should not
substantially change the way Emacs behaves.  E.g. the `nano-modeline.el`
file might get loaded "by accident" without the user consciously asking
Emacs to do it, so it should *not* enable `nano-modeline`.

Whether you make it a minor mode or not, please make sure that it's
enabled by calling a function (presumably one that's autoloaded) rather
than by loading a file.

* Re: ELPA: New package: nano-modeline
@ 2021-10-06 20:16       ` Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2021-10-06 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, emacs-devel

> Whether you make it a minor mode or not, please make sure that
> it's
> enabled by calling a function (presumably one that's autoloaded)
> rather
> than by loading a file.

Sure. I had a trailing activation in my source code that I've now
removed.

@ 2021-10-07 10:42 ` Nicolas P. Rougier (gmail)
  2021-10-07 20:32   ` ELPA: New pacReferences: <m135pepivk.fsf@P-E6-PFredo1.imn.u-bordeaux2.fr> <m15yu9unaa.fsf@P-E6-PFredo1.imn.u-bordeaux2.fr> Philip Kaludercic
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (gmail) @ 2021-10-07 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've rewrote the modeline as a minor-mode. However, the previous
version landed on ELPA before I made the push on
GitHub. Hopefully, it will soon be replaced with the newest
version.

Nicolas

* Re: ELPA: New pacReferences: <m135pepivk.fsf@P-E6-PFredo1.imn.u-bordeaux2.fr> <m15yu9unaa.fsf@P-E6-PFredo1.imn.u-bordeaux2.fr>
@ 2021-10-07 20:32   ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas P. Rougier (gmail); +Cc: emacs-devel

"Nicolas P. Rougier (gmail)" <nicolas.rougier@gmail.com> writes:

> I've rewrote the modeline as a minor-mode. However, the previous
> version landed on ELPA before I made the push on GitHub. Hopefully, it
> will soon be replaced with the newest version.

Your package is marked with :auto-sync, so it should be updated
automatically sooner or later.

--
	Philip Kaludercic