* curious: need explicit package-initialize in recent v29.x
@ 2022-03-23  8:44 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-03-23  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello all,

I track git Emacs.  Yesterday, I git pulled and built Emacs.  It
wouldn't start with my init files.  -Q worked just fine.

After some debugging, it led me to adding the line

(package-initialize)

as the first line of my .emacs.  I do have an early-init.el file as
well which configures the repositories to use.

Previously, it seemed that the package system was initialised by Emacs
itself automatically between the evaluation of the early-init.el and
.emacs files.  Has this changed or is my problem a symptom of something
else?

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.2 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.2

* Re: curious: need explicit package-initialize in recent v29.x
@ 2022-03-23 12:49 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-03-23 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
> Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 08:44:20 +0000
>
> I track git Emacs.  Yesterday, I git pulled and built Emacs.  It
> wouldn't start with my init files.  -Q worked just fine.
>
> After some debugging, it led me to adding the line
>
> (package-initialize)
>
> as the first line of my .emacs.  I do have an early-init.el file as
> well which configures the repositories to use.
>
> Previously, it seemed that the package system was initialised by Emacs
> itself automatically between the evaluation of the early-init.el and
> .emacs files.  Has this changed or is my problem a symptom of something
> else?

What's your value of package-enable-at-startup?

* Re: curious: need explicit package-initialize in recent v29.x
@ 2022-03-23 13:00   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-03-23 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Eli,

On Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 08:50, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> What's your value of package-enable-at-startup?

My configuration did not change *at all* between using the version of
Emacs I built on Monday, which worked fine, and the version I built
yesterday.  Very strange.

It's not exactly an ordeal for me to explicitly ask for the package
system initialization, of course. ;-)

--

@ 2022-03-23 13:17     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-03-23 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 13:00:41 +0000
>
> > What's your value of package-enable-at-startup?

Then I suggest to take a look at the code in startup.el, starting
around line 1360, which is supposed to do what you expected.  From you
description, it sounds like something doesn't work there.  Stefan made
a change there 2 months ago, so if your previous version was before
that, maybe that change is the culprit.

* Re: curious: need explicit package-initialize in recent v29.x
@ 2022-03-23 13:27       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-03-23 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Then I suggest to take a look at the code in startup.el, starting
> around line 1360, which is supposed to do what you expected.  From you
> description, it sounds like something doesn't work there.  Stefan made
> a change there 2 months ago, so if your previous version was before
> that, maybe that change is the culprit.

No, my previous version was from Monday!  The code in startup.el looks
fine, given my settings for the variables.  I'll try to track down where
in my config things go weird and will report back if/when I figure it
out.

The interesting thing is that Emacs hangs completely (and I need to kill
it) during the init with my configuration if the package-initialize line
is not there explicitly.  So there is definitely something strange in my
config.

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.2 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.2