* Help me understand whether this is a gnutls.el bug
@ 2024-04-06 20:53 João Pedro
From: João Pedro @ 2024-04-06 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hello folks,

Since a couple of weeks ago I started getting, from time to time, the
following message on my echo area

gnutls.el: (err=[-15] An unexpected TLS packet was received.) boot: (:priority NORMAL:%DUMBFW :hostname smtp.gmail.com :loglevel 0 :min-prime-bits nil :trustfiles (/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt) :crlfiles nil :keylist nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error nil :callbacks nil)

and since I started receiving that message, some e-mail I send with
`message-mode' and `smtpmail.el' are not getting delivered (which is
strange given that if I open the Gmail web app I see them on the Sent
folder, but I can confirm that sometimes they're not delivered).

Does this sound like a bug with Emacs? Or is it something that changed
on Gmail's side? I'm using msmtp (and it is symlinked to `sendmail' in
order for `smtpmail.el' to use it) and `notmuch' on top of
`message-mode'.

Cheers (and I hope this one gets through...)!

--
João Pedro de A. Paula
IT bachelors at Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN)

* Re: Help me understand whether this is a gnutls.el bug
@ 2024-04-08 14:30 ` João Pedro
From: João Pedro @ 2024-04-08 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hey folks, can you confirm whether you got my last e-mail, quoted below?
Whether you got it or not probably has to do with the issue I'm
facing...

Best regards,

@ 2024-04-08 14:53   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-08 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João Pedro; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: João Pedro <jpedrodeamorim@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 11:30:35 -0300
>
> Hey folks, can you confirm whether you got my last e-mail, quoted below?
> Whether you got it or not probably has to do with the issue I'm
> facing...

We got it.

* Re: Help me understand whether this is a gnutls.el bug
@ 2024-04-08 15:57 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2024-04-08 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João Pedro; +Cc: Emacs developers

    João> Hello folks,
    João> Since a couple of weeks ago I started getting, from time to time, the
    João> following message on my echo area

    João> gnutls.el: (err=[-15] An unexpected TLS packet was received.) boot:
    João> (:priority NORMAL:%DUMBFW :hostname smtp.gmail.com :loglevel 0
    João> :min-prime-bits nil :trustfiles (/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt)
    João> :crlfiles nil :keylist nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error nil
    João> :callbacks nil)

    João> and since I started receiving that message, some e-mail I send with
    João> `message-mode' and `smtpmail.el' are not getting delivered (which is
    João> strange given that if I open the Gmail web app I see them on the Sent
    João> folder, but I can confirm that sometimes they're not delivered).

    João> Does this sound like a bug with Emacs? Or is it something that changed
    João> on Gmail's side? I'm using msmtp (and it is symlinked to `sendmail' in
    João> order for `smtpmail.el' to use it) and `notmuch' on top of
    João> `message-mode'.

Are you sure youʼre using msmtp? I thought it was a sendmail
replacement, so why does it look like Emacs is speaking TLS to
smtp.gmail.com directly?

Robert