* Problems with Multi_Key
@ 2010-05-03 20:59 Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2010-05-03 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
 2010-04-08 on linux-nvf0]

Of all applications I know on my computer, emacs is the only one which
doesn't accept multi-key compositions.  Calling `emacs -Q' and
pressing the composite key (which I've mapped to the `Windows menu'
key), I get

  <Multi_key> is undefined

and the composition isn't performed.  This behaviour wasn't present in
previous versions of Emacs (about a half year earlier, I estimate).
Note, however, that I'm now using Xorg 1.8.0 (from openSuSE factory),
together with fairly recent versions of all other Xorg modules, so the
problem might be elsewhere.

Is this a known problem?

    Werner

* Problems with Multi_Key
@ 2010-05-04  3:06 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2010-05-04  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG writes:

 >   <Multi_key> is undefined

 > Is this a known problem?

Dunno about Emacs, but I've seen this before in XEmacs.  It was due to
use of legacy keyboard functions rather than the XKB extensions.

* Re: Problems with Multi_Key
@ 2010-05-04 11:21 ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-05-04 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> [GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
>  2010-04-08 on linux-nvf0]
>
> Of all applications I know on my computer, emacs is the only one which
> doesn't accept multi-key compositions.  Calling `emacs -Q' and
> pressing the composite key (which I've mapped to the `Windows menu'
> key), I get
>
>   <Multi_key> is undefined
>
> and the composition isn't performed.  This behaviour wasn't present in
> previous versions of Emacs (about a half year earlier, I estimate).
> Note, however, that I'm now using Xorg 1.8.0 (from openSuSE factory),
> together with fairly recent versions of all other Xorg modules, so the
> problem might be elsewhere.
>
> Is this a known problem?
>

>     Werner

Yeah, this is very annoying, I have the same problem. I don't think it
has much to do with a specific or especially recent Xorg version -- I
observe this both on Ubuntu 8.04 and current Debian unstable.

Štěpán

* Re: Problems with Multi_Key
@ 2010-05-04 18:14 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-04 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: emacs-devel

>   <Multi_key> is undefined
> and the composition isn't performed.  This behaviour wasn't present in
> previous versions of Emacs (about a half year earlier, I estimate).
[...]
> Is this a known problem?

No, please make a bug-report for it.  I rely on the Multi_key for all my
French accents, so "it works for me" (under Debian testing, here).

* Re: Problems with Multi_Key
@ 2010-05-04 18:56   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-05-04 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Štěpán Němec; +Cc: emacs-devel

2010-05-04 13:21, Štěpán Němec skrev:
> Werner LEMBERG<wl@gnu.org>  writes:
>
>> [GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
>>   2010-04-08 on linux-nvf0]
>>
>> Of all applications I know on my computer, emacs is the only one which
>> doesn't accept multi-key compositions.  Calling `emacs -Q' and
>> pressing the composite key (which I've mapped to the `Windows menu'
>> key), I get
>>
>>    <Multi_key>  is undefined
>>
>> and the composition isn't performed.  This behaviour wasn't present in
>> previous versions of Emacs (about a half year earlier, I estimate).
>> Note, however, that I'm now using Xorg 1.8.0 (from openSuSE factory),
>> together with fairly recent versions of all other Xorg modules, so the
>> problem might be elsewhere.
>>
>> Is this a known problem?

> Yeah, this is very annoying, I have the same problem. I don't think it
> has much to do with a specific or especially recent Xorg version -- I
> observe this both on Ubuntu 8.04 and current Debian unstable.

FWIW, it works fine for me with Ubuntu 10.04.  A lot of other stuff isn't
working fine on 10.04, but this isn't one of them :-).  But this is X.Org
version 1.7.6.

	Jan D.

* Re: Problems with Multi_Key
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-05-04 19:09 ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-05-04 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: emacs-devel

WL> [GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
WL>  2010-04-08 on linux-nvf0]

Multi_key works fine here (git master of Xorg,xcb, et al, brz trunk of
Emacs), but I use:

  GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
  of 2010-04-23 on lugabout

It may be a GTK issue.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: Problems with Multi_Key
@ 2010-05-04 20:41   ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2010-05-04 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>   <Multi_key> is undefined
>>
>> Is this a known problem?
>
> No, please make a bug-report for it.

Done.

    Werner

* Re: Problems with Multi_Key
@ 2010-05-05  9:35   ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-05-05  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos; +Cc: emacs-devel

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> WL> [GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
> WL>  2010-04-08 on linux-nvf0]
>
> Multi_key works fine here (git master of Xorg,xcb, et al, brz trunk of
> Emacs), but I use:
>
>   GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>   of 2010-04-23 on lugabout
>
> It may be a GTK issue.

Probably not, I'm using a non-toolkit build.

Somewhat interestingly, it works when I run Emacs as

'env XMODIFIERS="@im=none" emacs'

..., and it _always_ works in the terminal, so maybe it has more to do
with some interaction with X input methods.

Štěpán