* Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-22 11:38 stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-05-22 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-22 12:28 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2020-05-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: numbchild, Emacs Devel

On 22.05.2020 14:38, stardiviner wrote:
> I found an patch (https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/pull/1/files) for Emacs on macOS.
>
> Is it possible to let Emacs support this by default for Linux system?
>
> I hope Emacs can implement this feature. It make Emacs more feasible of looks awesome.

Looks pretty fun.

Here's a picture for anybody curious:

https://repository-images.githubusercontent.com/184457193/69dcff00-14d2-11ea-90e1-4bdf6fef80ca

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-22 12:40   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-05-22 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: numbchild, emacs-devel

> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 15:28:12 +0300
>
> On 22.05.2020 14:38, stardiviner wrote:
> > I found an patch (https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/pull/1/files) for Emacs on macOS.
> >
> > Is it possible to let Emacs support this by default for Linux system?
> >
> > I hope Emacs can implement this feature. It make Emacs more feasible of looks awesome.
>
> Looks pretty fun.
>
> Here's a picture for anybody curious:
>
> https://repository-images.githubusercontent.com/184457193/69dcff00-14d2-11ea-90e1-4bdf6fef80ca

What should I be looking at?  I don't think I see any "shadow" there.

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-22 12:44     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2020-05-22 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: numbchild, emacs-devel

On 22.05.2020 15:40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Looks pretty fun.
>>
>> Here's a picture for anybody curious:
>>
>> https://repository-images.githubusercontent.com/184457193/69dcff00-14d2-11ea-90e1-4bdf6fef80ca
> What should I be looking at?  I don't think I see any "shadow" there.

IIUC, it's the "fuzzy" effect around some of the characters. The pink
and yellow ones, on this picture.

And here's the design document, I guess:
https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/wiki/Text-Shadow

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-22 12:58       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-05-22 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: numbchild, emacs-devel

> Cc: numbchild@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 15:44:33 +0300
>
> And here's the design document, I guess:
> https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/wiki/Text-Shadow

I only see macOS-specific changes there.

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-22 13:06         ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2020-05-22 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: numbchild, emacs-devel

On 22.05.2020 15:58, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> And here's the design document, I guess:
>> https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/wiki/Text-Shadow
> I only see macOS-specific changes there.

You mean the implementation section? Indeed. The original message in
this thread said as much.

"cairo text shadow" gives some results on web search, though. This one
looks the most credible:
https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-September/020915.html

It's old, though, and the links inside seem to have died. Want me to
hunt them down?

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-22 13:19           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-05-22 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: numbchild, emacs-devel

> Cc: numbchild@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 16:06:26 +0300
>
> On 22.05.2020 15:58, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> And here's the design document, I guess:
> >> https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/wiki/Text-Shadow
> > I only see macOS-specific changes there.
>
> You mean the implementation section? Indeed. The original message in
> this thread said as much.

But the text there says there should be changes in xfaces.c etc.  I
wonder how can I see those changes.

> "cairo text shadow" gives some results on web search, though. This one
> looks the most credible:
> https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-September/020915.html
>
> It's old, though, and the links inside seem to have died. Want me to
> hunt them down?

Given the description, I'm not sure it's worth our while, but if you
can find the patches without investing too much time, it will be
appreciated.  Thanks.

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-22 13:34             ` Dmitry Gutov
       [not found]               ` <83k11316af.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2020-05-22 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: numbchild, emacs-devel

On 22.05.2020 16:19, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: numbchild@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
>> Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 16:06:26 +0300

>>> I only see macOS-specific changes there.
>>
>> You mean the implementation section? Indeed. The original message in
>> this thread said as much.
>
> But the text there says there should be changes in xfaces.c etc.  I
> wonder how can I see those changes.

They're inside the PR, already linked to in the original message.

Here, at the bottom: https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/pull/1/files

Whether you should read it, I don't know, considering there's no
copyright assignment, and someone might have to re-implement the code.
But the changes are not particularly long or surprising.

>> "cairo text shadow" gives some results on web search, though. This one
>> looks the most credible:
>> https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-September/020915.html
>>
>> It's old, though, and the links inside seem to have died. Want me to
>> hunt them down?
>
> Given the description, I'm not sure it's worth our while,

Perhaps you meant "patches welcome"?

> but if you
> can find the patches without investing too much time, it will be
> appreciated.  Thanks.

There is no ready patch for Emacs for this part.

One is "how Firefox implements text-shadow". Apparently, this is how
it's done these days:
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/gfx/thebes/gfxBlur.cpp

And the second example lives here now:
https://github.com/syndicodefront/infekt/blob/master/src/lib/cairo_box_blur.cpp

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-23  0:56               ` stardiviner
       [not found]               ` <83k11316af.fsf@gnu.org>
From: stardiviner @ 2020-05-23  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: numbchild, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Yes, I'm think this is a great feature for Emacs. It will make Emacs looks
awesome in some places.

Dimitry, I also found your first replied VS Code's theme screenshot. It looks
great! right.

That's why I hope Emacs can have this too.

I don't know C/C++ programming, but I checked my posted patch's source code,
it's not long. I think it might nor hard to implement in Emacs on Linux. Maybe
other operating system platforms.

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 22.05.2020 16:19, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Cc: numbchild@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
>>> Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 16:06:26 +0300

>>> You mean the implementation section? Indeed. The original message in
>>> this thread said as much.
>> But the text there says there should be changes in xfaces.c etc.  I
>> wonder how can I see those changes.
>
> They're inside the PR, already linked to in the original message.
>
> Here, at the bottom: https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/pull/1/files
>
> Whether you should read it, I don't know, considering there's no copyright
> assignment, and someone might have to re-implement the code. But the changes are
> not particularly long or surprising.
>
>>> "cairo text shadow" gives some results on web search, though. This one
>>> looks the most credible:
>>> https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-September/020915.html
>>>
>>> It's old, though, and the links inside seem to have died. Want me to
>>> hunt them down?
>>   Given the description, I'm not sure it's worth our while,
>
> Perhaps you meant "patches welcome"?
>
>> but if you
>> can find the patches without investing too much time, it will be
>> appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> There is no ready patch for Emacs for this part.
>
> One is "how Firefox implements text-shadow". Apparently, this is how it's done
> these days: https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/gfx/thebes/gfxBlur.cpp
>
> And the second example lives here now:
> https://github.com/syndicodefront/infekt/blob/master/src/lib/cairo_box_blur.cpp

- --
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

@ 2020-05-23 11:51                 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2020-05-23 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: numbchild, emacs-devel

On 23.05.2020 10:04, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> OK, but the actual implementation is still only for macOS

Just like the first message in this thread said.

In the meantime, I've asked the author about the state of Linux support.
Unfortunately, they're stopped working on it at the moment.

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-23 12:34                   ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-05-23 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: numbchild, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-25  4:34                     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2020-05-25  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: numbchild; +Cc: numbchild, eliz, emacs-devel, dgutov

  > I can contact the author of this patch, he doesn't have progress
  > on supporting Linux. I'm thinking whether Emacs-dev team can
  > implement this feature by own design.

If someone wants to implement this for GNU/Linux, that would be good,
and then we could install the MacOS code for the same feature.  But I
can't implore people to write that so we could install the code for
MacOS.  MacOS support is a secondary matter.

   Or maybe considering merge this macOS support patch at first

That would be taking an unwise risk.  What if we installed that MacOS
feature, and months went by and no one wrote a similar feature for
GNU/Linux?  We would be in a bad situation, doing what we shouldn't.

We could delete that MacOS code at that point.  But that is asking
for trouble.  It is wiser to avoid getting into that situation.

That is why our policy is not to install features that work only on a
non-GNU platform.  See the node System Portability in the GNU Coding
Standards, https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
@ 2020-05-25 10:50                       ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-05-25 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: numbchild, eliz, emacs-devel, dgutov