* Emlua: a way to run a Lua interpreter inside Emacs as a module
@ 2022-03-27 23:00 Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2022-03-27 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers, nerditation

Hi all,
here is a new toy:

  Emlua: a way to run a Lua interpreter inside Emacs as a module
  https://github.com/edrx/emlua

To test Emlua you will need: 1) an Emacs compiled with support for
dynamic modules, 2) liblua5.3-dev or something equivalent to it, and
3) eev. People with some practice with eev should be able to download,
compile, and test everything just by using the script that is here:

  https://github.com/edrx/emlua#testing-everything

The github page has lots of explanations, links, and even a
screenshot (!!!). Its last section says:

  This is a prototype!
  At this moment emlua isn't very useful per se, but it is very easy
  to hack and extend.

I hope that the code is well-commented enough.
Cheers & happy hacking,
  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/#eev

* Re: Emlua: a way to run a Lua interpreter inside Emacs as a module
@ 2022-03-29  3:27 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-03-29  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Ochs; +Cc: nerditation, emacs-devel

  > here is a new toy:

  >   Emlua: a way to run a Lua interpreter inside Emacs as a module
  >   https://github.com/edrx/emlua

Is it already possible to run lua itself in a subprocess?

I have a feeling that linking all the world's language interpreters
into Emacs itself is asking for (1) lots more work and (2) trouble.

* Re: Emlua: a way to run a Lua interpreter inside Emacs as a module
@ 2022-03-29  3:45   ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2022-03-29  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: nerditation, Emacs developers

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 00:27, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>   >   Emlua: a way to run a Lua interpreter inside Emacs as a module
>   >   https://github.com/edrx/emlua
>
> Is it already possible to run lua itself in a subprocess?

Yes, that's very easy, and that's what I did for many years.

> I have a feeling that linking all the world's language interpreters
> into Emacs itself is asking for (1) lots more work and (2) trouble.

I linked Lua because it is my favorite language and in most cases I
write Lua code much faster that I write Lisp... and I _did_ try to
write hooks to process the output of an inferior Lua process to write
code that would process some kinds of outputs as sexps, but failed.

Emlua is a personal project that is helping me to bypass some of my
limitations with writing hooks and filters in elisp. I hope that it
won't make people blame me for the next 1000 languages that will be
linked to Emacs using modules... =/

  Cheers,

@ 2022-03-29  3:46   ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-03-29  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Eduardo Ochs, nerditation, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Is it already possible to run lua itself in a subprocess?

Yes.

* Re: Emlua: a way to run a Lua interpreter inside Emacs as a module
@ 2022-03-31  4:26     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-03-31  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Ochs; +Cc: nerditation, emacs-devel

  > I linked Lua because it is my favorite language and in most cases I
  > write Lua code much faster that I write Lisp... and I _did_ try to
  > write hooks to process the output of an inferior Lua process to write
  > code that would process some kinds of outputs as sexps, but failed.

For the sake of the maintainance and development burden of Emacs,
it is crucial to do it that way, running Lua as a separate process.
The dynamic module would be system-dependent, and even if volunteers
do the work of developing it for a wide range of systems, it will
still put a burden on us, a burden that volunteers would have
difficulty taking off our shoulders.

Yes, it is tricky to communicate reliably with a subprocess.
But there are other Lisp packages that do this.  All it will
take to get that to work is for one clever wizard to figure
out the right way, and implement it once.

Would someone like to work on this?