* Is the 2012-04-01 Update to Org version 7.8.07 incomplete?
@ 2012-04-21 19:38 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2012-04-21 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

According to the ChangeLog of this update (Bzr revision 107720 on the
Emacs trunk), it contains the following change:

2012-04-01  Bastien Guerry  <bzg@gnu.org>

	* org.el (org-cycle-internal-global): Prevent the display of
	messages when cycling from with a Gnus article buffer.

Yet the code in the Emacs trunk does not include the change made to the
Org master repository
(http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=fb31480013dba3408f59f24211f9b436e60772f1).
Was it inadvertantly omitted from the merge?

Steve Berman

* Re: Is the 2012-04-01 Update to Org version 7.8.07 incomplete?
@ 2012-04-21 19:53 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-21 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Stephen Berman writes:
> Yet the code in the Emacs trunk does not include the change made to the
> Org master repository
> (http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=fb31480013dba3408f59f24211f9b436e60772f1).
> Was it inadvertantly omitted from the merge?

This change fell victim to a botched merge during release of 7.8.04 and
the following cleanup and is currently only in org master.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Is the 2012-04-01 Update to Org version 7.8.07 incomplete?
@ 2012-04-21 20:02   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2012-04-21 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:53:07 +0200 Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Stephen Berman writes:
>> Yet the code in the Emacs trunk does not include the change made to the
>> Org master repository
>> (http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=fb31480013dba3408f59f24211f9b436e60772f1).
>> Was it inadvertantly omitted from the merge?
>
> This change fell victim to a botched merge during release of 7.8.04 and
> the following cleanup and is currently only in org master.

Thanks for the info.  Shouldn't the Org ChangeLog in the Emacs trunk be
corrected?

@ 2012-04-21 23:07     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-21 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:53:07 +0200 Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Berman writes:
>>> Yet the code in the Emacs trunk does not include the change made to the
>>> Org master repository
>>> (http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=fb31480013dba3408f59f24211f9b436e60772f1).
>>> Was it inadvertantly omitted from the merge?
>>
>> This change fell victim to a botched merge during release of 7.8.04 and
>> the following cleanup and is currently only in org master.
>
> Thanks for the info.  Shouldn't the Org ChangeLog in the Emacs trunk be
> corrected?

I fixed the ChangeLog entry in the emacs-24 branch.

Thanks for pointing this!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Is the 2012-04-01 Update to Org version 7.8.07 incomplete?
@ 2012-05-05 11:44       ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2012-05-05 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 01:07:41 +0200 Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

>>> This change fell victim to a botched merge during release of 7.8.04 and
>>> the following cleanup and is currently only in org master.
>>
>> Thanks for the info.  Shouldn't the Org ChangeLog in the Emacs trunk be
>> corrected?
>
> I fixed the ChangeLog entry in the emacs-24 branch.
>
> Thanks for pointing this!

Is there a scheduled date or even a rough time frame for (really)
merging this change to the Emacs trunk?  If so, I'd like to know when it
is.  Thanks.

@ 2012-05-05 13:44         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> Is there a scheduled date or even a rough time frame for (really)
> merging this change to the Emacs trunk?

What change?  Can you be a bit more explicit?

 Bastien

* Re: Is the 2012-04-01 Update to Org version 7.8.07 incomplete?
@ 2012-05-05 19:14           ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2012-05-05 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, 05 May 2012 15:44:55 +0200 Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Is there a scheduled date or even a rough time frame for (really)
>> merging this change to the Emacs trunk?
>
> What change?  Can you be a bit more explicit?

The one in the URL included in my followup.  Here it is again:

@ 2012-05-05 22:57             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-05 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> On Sat, 05 May 2012 15:44:55 +0200 Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>>
>>> Is there a scheduled date or even a rough time frame for (really)
>>> merging this change to the Emacs trunk?
>>
>> What change?  Can you be a bit more explicit?
>
> The one in the URL included in my followup.  Here it is again:
>
> http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=fb31480013dba3408f59f24211f9b436e60772f1

Okay.  This is now both in the maint branch and the master branch of the
git repository of Org-mode.  The maint branch will be merged into Emacs
before the next Emacs pretest -- which AFAIK is not planned yet.

 Bastien

* Re: Is the 2012-04-01 Update to Org version 7.8.07 incomplete?
@ 2012-05-05 23:04               ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2012-05-05 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 06 May 2012 00:57:53 +0200 Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> On Sat, 05 May 2012 15:44:55 +0200 Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stephen,

>>> What change?  Can you be a bit more explicit?
>>
>> The one in the URL included in my followup.  Here it is again:
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=fb31480013dba3408f59f24211f9b436e60772f1
>
> Okay.  This is now both in the maint branch and the master branch of the
> git repository of Org-mode.  The maint branch will be merged into Emacs
> before the next Emacs pretest -- which AFAIK is not planned yet.

Great, looking forward to it.  Thanks!

@ 2012-05-07  5:46               ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-05-07  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Stephen Berman, emacs-devel

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Okay.  This is now both in the maint branch and the master branch of
> the git repository of Org-mode.  The maint branch will be merged into
> Emacs before the next Emacs pretest -- which AFAIK is not planned yet.

There may not be a next pretest, only the release candidate.  In any
case, this late in the pretest process I'm not sure another big merge
from Org upstream is appropriate.

If there is a critical bug that needs to be fixed, cherry-pick it into
the emacs-24 branch.  Other fixes should go into the trunk.

* Re: Is the 2012-04-01 Update to Org version 7.8.07 incomplete?
@ 2012-05-07  7:47                 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-07  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Stephen Berman, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Okay.  This is now both in the maint branch and the master branch of
>> the git repository of Org-mode.  The maint branch will be merged into
>> Emacs before the next Emacs pretest -- which AFAIK is not planned yet.
>
> There may not be a next pretest, only the release candidate.

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry.

> In any case, this late in the pretest process I'm not sure another big
> merge from Org upstream is appropriate.

"Org upstream" is either the maint branch or the master branch:
I plan to merge changes from the maint branch, which are mainly
bug fixes.  I don't plan to merge changes from master.

I will send a patch first.

> If there is a critical bug that needs to be fixed, cherry-pick it into
> the emacs-24 branch.  Other fixes should go into the trunk.

You mean "manually cherry-pick"?  Is there a simple way to cherry-pick
with bzr?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Is the 2012-04-01 Update to Org version 7.8.07 incomplete?
@ 2012-05-07  7:52                 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2012-05-07  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-devel

On Mon, 07 May 2012 13:46:40 +0800 Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org> wrote:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Okay.  This is now both in the maint branch and the master branch of
>> the git repository of Org-mode.  The maint branch will be merged into
>> Emacs before the next Emacs pretest -- which AFAIK is not planned yet.
>
> There may not be a next pretest, only the release candidate.  In any
> case, this late in the pretest process I'm not sure another big merge
> from Org upstream is appropriate.
>
> If there is a critical bug that needs to be fixed, cherry-pick it into
> the emacs-24 branch.  Other fixes should go into the trunk.

This bug isn't critical, just (to me) annoying, and it's fine for me to
install it in the trunk, since that's what I regularly build from.

@ 2012-05-07  8:21                   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-07  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

"Stephen Berman" <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> On Mon, 07 May 2012 13:46:40 +0800 Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Okay.  This is now both in the maint branch and the master branch of
>>> the git repository of Org-mode.  The maint branch will be merged into
>>> Emacs before the next Emacs pretest -- which AFAIK is not planned yet.
>>
>> There may not be a next pretest, only the release candidate.  In any
>> case, this late in the pretest process I'm not sure another big merge
>> from Org upstream is appropriate.
>>
>> If there is a critical bug that needs to be fixed, cherry-pick it into
>> the emacs-24 branch.  Other fixes should go into the trunk.
>
> This bug isn't critical, just (to me) annoying, and it's fine for me to
> install it in the trunk, since that's what I regularly build from.

Since the fix is in the Org maint branch it will be merged with
emacs-24.  That's the whole point of having the maint branch for
Org: keep a branch that we synchronize with emacs-24.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Is the 2012-04-01 Update to Org version 7.8.07 incomplete?
@ 2012-05-07  9:05                   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-05-07  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Stephen Berman, emacs-devel

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

>> In any case, this late in the pretest process I'm not sure another big
>> merge from Org upstream is appropriate.
>
> "Org upstream" is either the maint branch or the master branch:
> I plan to merge changes from the maint branch, which are mainly
> bug fixes.  I don't plan to merge changes from master.

I see; that wasn't apparent to me from the last merge, which had stuff
like the new face `org-date-selected'.  If the merge consists of just
obviously-safe bugfixes, go ahead by all means.  Just be extra paranoid.

>> If there is a critical bug that needs to be fixed, cherry-pick it into
>> the emacs-24 branch.  Other fixes should go into the trunk.
>
> You mean "manually cherry-pick"?  Is there a simple way to cherry-pick
> with bzr?

bzr merge FROM -c REVNO

* Re: Is the 2012-04-01 Update to Org version 7.8.07 incomplete?
@ 2012-05-07 10:13                     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-07 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Stephen Berman, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> In any case, this late in the pretest process I'm not sure another big
>>> merge from Org upstream is appropriate.
>>
>> "Org upstream" is either the maint branch or the master branch:
>> I plan to merge changes from the maint branch, which are mainly
>> bug fixes.  I don't plan to merge changes from master.
>
> I see; that wasn't apparent to me from the last merge, which had stuff
> like the new face `org-date-selected'.  If the merge consists of just
> obviously-safe bugfixes, go ahead by all means.  Just be extra paranoid.

There are also some small documentation fixes.

I'm all for merging them too.  Let me know.

>>> If there is a critical bug that needs to be fixed, cherry-pick it into
>>> the emacs-24 branch.  Other fixes should go into the trunk.
>>
>> You mean "manually cherry-pick"?  Is there a simple way to cherry-pick
>> with bzr?
>
> bzr merge FROM -c REVNO

Thanks!

--