* Re: master 9fc1fdc: Restore the previous order of ERC's '/whois' arguments
       [not found] ` <20210930021846.71A3220D1E@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2021-09-30  3:12   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-09-30  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Bandali, emacs-devel

bandali@gnu.org (Amin Bandali) writes:

> +(defun erc-cmd-WHOIS (nick-or-server &optional nick-if-server)
> +  "Display whois information for the given user.
> +
> +If NICK-IF-SERVER is nil, NICK-OR-SERVER should be the nick of
> +the user about whom the whois information is to be requested.
> +Otherwise, if NICK-IF-SERVER is non-nil, NICK-OR-SERVER should be
> +the server to which the user with the nick NICK-IF-USER is
> +connected to.
> +
> +Specifying the server NICK-OR-SERVER that the nick NICK-IF-SERVER
> +is connected to is useful for getting the time the NICK-IF-SERVER
> +user has been idle for, when the user NICK-IF-SERVER is connected
> +to a different server of the network than the one current user is
> +connected to, since only the server a user is connected to knows
> +the idle time of that user."

How about:

With one argument, FIRST is the nickname of the user to request whois
information for.

With two arguments, FIRST is the server, and SECOND is the user
nickname.

Specifying the server is useful for getting the time that the user has
been idle for, when it is connected to a different server on the same
IRC network.  (Only the server a user is connected to knows how long the
user has been idle.)

* Re: master 9fc1fdc: Restore the previous order of ERC's '/whois' arguments
@ 2021-10-01  5:24     ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2021-10-01  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Kangas writes:

[...]
> How about:
>
> With one argument, FIRST is the nickname of the user to request whois
> information for.
>
> With two arguments, FIRST is the server, and SECOND is the user
> nickname.
>
> Specifying the server is useful for getting the time that the user has
> been idle for, when it is connected to a different server on the same
> IRC network.  (Only the server a user is connected to knows how long the
> user has been idle.)

Simpler, clearer, and much less awkward.  I like it, thanks!  Pushed.

--
https://bndl.org