* ns-do-applescript again
       [not found] <87mta6ohqh.fsf.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2022-10-08  8:13 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-08  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

What was previously found to still use `ns-do-applescript'?  The
function should really be deleted, ideally before the Emacs 29 branch is
cut.  It is simply a waste of space in nsfns.m and is probably the cause
of a mysterious crash in popup menus.

* Re: ns-do-applescript again
@ 2022-10-10  8:52   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-10-10  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Po> What was previously found to still use `ns-do-applescript'?  The
    Po> function should really be deleted, ideally before the Emacs 29 branch is
    Po> cut.  It is simply a waste of space in nsfns.m and is probably the cause
    Po> of a mysterious crash in popup menus.

bug#58288 still reproduces wiht ns-do-applescript removed. Could you elaborate?

Robert

* Re: ns-do-applescript again
@ 2022-10-10  9:05   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-10-10  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> What was previously found to still use `ns-do-applescript'?  The
> function should really be deleted, ideally before the Emacs 29 branch is
> cut.

If we want to delete it, we should use the normal deprecation mechanism
(i.e., mark it as obsolete and remove it after som years).

> It is simply a waste of space in nsfns.m and is probably the cause
> of a mysterious crash in popup menus.

So that wouldn't help with the mysterious crash.

* Re: ns-do-applescript again
@ 2022-10-10 10:07     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-10 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     Po> What was previously found to still use `ns-do-applescript'?  The
>     Po> function should really be deleted, ideally before the Emacs 29 branch is
>     Po> cut.  It is simply a waste of space in nsfns.m and is probably the cause
>     Po> of a mysterious crash in popup menus.
>
> bug#58288 still reproduces wiht ns-do-applescript removed. Could you elaborate?

Something inside the popup event loop checks for timers (I'm borrowing
someone's fully set up Mac, so the problematic Lisp code is likely not
in Emacs core); then, the nested event loop run by ns-do-applescript
inside a timer crashes.

* Re: ns-do-applescript again
@ 2022-10-10 10:08     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-10 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> If we want to delete it, we should use the normal deprecation mechanism
> (i.e., mark it as obsolete and remove it after som years).

My idea was to replace it with something calling osascript in a
subprocess, I think I know how to do that already.  While also
obsoleting it, of course.

* Re: ns-do-applescript again
@ 2022-10-10 10:31       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-10-10 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> My idea was to replace it with something calling osascript in a
> subprocess, I think I know how to do that already.  While also
> obsoleting it, of course.

Oh, OK -- that should work fine, then (if osascript supports the same
stuff, and from cursory googling, it seems like it does -- but as they
say, I Know Nothing).