* really delete http://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode/ada-mode.html
@ 2021-09-06 16:35 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2021-09-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A while back (I can't find the message by searching  the emacs-devel
archive, sigh), I asked that
http://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode/ada-mode.html be deleted, because it was
for ada-mode version 4.01, which is woefully out of date.

I thought it was deleted, but apparently it was replaced with version
7.0.1. That's still out of date, and worse, it has links to the
companion wisi package documentation, which is not present on that
website, so the links are broken.

The root problem here is that ada-mode is an ELPA package, not a core
package. Apparently http://www.nongnu.org/ has no mechanism for keeping
documentation for ELPA packages complete and up to date.

I'm working on fixing that; the documentation for each elpa package will
appear on the ELPA page for that package;
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ada-mode.html will have links to the
ada-mode user manual https://elpa.gnu.org/docs/ada-mode/ada-mode.html,
and the internal links to wisi will point to the wisi user manual
https://elpa.gnu.org/docs/wisi/wisi.html (the actual URLs are not final
yet).

So at some point, the general Emacs documentation on
http://www.nongnu.org could point to the ELPA website for ELPA packages.

But in any case, http://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode/ada-mode.html should
simply be deleted.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: really delete http://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode/ada-mode.html
@ 2021-09-06 17:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-09-06 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
> Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 09:35:21 -0700
>
> A while back (I can't find the message by searching  the emacs-devel
> archive, sigh), I asked that
> http://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode/ada-mode.html be deleted, because it was
> for ada-mode version 4.01, which is woefully out of date.
>
> I thought it was deleted, but apparently it was replaced with version
> 7.0.1. That's still out of date, and worse, it has links to the
> companion wisi package documentation, which is not present on that
> website, so the links are broken.

I think you asked to remove the manual from the GNU documentation
site, and I did that.

* Re: really delete http://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode/ada-mode.html
@ 2021-09-07 22:25   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2021-09-07 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
>> Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 09:35:21 -0700
>>
>> A while back (I can't find the message by searching  the emacs-devel
>> archive, sigh), I asked that
>> http://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode/ada-mode.html be deleted, because it was
>> for ada-mode version 4.01, which is woefully out of date.
>>
>> I thought it was deleted, but apparently it was replaced with version
>> 7.0.1. That's still out of date, and worse, it has links to the
>> companion wisi package documentation, which is not present on that
>> website, so the links are broken.
>
> I think you asked to remove the manual from the GNU documentation
> site, and I did that.

Ah, sorry. http://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode is the savannah web page
created by my savannah ada-mode project, so I'm asking myself to delete
it. Sigh.

Sorry for the noise.

--
-- Stephe