* Page order in describe-bindings
@ 2024-03-03  4:08 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-03-03  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

At present, C-h b (describe-bindings)
shows all the minor mode bindings first, and  places the major mode
bindings at the end.

So for instance, when called in a help-mode buffer, the help-mode
bindings are 3400 lines down.

Could we (should we) display major-mode bindings first?

* Re: Page order in describe-bindings
@ 2024-03-03  7:26 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-03  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 20:08:21 -0800
>
> At present, C-h b (describe-bindings)
> shows all the minor mode bindings first, and  places the major mode
> bindings at the end.
>
> So for instance, when called in a help-mode buffer, the help-mode
> bindings are 3400 lines down.
>
> Could we (should we) display major-mode bindings first?

I don't think this is a good idea, since someone will come later
complaining that they want the minor mode first...

The *Help* buffer generated by "C-h b" has the outline-minor-mode
turned on, so navigation is easy (e.g., "C-c @ C-n" and "C-c @ C-p" to
move between sections).  And maybe you want to customize
describe-bindings-outline-rules to the nil value, which will make the
sections hidden, with only the section headings visible: then you can
easily unhide only the section you are interested in.  I think
outline-minor-mode all but eliminates the need to decide which part is
first and which follows it.

* Re: Page order in describe-bindings
@ 2024-03-03 14:47   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-03-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

thanks, didn't know about the outline-rules custom option

* Re: Page order in describe-bindings
@ 2024-03-04  3:45 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2024-03-04  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Could we (should we) display major-mode bindings first?

We certainly could.

Here is why I decided to show the minor modes first.
(1) minor mode bindings override major mode bindings.
(2) minor modes typically did not make many bindinms/
Given those facts, the ordering of minor first
was natural and convenient.

Perhaps nowadays the facts are different; perhaps the major-first
order would be good.  But don't be quick to assume that is generally
true.

I have a hunch that the diversity of binding situations is much more now
and that developing a good way to show them all might require more thought.

* Re: Page order in describe-bindings
@ 2024-03-04 12:07   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-04 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 22:45:31 -0500
>
> I have a hunch that the diversity of binding situations is much more now
> and that developing a good way to show them all might require more thought.

We now display the *Help* buffer with bindings in outline-minor-mode,
which makes navigation between sections much easier.  In addition,
users can customize an option to start the *Help* buffer in "folded"
mode, where only the section heading lines are shown, in which case
the major-mode section is just one or 2 lines away.

* Re: Page order in describe-bindings
@ 2024-03-04 15:09   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-03-04 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

Makes sense. I also suspect that we now have a far larger number of
minor modes than in the day. One possibility -- in addition to Eli's
suggestion to start with the buffered folded via outlines is to
perhaps have a customization option that simply reverses the order on
user choice.