* new package?
@ 2014-07-17 13:23 Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2014-07-17 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I wrote this little function:
https://github.com/fgunbin/sandbox/blob/master/exekit/exekit.el , I
could add it as an elpa package, but it seems to me there are too few
lines for a package :)

What do you think?

--

    Filipp

* Re: new package?
@ 2014-07-17 21:10 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-07-17 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipp Gunbin; +Cc: emacs-devel

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:

Hi Filipp,

> I wrote this little function:
> https://github.com/fgunbin/sandbox/blob/master/exekit/exekit.el , I
> could add it as an elpa package, but it seems to me there are too few
> lines for a package :)
>
> What do you think?

It seems like it's a bit too specialized to your own habits to be useful
in general.  I assume you have a file organized using outline mode with
lots of handy shell snippets you regularly use, and then it's surely
convenient to you.

The same could be done with org-mode and its org-babel library that
already come with emacs, and then you're not restricted to one-liners
and you can use other languages than your shell, too.

Have a look at its documentation, especially these sections:

  (info "(org)Working with source code")
  (info "(org)Evaluating code blocks")
  (info "(org)Library of Babel")

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: new package?
@ 2014-07-17 21:46   ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2014-07-17 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Tassilo,

On 18/07/2014 01:10 +0400, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> It seems like it's a bit too specialized to your own habits to be useful
> in general.  I assume you have a file organized using outline mode with
> lots of handy shell snippets you regularly use, and then it's surely
> convenient to you.

Oh yes, I have such a file (it's in outline mode but it doesn't have to
be for this command).  If there are few lines and they depend on each
other than that goes to a separate script file and one-liners (or
multiple independent commmands) I run directly.  I agree that's
specialized a bit, that's why I asked here.

> The same could be done with org-mode and its org-babel library that
> already come with emacs, and then you're not restricted to one-liners
> and you can use other languages than your shell, too.
>
> Have a look at its documentation, especially these sections:
>
>   (info "(org)Working with source code")
>   (info "(org)Evaluating code blocks")
>   (info "(org)Library of Babel")

Thanks!  I'll definitely check it when I get to org-mode :) I don't have
enough tasks for it to solve for me now, so I was kind of avoiding it..

--

    Filipp