* standard key binding for project-find-file?
@ 2019-12-02 11:47 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2019-12-02 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'd like to establish a standard global key binding for project-find-file. It
is useful in many modes, and in some cases can be useful in any buffer
(with a find project function that ignores mode).

The next version of ELPA ada-mode will integrate with projects, so
project-find-file will be the primary "find file" function. I can
provide a mode-specific binding, but I think a global one makes more
sense.

C-c M-f would make sense, but I think we exclude the meta modifier on
standard global keys for text terminals. C-c C-t is available, and is
near C-c C-f.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: standard key binding for project-find-file?
@ 2019-12-02 12:33 ` Robert Pluim
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Pluim @ 2019-12-02 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Stephen> I'd like to establish a standard global key binding for project-find-file. It
    Stephen> is useful in many modes, and in some cases can be useful in any buffer
    Stephen> (with a find project function that ignores mode).

    Stephen> The next version of ELPA ada-mode will integrate with projects, so
    Stephen> project-find-file will be the primary "find file" function. I can
    Stephen> provide a mode-specific binding, but I think a global one makes more
    Stephen> sense.

    Stephen> C-c M-f would make sense, but I think we exclude the meta modifier on
    Stephen> standard global keys for text terminals. C-c C-t is available, and is
    Stephen> near C-c C-f.

C-x C-f currently doesnʼt use a prefix arg.

Robert

* Re: standard key binding for project-find-file?
@ 2019-12-02 13:43 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2019-12-02 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake, emacs-devel

On 02.12.2019 13:47, Stephen Leake wrote:
> C-c C-t is available, and is
> near C-c C-f

'C-c C-t' is not bad, but why not 'C-c C-f'? It's unbound, too.

* Re: standard key binding for project-find-file?
@ 2019-12-02 18:42   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2019-12-02 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Stephen Leake, emacs-devel

Hello, Dmitry.

On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 15:43:52 +0200, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 02.12.2019 13:47, Stephen Leake wrote:
> > C-c C-t is available, and is
> > near C-c C-f

> 'C-c C-t' is not bad, but why not 'C-c C-f'? It's unbound, too.

C-c C-<letter> bindings are reserved for the use of major modes.  C-c
<other things> are reserved for users and other modes, mostly.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: standard key binding for project-find-file?
@ 2019-12-02 19:07 ` Matthias Meulien
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2019-12-02 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

Why not dedicate a prefix key (like C-x p) for all project-* commands
and use the f key for project-find-file?
--
Matthias

* RE: standard key binding for project-find-file?
@ 2019-12-02 20:52   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2019-12-02 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Meulien, Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Why not dedicate a prefix key (like C-x p) for all project-* commands
> and use the f key for project-find-file?

I hope you do not use `C-x p' for this.

---

FWIW -

Bookmark+ has 86 keys on prefix key `C-x p'.  It's
used this prefix key for 10 years.

And I'd suggest that vanilla Emacs do the same: use
`C-x p' for bookmark commands.  IMO, Emacs would be
well advised to split the congeries of commands that
are on `C-x r': rectangle, register, and bookmark
stuff.  (7 for rectangle, 12 for registers, 4 for
bookmarks.)

---

Bookmark+ has 2 prefix keys on `C-x p': `C-x p c'
(creation) and `C-x p t' (tags).  And `C-x p t'
itself has 2 prefix keys: `C-x p t +' and `C-x p t -'.

C-x p C-b       bmkp-previous-bookmark-repeat
C-x p C-f       bmkp-next-bookmark-repeat
C-x p C-k       bmkp-delete-bookmarks
C-x p C-l       bmkp-jump-to-list
C-x p RET       bmkp-toggle-autonamed-bookmark-set/delete
C-x p C-n       bmkp-next-bookmark-this-file/buffer-repeat
C-x p C-p       bmkp-previous-bookmark-this-file/buffer-repeat
C-x p C-u       bmkp-unlight-bookmark-here
C-x p M-w       bmkp-set-snippet-bookmark
C-x p ,         bmkp-this-file/buffer-bmenu-list
C-x p 0         bmkp-empty-file
C-x p 2         bmkp-clone-bookmark
C-x p :         bmkp-choose-navlist-of-type
C-x p =         bmkp-bookmarks-lighted-at-point
C-x p ?         bmkp-describe-bookmark-lighted-here
C-x p B         bmkp-choose-navlist-from-bookmark-list
C-x p E         bmkp-edit-bookmark-record
C-x p H         bmkp-light-bookmarks
C-x p I         bookmark-insert-location
C-x p K         bmkp-set-desktop-bookmark
C-x p L         bmkp-switch-bookmark-file-create
C-x p M         bookmark-set-no-overwrite
C-x p N         bmkp-navlist-bmenu-list
C-x p U         bmkp-unlight-bookmarks
C-x p b         bmkp-previous-bookmark-repeat
C-x p d         bookmark-delete
C-x p e         edit-bookmarks
C-x p f         bmkp-next-bookmark-repeat
C-x p g         bookmark-jump
C-x p h         bmkp-light-bookmark-this-buffer
C-x p i         bookmark-insert
C-x p j         bookmark-jump
C-x p l         bookmark-load
C-x p m         bmkp-bookmark-set-confirm-overwrite
C-x p n         bmkp-next-bookmark-this-file/buffer-repeat
C-x p o         bookmark-jump-other-window
C-x p p         bmkp-previous-bookmark-this-file/buffer-repeat
C-x p q         bookmark-jump-other-window
C-x p r         bmkp-edit-bookmark-name-and-location
C-x p s         bookmark-save
C-x p u         bmkp-unlight-bookmark-this-buffer
C-x p w         bookmark-write
C-x p x         bmkp-toggle-autotemp-on-set
C-x p y         bmkp-set-bookmark-file-bookmark
C-x p <C-down>  bmkp-next-lighted-this-buffer-repeat
C-x p <C-up>    bmkp-previous-lighted-this-buffer-repeat
C-x p <delete>  bmkp-delete-bookmarks
C-x p <deletechar>              bmkp-delete-bookmarks
C-x p <deleteline>              bmkp-delete-bookmarks
C-x p <down>    bmkp-next-bookmark-this-file/buffer-repeat
C-x p <kp-delete>               bmkp-delete-bookmarks
C-x p <left>    bmkp-previous-bookmark-repeat
C-x p <next>    bmkp-next-bookmark-w32-repeat
C-x p <prior>   bmkp-previous-bookmark-w32-repeat
C-x p <right>   bmkp-next-bookmark-repeat
C-x p <up>      bmkp-previous-bookmark-this-file/buffer-repeat
C-x p <wheel-down> bmkp-next-bookmark-this-file/buffer-repeat
C-x p <wheel-up> bmkp-previous-bookmark-this-file/buffer-repeat

C-x p c C-k     bmkp-wrap-bookmark-with-last-kbd-macro
C-x p c RET     bmkp-toggle-autonamed-bookmark-set/delete
C-x p c M-w     bmkp-set-snippet-bookmark
C-x p c F       bmkp-make-function-bookmark
C-x p c K       bmkp-set-desktop-bookmark
C-x p c M       bookmark-set
C-x p c a       bmkp-autofile-set
C-x p c f       bmkp-file-target-set
C-x p c m       bmkp-bookmark-set-confirm-overwrite
C-x p c s       bmkp-set-sequence-bookmark
C-x p c u       bmkp-url-target-set
C-x p c y       bmkp-set-bookmark-file-bookmark

C-x p t C-y     bmkp-paste-add-tags
C-x p t M-w     bmkp-copy-tags
C-x p t 0       bmkp-remove-all-tags
C-x p t V       bmkp-set-tag-value-for-navlist
C-x p t c       bmkp-copy-tags
C-x p t d       bmkp-remove-tags-from-all
C-x p t e       bmkp-edit-tags
C-x p t l       bmkp-list-all-tags
C-x p t p       bmkp-paste-add-tags
C-x p t q       bmkp-paste-replace-tags
C-x p t r       bmkp-rename-tag
C-x p t v       bmkp-set-tag-value

C-x p t - a     bmkp-untag-a-file
C-x p t - b     bmkp-remove-tags

C-x p t + a     bmkp-tag-a-file
C-x p t + b     bmkp-add-tags

* Re: standard key binding for project-find-file?
@ 2019-12-03  7:09     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2019-12-03  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Stephen Leake, Matthias Meulien, emacs-devel

> And I'd suggest that vanilla Emacs do the same: use
> `C-x p' for bookmark commands.  IMO, Emacs would be
> well advised to split the congeries of commands that
> are on `C-x r': rectangle, register, and bookmark
> stuff.  (7 for rectangle, 12 for registers, 4 for
> bookmarks.)

I don't see what's wrong with the current key bindings for bookmarks
or why they would need changing.  It seems to me that it would only
force users to relearn.

> Bookmark+ has 2 prefix keys on `C-x p': `C-x p c'
> (creation) and `C-x p t' (tags).  And `C-x p t'
> itself has 2 prefix keys: `C-x p t +' and `C-x p t -'.

I don't know which of these keys are relevant to Emacs.  Most of these
commands seems to only exist in your library, if I'm not mistaken?  Or
are you also suggesting to add new commands to Emacs bookmarks?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

* Re: standard key binding for project-find-file?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-12-03 20:49 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2019-12-03 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> C-c M-f would make sense, but I think we exclude the meta modifier on
> standard global keys for text terminals. C-c C-t is available, and is
> near C-c C-f.

Sigh. I meant C-x M-f, C-x C-t, so it would be similar to C-x C-f.

C-c * is reserved for major modes.

--
-- Stephe