* PCL-CVS: more diff options
@ 2003-09-25  7:27 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-09-25  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am in the habit of doing M-x cvs-update RET in the morning.  Say that I
then see that the file foo has been updated.  Now what I routinely want to know
is what has changed by this update.

WIBNI PCL-CVS offered a convenient way to see this?

Currently, I have to open the file, look at the current revision, then do
C-u C-x v = and specify the current revision minus one as the older version to
look at.

Kai

--
I just moved and started a new job.  Without Internet access
in my new home, response times will be high :-(

* Re: PCL-CVS: more diff options
@ 2003-09-25 18:08 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-09-25 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I am in the habit of doing M-x cvs-update RET in the morning.  Say that
> I then see that the file foo has been updated.  Now what I routinely want
> to know is what has changed by this update.

> WIBNI PCL-CVS offered a convenient way to see this?

The problem is that CVS doesn't really offer any way to do that.
If the file was locally modified, you can use the most recent
.#<file>.<rev>.  But otherwise, CVS doesn't remember which files
were updated and neither does it remember what was the previous
revision number.  PCL-CVS could try to do that, but for it to work
even if you exit/rerun PCL-CVS, we'd need to store it (in CVS/<something>
typically), which I'd rather avoid if possible).

What I do instead is to use `dh' *before* updating.  It also suffers from
problems, such as the race condition (someone might commit something
between the `dh' and the update).

In any case, patches are always welcome,

* Re: PCL-CVS: more diff options
@ 2003-09-25 21:13   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-09-25 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> I am in the habit of doing M-x cvs-update RET in the morning.  Say that
>> I then see that the file foo has been updated.  Now what I routinely want
>> to know is what has changed by this update.
>
>> WIBNI PCL-CVS offered a convenient way to see this?
>
> The problem is that CVS doesn't really offer any way to do that.
> If the file was locally modified, you can use the most recent
> .#<file>.<rev>.

Well, just diffing the most recent two revisions would be fine, I
think.

Hm.

Oh!  What if the file has changed by more than one revision while I
wasn't looking?  Yes, indeed.  Hm.

> But otherwise, CVS doesn't remember which files were updated and
> neither does it remember what was the previous revision number.

Hm, yes.  Hm.  It should ;-)

> PCL-CVS could try to do that, but for it to work even if you
> exit/rerun PCL-CVS, we'd need to store it (in CVS/<something>
> typically), which I'd rather avoid if possible).

Hm.  PCL-CVS would have to do "cvs status" first, so that it knows
the state, right?  Then a "cvs update" will say what has changed and
so it can do the right diff.

But if something was stored in CVS/foo, then maybe a history of
updates would be nice.  Then CVS could look in CVS/foo for when was
the last update performed and then diff on the date.  WDYT?

> What I do instead is to use `dh' *before* updating.  It also suffers from
> problems, such as the race condition (someone might commit something
> between the `dh' and the update).

Ah, yes.  Maybe I can remember to do that in the future.

I wish people would just write ChangeLog entries like the good boys.
But ChangeLog entries don't pay the rent and so I'll have to make do
without them, I guess.  (I am running cvs2cl from time to time, tho.)