* Adding new package to Gnu ELPA with no upstream
@ 2022-11-01 20:39 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2022-11-01 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Here are the steps I used to create the new gpr-mode package. Like the
similar ada-mode package, it has no upstream; I indent to only develop
this packge in ELPA. It does have devel and release branches.

$ cd c:/Projects/elpa/
$ git stash
$ git checkout --orphan externals/gpr-mode
$ git rm --cached "*"
$ git commit --allow-empty -m "new package gpr-mode"
$ git checkout -f main
# edit elpa-packages - copy from wisi
$ git commit -m "new package gpr-mode"
$ git push --set-upstream origin externals/gpr-mode
$ make packages/gpr-mode
# copy files, commit
$ cd packages/gpr-mode
$ git checkout -b externals-release/gpr-mode
$ git push --set-upstream origin externals-release/gpr-mode
$ git checkout externals/gpr-mode
$ cd c:/Projects/elpa/
$ git push
$ git stash pop

Is this worth adding in elpa/README? or is this case rare enough that it
will only confuse people?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Adding new package to Gnu ELPA with no upstream
@ 2022-11-01 21:59 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-11-01 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

> $ cd c:/Projects/elpa/
> $ git stash
> $ git checkout --orphan externals/gpr-mode
> $ git rm --cached "*"
> $ git commit --allow-empty -m "new package gpr-mode"
> $ git checkout -f main
> # edit elpa-packages - copy from wisi
> $ git commit -m "new package gpr-mode"
> $ git push --set-upstream origin externals/gpr-mode
> $ make packages/gpr-mode
> # copy files, commit
> $ cd packages/gpr-mode
> $ git checkout -b externals-release/gpr-mode
> $ git push --set-upstream origin externals-release/gpr-mode
> $ git checkout externals/gpr-mode
> $ cd c:/Projects/elpa/
> $ git push
> $ git stash pop

> Is this worth adding in elpa/README? or is this case rare enough that it
> will only confuse people?

Maybe a better option is to add a `make fresh/<PKG>` rule that does most
of the above steps for you (at least for non-release branch, and then
a subsequent rule to add a release branch)?

* Re: Adding new package to Gnu ELPA with no upstream
@ 2022-11-02 15:01   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2022-11-02 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> $ cd c:/Projects/elpa/
>> $ git stash
>> $ git checkout --orphan externals/gpr-mode
>> $ git rm --cached "*"
>> $ git commit --allow-empty -m "new package gpr-mode"
>> $ git checkout -f main
>> # edit elpa-packages - copy from wisi
>> $ git commit -m "new package gpr-mode"
>> $ git push --set-upstream origin externals/gpr-mode
>> $ make packages/gpr-mode
>> # copy files, commit
>> $ cd packages/gpr-mode
>> $ git checkout -b externals-release/gpr-mode
>> $ git push --set-upstream origin externals-release/gpr-mode
>> $ git checkout externals/gpr-mode
>> $ cd c:/Projects/elpa/
>> $ git push
>> $ git stash pop
>
>> Is this worth adding in elpa/README? or is this case rare enough that it
>> will only confuse people?
>
> Maybe a better option is to add a `make fresh/<PKG>` rule that does most
> of the above steps for you (at least for non-release branch, and then
> a subsequent rule to add a release branch)?

That makes sense.

I'll put it on my list, but since I'm done with new packages for a
while, I won't get to it soon.

--
-- Stephe