* [feature/native-comp] AOT eln files ignored if run from build tree
@ 2021-02-02  0:37 Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2021-02-02  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I have built emacs native-comp branch for 64bit Mingw64 with
NATIVE_FULL_AOT=1 (out of tree, so build dir != source dir).

I notice that if I run the built emacs from the build dir then the
prebuilt .eln files are ignored, and async compilation of the .eln file
happens again to add them to the user eln-cache dir.

The prebuilt .eln files are not found in the user eln-cache (expected)
or the installed emacs directory (also expected), but it looks like it
does not also check the build dir (relative to the running emacs rather
than relative to the install prefix).

Running from the build dir without installing is common for developers
building from source, so it would be useful to keep this working with
native AOT builds.

    AndyM

* Re: [feature/native-comp] AOT eln files ignored if run from build tree
@ 2021-02-02  9:13 ` akrl--- via Emacs development discussions.
From: akrl--- via Emacs development discussions. @ 2021-02-02  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Moreton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have built emacs native-comp branch for 64bit Mingw64 with
> NATIVE_FULL_AOT=1 (out of tree, so build dir != source dir).
>
> I notice that if I run the built emacs from the build dir then the
> prebuilt .eln files are ignored, and async compilation of the .eln file
> happens again to add them to the user eln-cache dir.
>
> The prebuilt .eln files are not found in the user eln-cache (expected)
> or the installed emacs directory (also expected), but it looks like it
> does not also check the build dir (relative to the running emacs rather
> than relative to the install prefix).
>
> Running from the build dir without installing is common for developers
> building from source, so it would be useful to keep this working with
> native AOT builds.
>
>     AndyM

Please open a bug so we can track this issue in the bug tracker.

Regards

  Andrea

* Re: [feature/native-comp] AOT eln files ignored if run from build tree
@ 2021-02-02 22:23   ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2021-02-02 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue 02 Feb 2021, akrl--- via "Emacs development discussions." wrote:

> Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have built emacs native-comp branch for 64bit Mingw64 with
>> NATIVE_FULL_AOT=1 (out of tree, so build dir != source dir).
>>
>> I notice that if I run the built emacs from the build dir then the
>> prebuilt .eln files are ignored, and async compilation of the .eln file
>> happens again to add them to the user eln-cache dir.
>>
>> The prebuilt .eln files are not found in the user eln-cache (expected)
>> or the installed emacs directory (also expected), but it looks like it
>> does not also check the build dir (relative to the running emacs rather
>> than relative to the install prefix).
>>
>> Running from the build dir without installing is common for developers
>> building from source, so it would be useful to keep this working with
>> native AOT builds.
>>
>>     AndyM
>
> Please open a bug so we can track this issue in the bug tracker.

Done, see bug 46256.

    AndyM