* gdb-ui sells Emacs
@ 2005-12-20 22:11 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-20 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I thought I should mention here that gdb-ui is a major turn-on for
newbies.  For the past few months I've several times seen people
exposed to Emacs for the first time who were very impressed by the
gdb-ui features and told me this one package is worth for them the
effort of learning to use Emacs in general and its debugger interface
in particular.

Good job, Nick!

(Speedbar is another turn-on, btw.)

* gdb-ui sells Emacs
@ 2005-12-21  0:13 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-12-21  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

 > I thought I should mention here that gdb-ui is a major turn-on for
 > newbies.  For the past few months I've several times seen people
 > exposed to Emacs for the first time who were very impressed by the
 > gdb-ui features and told me this one package is worth for them the
 > effort of learning to use Emacs in general and its debugger interface
 > in particular.
 >
 > Good job, Nick!
 >
 > (Speedbar is another turn-on, btw.)

There has been little feedback has been over the last year or so, and I've not
been sure if thats because people like it as it is, or because they don't like
it and therefore don't use it.  So thanks for sharing your experiences.

Nick

* Re: gdb-ui sells Emacs
@ 2005-12-21  8:21   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-12-21  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

>  > I thought I should mention here that gdb-ui is a major turn-on for
>  > newbies.  For the past few months I've several times seen people
>  > exposed to Emacs for the first time who were very impressed by the
>  > gdb-ui features and told me this one package is worth for them the
>  > effort of learning to use Emacs in general and its debugger interface
>  > in particular.
>  >
>  > Good job, Nick!
>  >
>  > (Speedbar is another turn-on, btw.)
>
> There has been little feedback has been over the last year or so,
> and I've not been sure if thats because people like it as it is, or
> because they don't like it and therefore don't use it.

More likely because they are taking it for granted.  It is an "oh,
Emacs does this now" thing.  Nothing to write home about unless it
does not work.

* Re: gdb-ui sells Emacs
@ 2005-12-21 11:32     ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2005-12-21 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:
>
>> There has been little feedback has been over the last year or so,
>> and I've not been sure if thats because people like it as it is, or
>> because they don't like it and therefore don't use it.
>
> More likely because they are taking it for granted.  It is an "oh,
> Emacs does this now" thing.  Nothing to write home about unless it
> does not work.

Or they are like me C++ programmer who reverted to writing stuff in
logfiles and on stdout as gdb is barely unusable to them.

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=375
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=2055
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=931
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=1512

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: gdb-ui sells Emacs
@ 2005-12-21 18:52       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-21 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Frank Schmitt <ich@frank-schmitt.net>
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:32:48 +0100
>
> Or they are like me C++ programmer who reverted to writing stuff in
> logfiles and on stdout as gdb is barely unusable to them.

Blame compiler maintainers who rush forward developing their code
generators and support for advanced language features without making
sure their cool code is described in the debug info in enough detail
for the debugger to DTRT with it.  In any sane development shop, no
new compiler feature is released until the debugger supports it, and
the compiler and debugger teams cooperate and coordinate very closely.

* Re: gdb-ui sells Emacs
@ 2005-12-21 19:53         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-12-21 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Frank Schmitt, emacs-devel