* More Common Lisp stuff...
@ 2003-09-17 12:21 Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2003-09-17 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm implementing Common Lisp symbols, packages, streams, readtables,
and the CL reader in Emacs Lisp.  Anyone else into that kind of stuff?

(No, I'm not pushing for merging more CL stuff into Emacs.)

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/

* Re: More Common Lisp stuff...
@ 2003-10-17  9:30 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2003-10-17  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org> writes:
> I'm implementing Common Lisp symbols, packages, streams, readtables,
> and the CL reader in Emacs Lisp.  Anyone else into that kind of stuff?
> (No, I'm not pushing for merging more CL stuff into Emacs.)

FIY, I have now implemented 429 of the 978 external symbols in the
COMMON-LISP package.

--

@ 2003-10-17 12:59   ` M. C. Widerkrantz
From: M. C. Widerkrantz @ 2003-10-17 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org> writes:

> Lars Brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org> writes:
>> I'm implementing Common Lisp symbols, packages, streams, readtables,
>> and the CL reader in Emacs Lisp.  Anyone else into that kind of stuff?
>> (No, I'm not pushing for merging more CL stuff into Emacs.)
>
> FIY, I have now implemented 429 of the 978 external symbols in the
> COMMON-LISP package.

Cool. When you are going to release it, Lars? What license are you
going to use?

Did you know that Ingvar Mattson <ingvar (at) bofh.se> and others are
trying to do it the other way around? Ingvar has written Common Lisp
code to be able to parse Emacs Lisp. I think Ingvar and friends are
trying to make Portable Hemlock Emacs Lisp compatible.

I think Martin "Rydis" Rydström <rydis (at) cd.chalmers.se> is into
this as a well.

Myself, I would like to see things go in another direction. Does
anyone know of a portable curses-like package for Common Lisp that I
could use to build an Emacs frontend and use Ingvar's elisp package to
make it Emacs compatible? Does anyone else have any similar plans?

--
MC, http://hack.org/mc/

* Re: More Common Lisp stuff...
@ 2003-10-17 16:11     ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-10-17 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

M. C. Widerkrantz <mc@hack.org> writes:

> Did you know that Ingvar Mattson <ingvar (at) bofh.se> and others are
> trying to do it the other way around? Ingvar has written Common Lisp
> code to be able to parse Emacs Lisp.

Does Ingvar know about CLOCC?  CLOCC has the following by Sam
Steingold:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/clocc/clocc/src/cllib/elisp.lisp?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/
There is no substitute for experience.

* Re: More Common Lisp stuff...
@ 2003-10-17 16:34     ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2003-10-17 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

M. C. Widerkrantz <mc@hack.org> writes:
> >> I'm implementing Common Lisp symbols, packages, streams, readtables,
> >> and the CL reader in Emacs Lisp.  Anyone else into that kind of stuff?
> >> (No, I'm not pushing for merging more CL stuff into Emacs.)
> > FIY, I have now implemented 429 of the 978 external symbols in the
> > COMMON-LISP package.
> Cool. When you are going to release it, Lars?

It's not ready for actual use yet, but it's available from CVS:
  http://www.nocrew.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/cvsweb.cgi/emacs-cl/
(see http://www.nocrew.org/software-cvs.html for instructions).

> What license are you going to use?

GPL.

> Did you know that Ingvar Mattson <ingvar (at) bofh.se> and others
> are trying to do it the other way around?

Yes, we are aware of each other's projects.

--

@ 2003-10-17 16:59       ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2003-10-17 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <alex@emacswiki.org> writes:
> M. C. Widerkrantz <mc@hack.org> writes:
> > Did you know that Ingvar Mattson <ingvar (at) bofh.se> and others are
> > trying to do it the other way around? Ingvar has written Common Lisp
> > code to be able to parse Emacs Lisp.
>
> Does Ingvar know about CLOCC?

Yes, he does.

> CLOCC has the following by Sam Steingold:

My impression is that the CLOCC stuff isn't very far along, nor is
anyone working on improving it.

--

@ 2003-10-17 18:43         ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-10-17 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * Lars Brinkhoff <ynef@abperj.bet> [2003-10-17 18:59:00 +0200]:
>
> Alex Schroeder <alex@emacswiki.org> writes:
>> M. C. Widerkrantz <mc@hack.org> writes:
>> > Did you know that Ingvar Mattson <ingvar (at) bofh.se> and others are
>> > trying to do it the other way around? Ingvar has written Common Lisp
>> > code to be able to parse Emacs Lisp.
>>
>> Does Ingvar know about CLOCC?
>
> Yes, he does.
>
>> CLOCC has the following by Sam Steingold:
>
> My impression is that the CLOCC stuff isn't very far along,

CLOCC/CLLIB/emacs allows compilation & execution of Emacs-Lisp code
using any ANSI CL implementation.

Works just fine.

> nor is anyone working on improving it.

huh?

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Old Age Comes at a Bad Time.

* Re: More Common Lisp stuff...
@ 2003-10-17 21:27           ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2003-10-17 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:
> > My impression is that the CLOCC stuff isn't very far along,
> CLOCC/CLLIB/emacs allows compilation & execution of Emacs-Lisp code
> using any ANSI CL implementation.

Any Emacs Lisp code, including programs using buffers, files, network
connections, keymaps, major/minor modes, etc?

> > nor is anyone working on improving it.
> huh?

As I wrote, it was my impression.  My apologies if it's incorrect.

--

@ 2003-10-17 23:15             ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-10-17 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * Lars Brinkhoff <ynef@abperj.bet> [2003-10-17 23:27:01 +0200]:
>
> Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:
>> > My impression is that the CLOCC stuff isn't very far along,
>> CLOCC/CLLIB/emacs allows compilation & execution of Emacs-Lisp code
>> using any ANSI CL implementation.
>
> Any Emacs Lisp code, including programs using buffers, files, network
> connections, keymaps, major/minor modes, etc?

Most of the above would require implementing Emacs C-level internals.
This has not been done.
Purely ELisp software, e.g., calendar, runs just fine, i.e., you can
use it to calculate dates &c.

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
I'm a Lisp variable -- bind me!