* ELPA vs ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu releases
@ 2014-07-19 18:47 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2014-07-19 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

What is the policy for packages which are now part of ELPA, but which
have directories under ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu where tar releases used to
be posted?

Will, or should, the ELPA releases be copied to ftp?

As one example:

For example, auctex's most recent release on ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex
is 11.87, with two styles of compressed tar and two styles of zip files.

ELPA, OTOH, has 11.87 and 11.87.1 through 11.87.6, all only available,
AFAICT, as uncompressed tar files.

The ftp site also has pre-compiled versions of the manuals in postscript
and pdf format.  The ELPA release, again AFAICT, has neither.

I want to ensure that the various distributions know where to look for
new versions of any packages which they've been re-distributing which
have moved to ELPA.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6

* Re: ELPA vs ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu releases
@ 2014-07-19 20:07 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-07-19 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos; +Cc: emacs-devel

> What is the policy for packages which are now part of ELPA, but which
> have directories under ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu where tar releases used to
> be posted?

So far, there's only AUCTeX in this situation, IIUC, and the two
distribution co-exist (i.e. the ftp site is the official AUCTeX
release, where the GNU ELPA site is just a packaging of that release).

> ELPA, OTOH, has 11.87 and 11.87.1 through 11.87.6, all only available,
> AFAICT, as uncompressed tar files.

These are all packaging the same 11.87 release.  Just with some
packaging errors fixed along the way.  They may also contain local
fixes, tho.

* Re: ELPA vs ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu releases
@ 2014-07-19 20:53   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-07-19 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> What is the policy for packages which are now part of ELPA, but which
>> have directories under ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu where tar releases used to
>> be posted?
>
> So far, there's only AUCTeX in this situation, IIUC, and the two
> distribution co-exist (i.e. the ftp site is the official AUCTeX
> release, where the GNU ELPA site is just a packaging of that release).

ada-mode is also in this situation;
http://stephe-leake.org/emacs/ada-mode/emacs-ada-mode.html is the
official release, and GNU ELPA is just a packaging of that release.

--
-- Stephe