* Re: Re: Change to `use-dialog-box-p'
@ 2023-05-22  5:33 Pedro A. Aranda Gutiérrez
From: Pedro A. Aranda Gutiérrez @ 2023-05-22  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: eliz, luangruo

Eli writes,

 > It's not a "behavior", it's a bug!  The behavior we will get with the
 > change you suggest will surprise (and annoy) many more users!

This thread comes in quite timely. I was wondering whether there is a
way to avoid GUI dialogs completely, even when you trigger a
functionality from the menu. Simple example would be 'File'->'Save as'.
Hidden files and directories are much easier accessed from the
minibuffer than from the GUI. So sometimes it's describe-key for the
menu-entry and then M-x the function and that's a bit convoluted from
the user point-of-view.

Thx, /PA

PS: This might be an RTFM, but I hope it gives you more input in your
discussion.

* Re: Change to `use-dialog-box-p'
@ 2023-05-22  9:27 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-05-22  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro A. Aranda Gutiérrez; +Cc: emacs-devel, eliz

Pedro A. Aranda Gutiérrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> Eli writes,
>
>> It's not a "behavior", it's a bug!  The behavior we will get with the
>> change you suggest will surprise (and annoy) many more users!

But we've had this old behavior for decades without complaints.

> This thread comes in quite timely. I was wondering whether there is a
> way to avoid GUI dialogs completely

Customize the variable use-dialog-box.

Thanks.

* Re: Change to `use-dialog-box-p'
@ 2023-05-22 10:17   ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2023-05-22 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel, eliz

On Mon, 22 May 2023 at 11:27, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Pedro A. Aranda Gutiérrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Eli writes,
> >
> >> It's not a "behavior", it's a bug!  The behavior we will get with the
> >> change you suggest will surprise (and annoy) many more users!
>
> But we've had this old behavior for decades without complaints.

Maybe because some of us are not very vocal ;-) or have other more pressing
issues
but I wasn't too happy with this.

> > This thread comes in quite timely. I was wondering whether there is a
> > way to avoid GUI dialogs completely
>
> Customize the variable use-dialog-box.

Yes, again, you are right and it surely is an RTFM but the info is
somewhere down in Chapter 21.x ;-)

Thank you...

--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: Change to `use-dialog-box-p'
@ 2023-05-22 11:28   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-22 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: paaguti, emacs-devel

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  eliz@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 17:27:25 +0800
>
> Pedro A. Aranda Gutiérrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Eli writes,
> >
> >> It's not a "behavior", it's a bug!  The behavior we will get with the
> >> change you suggest will surprise (and annoy) many more users!
>
> But we've had this old behavior for decades without complaints.

The situation you are talking about almost never happens, because
last-nonmenu-event is almost never nil.  So the lack of complaints
does not surprise me.

And you haven't answered my question:

> Btw, use-dialog-box-p also looks at last-input-event, and only pops up
> a dialog box if that is non-nil.  In your scenario, is
> last-input-event non-nil?  If so, what is it, and where did it come
> from?

Please answer this, I think there's some factor here we need to
understand.  Right after startup, last-input-event should be nil.